What's new

Mr. Ed LIVES! (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by MilesH

I hate to debunk your theory but Columbia House got uncut episodes not featured on the MGM DVDs like the Dodgers episode.

I'm more then happy to be debunked. Anything to get more information that would make it all easier to understand. Although I don't believe I ever said the MGM best of collections were the only uncut episodes. The question is whether any of the episode that appeared cut in the season one release were previously released uncut? Are you saying they were by Columbia House?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like this sort of thing happens frequently with TV/DVD releases.... a studio gets feedback from customers about edited episodes, or they don't research the prints that they obtain from a major studio rights owner. It's a shame that this happens.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb

Anything to get more information that would make it all easier to understand.
Brad, you hit the target as far as I'm concerned. It's the lack of communication for customers that is a problem for us.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Brad, you hit the target as far as I'm concerned. It's the lack of communication for customers that is a problem for us.

Jeff, this behavior would be a bit more understandable from a big studio since they typically see no need for communicating with the little guy. But especially from the smaller companies, you would think they would at least get it. I obviously have no idea if it was just a mixup or if this was the best of what was available. But you would have to think that they at least realized what they had at some point in the process.

It's all about managing expectations, plain and simple. People tend to be more tolerant when they knows what going on. To just push something out with flaws to this crowd with no explanation, or to play ignorant is any easy way to lose loyalty and business. I recall when Timeless put out the word that they were searching for episodes of the Texan in an attempt to put together a complete series set. I can respect the effort and had no complaints when eight or so episodes ended up missing. A little communication to please a fan base can go along way.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Been out of town for a couple of days, but I wanted to echo what Brad and Jeff have been saying. Bottom line, we don't know the processes nor the terms of the agreement that Shout and MGM have in regards to this rental of MR. ED. I still say you have to cut the little guys more slack than the major studios because it's not Shout's vault and it's not Shout's own property we are talking about. On top of that, they definitely don't have the finances nor the machines/people necessary to do the remastering work themselves, so they really do have to take what is given to them.

Now, if someone wants to say Shout shouldn't take the deal at all unless the company they are renting from can supply them with pristine, uncut prints to begin with then so be it. I won't argue with you. But just keep this in mind. If the studio in question has pristine, uncut prints to begin with it's probably doubtful they are going to rent the show out to Shout when they could just release it themselves at that point. I imagine the thought from the majors is that since the show isn't remastered it's easier for them to rent it out to Shout and get just a small cut back from a property they own but don't want to spend restoration finances on. It just stands to reason that's what is going on.

Is it possible wrong prints are pulled from studio vaults as well? I'm sure it has happened before and will unfortunately happen again. And IF (and that's a big "if") that's what happened here - if MGM had pristine, uncut prints for every 1st Season episode and some yahoo just pulled the wrong episodes in a few cases - if that's what happened then Shout should bear a bit of the blame because they could/should have noticed that and inquired back to MGM to get better prints for those 8 episodes. Problem is we don't know if that's what happened. People can conjecture all day long but until the studios - all of them - start being more open with their info we will never know who's really to blame. And that's also the perfect point that Brad and Jeff made. Studio disclosure, or lack thereof, is just about the biggest problem I have with the entire industry. One would need 007 on the case in order to get the answers we need for this mystery.

Gary "I'll eventually pick this up - but it will need to be at a major discount first" O.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bought the set and I noticed the cuts. However, Given the fact that MGM obviously didnt care to release the series in full (Because if they did they would have done it instead of the best of sets) And given the fact that there was a lawsuit involving Mr Ed brought by the Estate of Walter Brooks, Im Happy it came out and I will take what I can get

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Gary I agree I'll pick it up but not at $35 they want that kind of money from me give me a uncut set, under $20 is what i'm looking for for this set.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ChrisALM

I am disappointed to hear about the edited episodes of Mister Ed showing up on the Shout Season 1 set. Does anyone actually know why or how this happened?
Yeah, it's easy to figure out how it happened. No one at Shout knows what they are doing. They are clueless. And they have no quality control. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that you have shows that come in at 25:30 and then a few that are way shorter to realize something is wrong. Believe me, uncut tape transfers exist as they have aired in various places. Fox grabs whatever is easiest to reach on the shelf and sends it to Shout, who then doesn't bother to check. You would think after this has happened over and over that they might get a clue. No such luck.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

No one at Shout knows what they are doing. They are clueless. And they have no quality control.
No, you wanna know who doesn't know what they are doing, are clueless, and have no quality control whatsoever? CBS, and their ever-growing refusal to listen to fans over music edits, especially after the Fugitive debacle.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I have compared the cut episode of "The Contest" (22:00) with the uncut version (25:30) and noticed because the syndicated cut version has been speeded up it is ony missing 90 seconds of footage instead of the full 3 and a 1/2 minutes.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I didn't buy the set. I just rented one disc from Netflix so I couldn't compare them all. My guess is since the cut episodes all came from the same source (syndicated prints) the cut episodes are probably all sped up. The uncut episodes are not rare since they aired on TV land in the mid 90's. I would think most Mr. Ed fans who had a satellite dish 12 years ago probably have them. Why shout factory didn't have them is anybody's guess.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
That is sad news. I thought she was one of the absolutely most gorgeous women on television. She definitely had the most curvaceous figure I think of anyone who had a regular series role in the 60s.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

That is sad news. I thought she was one of the absolutely most gorgeous women on television. She definitely had the most curvaceous figure I think of anyone who had a regular series role in the 60s.
Indeed. In fact when this first started on Nick @ Nite as a teenager, I had watched 10 or 12 episodes before I realized there was anyone else in the cast :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks