What's new

Mr. Ed, a Zebra? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm having trouble accepting this story, even though its on Snopes.com. An article there claims that Mr. Ed was portrayed by a Zebra. Because it was filmed and broadcast in black and white, viewers could not tell the difference. Wha?

It goes on to mention that officials in early NFL black and white broadcasts caused many problems. This is do not remember.

Here's a link to the story: http://www.snopes.com/lost/mistered....n=color#toggle

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
What gave it away was when it said that because the NFL was broadcast in black and white the players kept running into the refs because they couldn't see the stripes. I guess they all had little monitors. LOL

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'm pretty sure it's true, Mr Ed was in fact a zebra.

I'll admit, the bit about the NFL games and the Johnny Cash concert seem STUPID. The people, (the players and the prison guards), were there, they were seeing the other people, (refs and prisoners), in color, unless the had color-blindness.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Note the section of the Snopes site this "story" resides in:

In this case, "I found it on snopes" does not indicate that the story is true. :D

Joe

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
That's why I've never understood the purpose of that section. It cheapens the authority that the site otherwise has.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I certainly agree with that statement. I was not trying to perpetuate anything. I was reading that article with the understanding that the purpose of Snopes was to debunk crap like this. I didn't see the section that Joseph quoted.

I think they are diluting the value of the website. The link that leads to this article reads: "Television's Mr. Ed was a horse" and is flagged with the red circle to indicate the statement is false. They use red and green circles throughout the site to indicate true and false.

I was sort of taken in, by believing that Snopes was publishing this as fact, but I still couldn't believe it, which resulted in this posting. I guess I'm one of those "who are born every minute.":)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

I didn't mean for what I wrote to come off sounding like it probably did...

It's just that people often post outrageous or questionable things like this (usually in the AHL) with a "wink wink nudge nudge" sensibility, intended strictly as a joke, but I couldn't tell if your post was one of those or if it was serious. It sounded serious (which you have subsequently confirmed) and that's why I treated it as such.

But, in case it was intended facetiously and I was stomping it right out of the gate, that's why I apologized upfront.

I also agree about that section of Snopes.com. It's fine for what it is, but I have very often seen things linked and referenced out of the overall context, usually because people didn't know about that section and its purpose (exactly as happened here), and that's when the misinformation starts to flow.

Too bad, since I absolutely love Snopes.com otherwise.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn't have any problem with what you wrote, I can understand why someone might wonder about my intentions, considering the subject.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I heard about football and black & white TV was they made one team wear a light color and the other a dark color so it would be easier to tell which team was which for those watching the game on a B&W set.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
So everyone is saying this is from a section on Snopes were they treat something not true, as though it were true? Well that is f'd up! I read that Mr. Ed thing a long time ago and I really thought it was legit, because Snopes is usually reliable and I didn't know they had a bogus section like that.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Think about it for a second.

If there's one thing black and white TV or film is good for, it's telling black from white. The old iconoscope and I/O cameras couldn't hold a black level, so large surfaces tended to wash out to the same medium grey, but edges of black-to-white and white-to-black were ultra-sharp. You might not be able to tell a brown horse from a grey one, but a zebra would be instantly recognizable.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Ed was not a Zebra. The whole idea that a zebra would show up as white on a black and white broadcast is absurd. The only thing that is going to show as white is white. I am assuming all of you are just going along with this joke.

I found this at http://www.tvacres.com/horses_mistered.htm

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I can't imagine what kind of "verification" you could need for this, but I'm sure there are plenty of examples — the only one I can think of right now is Abbot & Costello's Africa Screams, which is bound to have some stock footage of zebras, but it's not as though they would look different than Holstein cows, or even black sign-lettering on a white background. The leopard in Bringing Up Baby was easy enough to see, and it was black on orange. There are enough monochrome films set in Africa that I'm sure you could find several examples, but the question is rather silly.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Black and white broadcasts can show black and white. That is why they call it Black and white. So a zebra would look exactly like a zebra. A ref would look like a ref.

Wow. I think I lost a month of time and it is still April 1.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well in my case, I thought it was some kind of peculiarty in the way they filmed back then, (see more below). That, and the fact the way it was reported on Snopes, (I was not aware they had a bogus story section), is what led me to believe it was true.

*Kind of like even fairly recently, when you see a computer screen in a movie or TV it is flickering very bad, but if you were standing in the room, it would not look like it is flickering like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks