What's new

Multi-Language Movies (1 Viewer)

Caleb Penner

Agent
Recently, I've become more interested in other languages.(than English)

Could you recommend to me some movies worth seeing that are in multiple languages within the same movie?

Examples include:
The Bourne Identity: A little bit of French and German.
The Red Violin: Lots of French, German and Italian.

I can speak English and French, and am working on my German. I know enough to (barely) get by in Germany.

Thanks in advance. I expect many responses to my first thread.

Caleb Penner

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Dances with Wolves is in English and Lakota. Odds are that it'll be in the top two or three of any films named in this thread.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Bottle Rocket where the spanish translations are used to hilarious effect.
Are you looking soley for films with multi-lingual dialogue? What about films that have only one language?
Bruce

Caleb Penner

Agent
Thanks guys.

Bruce, I'm only looking for movies with multi-languages. It doesn't matter which languages, English doesn't even have to be one of them.

Hey, I just thought of another one: Babette's Feast, in Danish and a little French.

Caleb Penner

Zane Charron

Second Unit
'The Savior' and 'The Peacemaker' both have quite a bit of Serbo-Croation. Although technically a French film, 'Grand Illusion' is all in French and German.
Of course, any foreign film will work. Plenty of good ones out there, especially from Criterion.
You might try 'Incubus' to brush up your Esperanto. Hell, 'Trainspotting' might even qualify. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Autumn Sonata is in Swedish and English
Rohmer's Summer is in French but has one scene played in German and English.
Patton is in English and German.
Fox And His Friends is in German, French, and a few lines of English.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
The Godfather and especially The Godfather Part II has a lot of Italian in it (Robert de Niro was the first actor to win an Oscar for a role not primarily in the English Language, I think).

Caleb Penner

Agent
Thanks. I'll try to rent these sometime.

I thought of Starwars, but it doesn't count because they aren't "Real" languages. I mean Klingon is more of a language than "Huttese" or R2's language.

Caleb Penner

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Caleb Penner wrote:
This is in no way a recommendation, since I haven't ever seen more than snippets of the movie in tv reviews, but
Paul Schrader's Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Warner Bros., 1985) with (plenty of?) Japanese dialog would seem to fit the bill.
John Boorman's Excalibur (1981) has a snippet or two of Old Irish in the "charm of making" heard several times at crucial points in the story ("anal nathrach . . . ."). (Unfortunately for authenticity's sake, the Arthurians would have been speaking Old Welsh or Cornish, and not Irish, in medieval Britain.)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
8 1/2- Italian, French and English
Barry Lyndon- English, German and French
Three Kings- English and Arabic

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Try the HONG KONG IMPORT (R0 by Universe Laser&Video is the legit one) NOT the upcoming dubbed and butchered Dimension version of Jackie Chan's The Accidental Spy. Half the movie is in English, half in Cantonese with a dash of Korean in a few places

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
You definately want to check out both No Man's Land and Dark Blue World.
Back and forth between languages all the time. NML has several languages and deals with it as a major issue at times.
Monsoon Weddding has characters using basically a constant mix of languages in a way that they are accustomed to.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding has a good mix of Greek and English, though it is mostly an English film. There are several very funny language jokes in there.
Yi-Yi is a good one because you have different Asian characters using English as the common language at one point, which is pretty interesting.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steven Spielberg's
English
German
Japanese
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
English
French
Spanish
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
English
Arabic
French
Hebrew
German
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
English
Chinese
Indian
Schindlers List
English
German
Hebrew
Saving Private Ryan
English
German
French
and so on....:)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I haven't seen these:

Eat A Bowl of Tea
Joy Luck Club

but I believe that they have a fair bit of Chinese (dunno if it's Cantonese or Mandarin, maybe even both) in them, apart from English of course. oddly enough, I don't think The Last Emperor actually had any spoken Mandarin in it, not that I remember anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks