What's new

Multi-Processor Shootout MNHTUG Sponsored Event (1 Viewer)

Joe Hays

Agent
Date: Friday September 26th 2008; 6PM.

Where: Steve Herrala’s home owner of Sound Video (PM me for specifics).

Hello All,

The Minnesota Home Theater User Group (MNHTUG) is sponsoring a home theater processor shootout. So far, we are going to include the Integra DTC 9.8, Denon’s AVP-A1HDC1, B&K’s new REF-70, Marantz AV8003, Lexicon’s MC-12B, and any other preamp processors that our members bring along. Most of these brands are being supplied by Sound Video of MN. Based off of time constraints, we will limit it to around 6 preamp processors.

When we held our amp shootout a few years ago, I think we had 11 different amps and that got to be too many for a good comparison (you can still see the pictures at http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49814083YZUuyz

Everyone is welcome to attend. Yes, you are welcome to fly in if you like. We will be following the same mythology that we used back in 2003 when we had our amp shootout. Due to time constraints, we are going to focus on audio quality. The exact approach has not been determined and will be shaped by people's post. But, we will only be listening to the digital in (not analog bypass) in “large” and (probably) in stereo. If time permits, we will examine the video quality quickly of the top three. Or, we might have to reschedule another event to accomplish this task.

Please P.M. me if you are interested in joing us. We are expecting about 20 sets of ears, so we will have to limit it to first come, first served. All subjective level matched results without EQ or room correction will be tallied in a spreadsheet and posted on this and other forums with subject descriptions. If anyone has a spreadsheet format that they have used in the past, please send me a copy, my last one didn't look all that great.

Pizza will be served at a break, but please bring your own beverage of choice.

I’m interested in selecting my new prepro based off of what I hear at the shootout. Hope to see you there.

Joe Hays
Moderator of the MNHTUG

Joe Hays

Agent
Yes it does, at least the Ref 50 did so I will assume that the Ref 70 does as well. They provide a very nice microphone with the unit that you use to calibrate the Ref 50 (and 70 I am assuming) to be used in your room. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Cool thing to do but you guys are crazy...there is no WAY I'd ever disconnect all them there wires for a shootout! ;)

Joe Hays

Agent
Kevin,
You may be right, there is no room EQ with the B&K. I must have confused it with the Intega that I have now and the Parasound that I had before my Ref 50. I will verify when I have the shootout and get to spend some a few hours with the B&K rep.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Joe- I have heard that it might be an upgrade in the future? Please post back.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe Hays

Agent
If anyone else is still interested in attending, let me know ASAP so I can send you the directions.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread