What's new

MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL 16X9 at last......but there's an unfortunate catch (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Just got the Japanese R2 MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL......

The good news: it's widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 stereo (making this the only proper widescreen version released on DVD in the world that I'm aware of).

The Bad news: it's the cut version!!! :angry: So I guess if you don't mind the studio-imposed cut version without "When Love Is Gone," this is the DVD for you but....what a disappointment

Is there some kind of conspiracy against a proper DVD of this movie being released?? The pan-and-scam R1 DVD is at least the long version......sigh. Guess my old laserdisc isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

BLAST! the only muppet dvd i need to complete my collection (just got widescreen treasure island/very merry christmas movie/muppet christmas movie from the UK)

BLAST!

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Durn, I just ordered the Christmas Carol disc. Does anyone know if Amazon.co.jp allows returns?

Just to confirm before I order, the UK treasure island is Widescreen and uncut?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys. I should have known from the exterior CHRISTMAS CAROL packaging that "86 minutes" was a bad running time! It also contains no supplements at all, so I guess I'm stuck with it. Oh well -- at least it only cost $23 or so to ship over here (quite unlike most Japanese DVDs!).

Andrew, as far as I know, TREASURE ISLAND has only been released in that one version....there aren't any "variant" prints I don't believe.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Argh.

I just watched my DVD-r of the laserdisc (yes, it is uncut).

How could you possibly cut that song and have the scene make any sense?

My DVD-r looks a lot better than I thought it would so I guess I'll try to send the DVD back to amazon.jp. Unfortunately, their return policy is 30 days after ship and their expected arrival date is 30+ days from that . . .

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Disney cut the song from the U.S. theatrical prints because it "made young children squirm" or something along those lines. Guess it was "too adult" for the little ones -- which resulted in that hideous edit (Caine is sitting one second, crying the next in the theatrical version).

Brian Henson was on record as being appalled that it was cut, and it was restored for all the U.S. video versions (laser and VHS).

Alas, some of the theatrical prints still remain in circulation (and when it airs on TV it's often in the shorter version), which is why the Japan DVD is cut :frowning:

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up the the Japanese R2 from eBay for $10 so I got a pretty good deal. I have the R1 and I'm not normally one for double dipping but I've never seen this in widescreen so I couldn't resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks