What's new

Multizone receiver (1 Viewer)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Mark,

You can always use a speaker selector off the Denon's speaker outputs. This would allow you to wire up a number of speakers without risk. However, if you are going to use impedance matching volume controls in each zone, you really don't need a switch. Most if not all turn off the speakers at the minimum setting and the impedance matching feature of the volume control is what will protect the Denon's amp.

-Dave

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well.. I do see at some other places listed as in stock at that price...

With this type of system, you can wire more speakers, but independent volume control is not possible. You just keep series / paralleling them to keep your impeadence at 8ohm or higher.

The mulit-room becomes distribution at that point, and really needs a distribution amplifier.

The $400 AVR feeding something like the niles is exactly what I installed, worked very well. His was just 2 zones though, but it worked and performed like a champ.

Decent audio distribution requires some money. I have also zoned this stuff out at the line level with a local AVR and/or amp in each room. That works better in my opinion, I mean you cna get decent 2 channel Recievers now for under $100.00.

For what you want to do and exaclty what you want, something like the niles is really awesome. The individual channel volume controls can be wired in the room you want to control back to the amp. It's pretty slick. The sound is what got me, well and got the owner too. I mean, it sounded fantastic.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
The NAD T753 can be converted into a multi-souce, 3 (or even 4 with an additional amp) zone stereo receiver with all it's pre-ins and outs for all channels.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I am using the Sony STR-DA3000ES with a second zone (outside deck). The 5000ES is very similiar and will only pass audio from analog sources, each zone has independant source and volume control for the zone. You will need external amplification and with the number of speakers you are talking about you will want either a bunch of amps or a fairly capable one. For my setup I am using this Sonic Impact Amp (use digital tripath chip) VERY inexpensive and sounds great. http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sit5066.html
It easily drives my outdoor speakers and you could probably use several of them to drive your proposed setup w/ impedance volume controls at each location.

OK. What I am gathering from everyone's postings is that the amount of speakers and rooms that I am trying to do is going to cost some big money for any decent quality. Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board a little. I really do not have a ton of money to be spending on this solution. I just knew that my walls were open right now so it was the right time to do the wiring.

But what I think I have learned is that if I get a multizone receiver I can then take each zone and go to multiple speakers. However in order to do this I need to either go through a switch or have impedance volume controls on each. Does this seem correct?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Anybody used the impedance volume controls???

I found they just don't really work on this type of multiple rooms being fed from one modern normal amplifier is all. Used to work when you could get the 70v type distribution / amps going. (You adjust the volume on one room, and it either effects the volume or the sound quality in another room) Not total independence is all.

I still say, you will need a distribution amp to do it.

John

I am confused because you say that I will need a distribution amp to do what I want. Where I am confused is that there are these speaker selection systems out there that seem to be exactly what I am looking for. They seem to allow you to select amongst multiple sets of speakers off of a single receiver output.
Something such as the Niles SPS6 or even the phoenix gold box I spoke of earlier. Why can't I connect one of these to a receiver output (zone) and split it this way? this woul dbe fairly cheap.

Mark

John S

Senior HTF Member
The selection switches will work... The volume thing in my experiences is bad. It will be interesting to see what you think. Maybe I just didn't implement the volume controlls correctly I dunno. I tried it, if I turned the volume, it effected the other rooms that were on at the time being fed from the same amp.

I am sure you know a lot more about this then I do. I am a pc /networking guy trying to figure out audio. So if you had trouble with it I have a feeling I would have the same trouble.

So you do believe that I could use a selection switch and get my model done just without the impedance volume controls. I could set this up initially and then play around with the volume controls afterwards.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes.. switching works very well and is what most people go for in the end.

As I said back in the day, well I am sure like telephone vendors still sell them... You had a 70v system where you could easily have volume control locally. I only tried it once, so there may be products out there that will do this. What I had was advertised as such, but just didn't cut the mustard, they didn't come with intructions or anything and were cheap at the local electricians supply house.

Thanks everyone. This has been extremely helpful. I think I am going to try and go with the switching method. This seems to be the best solution for me in my price range.

I will look for a good receiver that has two zones. I will make zone1 my Home Theater and I will make the other zone go out to a switch. I will get a 4 zone switch and use this. I will probably set this project up in a couple of months as I am still trying to build the house right now. I will post results once I get setup.

BillyHC

Agent
just in case, don't forget to plan/consider how you're going to change channels/selections/etc. from the other zones.

it might just be as worthwhile to get multiple cheaper receivers to supply the kind of music you need (cheaper 2 channel receivers for rooms you're only going to do 2-channel music in)

also, consider what happens when all channels are being driven, and remember to put some discount on the available power vs. what manufacturers want to state. :)

good luck and have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks