What's new

MULHOLLAND DRIVE DVD (including chapter stop discussion) (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The probelms start to occur with the soundtrack. The Dts version has been encoded at an extremely high level in comparison to a reference volume level of 0db (a Lexicon MC-12 was utilised for the purposes of this review) and is unfortunately plagued by instances of gross distortion, most especially with dialogue
I could be wrong, but I believe this was David Lynch's intention. I read somewhere that in notes to the projectionist, Lynch specifies that the sound be cranked up.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
MArk Walker -- you have made similar conculsions to my own. I was interested in looking at some of the "clues" too.

The Red Lampshade. I can't tie it together.

The first instance is when the dwarf guy's henchman calls on the phone. The phone that rings is next to the red lampshade with an ashtray. In the reality part at the end (or is this another dream since diane is suddenly all dressed up waiting for Camilla to pick her up), diane answers Camilla's call next to the same red lampshade. So the red lampshade is in Diane's apartment. Why is the guy calling her?

Also, could it be construed that

the ending is the dream since Betty and Rita have sex and then fall asleep. Then Rita "wakes up" and commences the whole Silencio sequence. It makes sense to me that the Sliencio sequence marks Diane waking from her dream based on the MC's monologue and her shaking in the seat. but since the two were sleeping, maybe the whole ending was the dream.

Also, do you think ABC was planning on airing this letterboxed or would Lynch have panned and scanned it?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Overall I am pleased with the MD transfer. The theatrical prints I saw (one on each coast) struck me as being uniformly dark and grainy. The DVD, on the other hand, still retains a solid black level but much of the grain and noise seems 'smoothed over' somehow.
I also noticed (and this could be my player) slight yellowish hues on flesh tones throughout the picture, most notably on Bettie. The scene where Rita has stepped from the shower with only a towel... her left shoulder and upper arm take on a mustard yellow color.. not sure if this is intentional (a bruise?) or just my player, but it's not a color issue I have ever encountered with another film before.
I have only heard the DTS 5.1 track. Clarity is superb, although there is no consistant reference level throughout the picture. Most of the dialogue between Bettie and Rita is clear and center-oriented, whereas much of the other dialogue seems a little faded. The most affecting audio comes during the "sixteen reasons" audition scene, and the Club Silencio scene, where the back channels suddenly spring to life and the volume really fleshes out. The brilliant score lingers in the background throughout much of the film, leaning on the LFE pretty heavily.
Some other good moments, sound-wise:
The car crash... metal against metal! The director's golf club against the car's windshield. The light flickering on in the corral, pre-Cowboy.
I seem to remember inconsistant audio levels throughout Mulholland Drive on each ocassion in the theater, and it is my belief that it is director's intent.
The lack of chapter stops is really an inconvenience, although Lynch's perogative. The entire film is 'Chapter 1,' and one must either type in the time code or fast-forward in order to reach a certain scene. Lynch is trying to maintain the integrity of his vision, and while I admire that (as I am the type of person who can't look away from the screen, and must watch movies like MD uninterrupted), there are some people who may get called away in the middle of the film, who will want to pick up where they left off. The lack of chapter stops makes this an inconvenience.
One final note about the 'digital blurring' of Laura Elena Harring's full frontal nudity. The blurring is noticeable, but the shot itself lasts literally one second. I'll admit it was distracting (because I was looking for it), and it is noticeable, but it does not compromise the film for me. I also acknowledge that this is an issue that will not be resolved anytime soon. Either way, this is an amazing film, which in my book reaches levels of cinematic profundity and genius.
Film: :star::star::star::star: (out of 4)
Video: :star::star::star: (out of 4)
Audio: :star::star::star: 1/2 (out of 4)
Joseph

Also, do you think ABC was planning on airing this letterboxed or would
Lynch have panned and scanned it?
The term "panned and scanned" might be sort of a misnomer in this case, since the pilot was composed for the TV screen. As a matter of fact, Lynch even sent special instructions to theaters showing the film asking them to raise the matting slightly, presumably for heads that went all the way to the top of the frame. I saw the 90 min. version of the pilot and it was definitely full frame.
http://www.mhvf.net/forum/general/posts/124225049.html

Michael Dehaven

Stunt Coordinator
Mulholland Drive was to be a television drama/series. It was shot down by the execs and Lynch had to re-imagine and re-shoot an ending. Mulholland Drive has everything I hate/love about Lynch. The stylistic choices are aggravating, especially the Twin Peaks deadpan acting style. The Diners and street scenes, the clumsy hitman, the dreadlocked homeless monster, the man who dreams the dreadlocked homeless monster, Robert Forster as the Police detective is seen once early on and never again. These are all characters which would have been fleshed out later in a Television series. They do not play well in the context of a film. This complicates and confuses the story elements ad-nauseum. The two hour wait for the Lynch Mind ***** is too much to ask of an audience especially when the main course is a convoluted tape and glue job. Lynch has his usual amount of weirdness on display but it isn't enough to make this a film. I thought the first two hours would never end. This probably would have been a killer TV show but as a film it is disjointed, meandering and meaningless.

Film:**/****

Video: ****/****

Audio design: **/**** (The cheesy synth tracks are obviously designed for TV)

Audio: ****/****

Michael Dehaven

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Joseph Young,

Obviously I stated my opinion and my opinion alone. I don't see any notation that this is also the opinion of Joseph Young. No reason to put me down for my opinion. I haven't taken offense at anyone's elses statements concerning this film. If you have a differing view please write it down. That I am in a minority in this thread is also quite obvious. What I wrote is subjective and reflects only my view and nothing more.

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
I imagine some of you have read this tidbit at the Digital Bits:
"First, there are no chapter stops on the [Mulholland Drive] DVD. It's NOT a defect of the disc. Lynch has said in the past that films aren’t books and therefore shouldn't have chapters. His films will all be offered on DVD without chapter stops in the future."
What does everyone think of this? Personally, I have to disagree with Lynch's point of view. Movies are visual stories, (and in many cases movies are made from books), so I fail to see why chapters are so bad that they shouldn't be included on a film. Plus if I watch part of a movie, then get interrupted for an extended period of time (and forget to hit the "bookmark" button), it helps to be able to jump back to the chapter where I left off.
What's your 2 cents?
Ryan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I think Lynch misses the point: chapter stops are purely a convenience feature. They don't encourage people to look at the film in terms of chapters, but simply provide convenient "markers" and pause points for people studying the film. Or say you missed an important line of dialogue or an interesting shot--you can always back up to the start of the chapter and repeat the segment.

Chapter stops aren't a part of the creative process at all. Lynch is, well, not being realistic.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Surprisingly enought, I rarely (if ever) use chapter stops anyway. And I'll watch a film any way Lynch wants me to watch it....that is, as long as the theatrical presenation is in tact :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Besides, a determined person could bypass Lynch's dictates and make up his OWN "chapter stops" by simply noting the elapsed time at various points, and entering the time directly.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Supposedly, this was Lynch's reaction to an early master of the DVD which had a chapter titled 'Naked Crotch Scene for the Internet' in the chapter listings. :D
Seriously though, Lynch isn't in touch with reality if he thinks by removing chapter stops he can mandate how people will experience his film. All it does is frustrate his audience by removing a standard feature of the DVD user interface.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Haven't both of Lynch's DVD acts on Mulholland Drive proven the obvious?

He's nuts.

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... interesting responses thus far.

Considering how I remember many people (including myself) not liking how certain laserdiscs lacked chapter stops, I'm surprised that some people seem to be embracing Lynch's non-chapter approach. We've been bugging the directors and movie studios to push the dvd specs to the max, and now all of a sudden Lynch is ripping out one of the most basic features of DVD right out from under us.

I agree with Jack that chapter stops are not part of the creative process and should really be kept in the DVD for the sake of convenience.

Ryan

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I find the lack of chapter stops to be annoying. I think the best comprimise would be to use chapter stops, but not to make chapter selection available from the menu.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Robert Zemekis did not want chapters on the laserdisc of Forrest Gump. He changed his view though for the DVD released.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I don't think Lynch's position on this is anything to applaud, but otoh, I'm not going to skip buying his films because of this very minor annoyance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks