What's new

Mr Bob now analyzer and HD gen. equipped (1 Viewer)

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
That's right. I took the plunge. Bought the Colorfacts system - whole meal deal/CF-6000, complete with spectroradiometer for ALL types of displays, not just CRT. Many of the current analyzers out there were state of the art when they were purchased, but now with the advent of fixed pixel displays like plasma and DLP, are heavily limited because of their ability to ONLY do CRTs. Expensive upgrades are now necessary on them to be able to do DLP, plasma, etc.

Personally, I am very glad I waited, and continued relying on my eyes and my optical comparator, even tho it cost me some business from those who would only hire analyzer-equipped calibrators. I now have the equipment that will do it all.

For true double-direction doublechecking of the grayscale, I will now have both the ISF Optical Comparator and the Milori analyzer at my command. The Colorfacts is a well-respected choice, among pro calibrators.

As many of you know, I have always been staunchly comparator only, and still believe in being that way. But to be able to compete out there, and take my place with others who have analyzing equipment, I am willing to expand my horizons. It just arrived today, and I can't wait to start playing with it!

First of the year I also equipmented-up with the fabulous Accupel HD signal generator. I like it, and it does make my job much easier and quicker. There wasn't too much that the actual HD image couldn't guide me to doing already, but with the Accupel I can now do what's left, also. Like re-alignment of the HD signal for eliminating red push in HD. Easy to do in 480i/p with the AVIA patterns, not so easy in HD.

The Accupel will make that a breeze.

I know there has been some buzz about certain calibrators using certain types of equipment while others use other kinds. Like the ongoing discussion of analyzers vs. comparators.

I hope this answers some questions and settles some speculation.

Thanks for listenin'!

Mr Bob

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure it'll pay off for both you and your customers. I will probably move to the 6000 myself, but I have to wait until the lease on my Sencore is up (3 years...what was I thinking?!). I'm not giving up the Sencore VP300 pattern generator without a fight though! Having all resolutions a mere push button away is heavenly!
...I have always been staunchly comparator only
Use the 6000 for a month and let's see if you don't change your tune!

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
The most telling question for me will be whether it takes me more time or less time, during a cal, to implement the analyzer vs. the optical comparator.

Chuck Williams swears by his CP300. I'm OK with using DVDs for my test patterns tho. Before Guy Kuo came up with AVIA, we really didn't have a good overscan and Circlehatch set of patterns, because VE's geometry patterns were the only game in town and they were - and still are - flawed. AVIA's are flawless.

In such a case, it's good that there were patterns for 480 on generator.

But with the generators I have used before, it was hard to get the lines to a fine enough level of non-blooming to be able to use them in a high precision way, for convergence. Typically the light level of generated patterns did not match the light level of program material, and would as such not allow a nice apples to apples convergence. The various light levels on the grid patterns on AVIA allow me to do that.

And there are certain patterns on AVIA that I don't think even the CP300 has. Greg Rogers at Accupel tells me that it is EXTREMELY difficult to generate circles, for ANY pattern generator. So much for circlehatch grids. Haven't seen any, on any pattern generator, ever. And the blinking blocks on the color isolation color bars patterns seem to be unique to the AVIA disc - have never seen them anywhere else either.

The Color decoder pattern also seems to be unique to AVIA, using stacked blocks to tell you exactly where your RGB color balance stacks up, at a given color level/tint setting.

That Guy Kuo really had his thinking cap on, when he was designing AVIA.

Can the CP300 do all that?

Mr Bob

Tom Sullivan

Agent
Hi Bob,
A friend from San Jose brought over his CF-6000 to tune my HT1000 projector. I'm using a Bravo D1 and after the calibration the results were beautiful. The tune up took 4hrs, every slight change of RGB-B/C in the lower and higher range of IRE kept moving things around a bit. It was tuff getting each level of IRE to be balanced at 6500k but we got it. Interesting program. enjoy

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Can the CP300 do all that?
Most of those 'special' patterns you mention it does not do. For geometry, I always re-set it completely using a geometry overlay template anyway, so that's not an issue for me. Otherwise, the VP300 has the 'core' patterns. Mind you, I always travel with AVIA anyway and can pop it into the owner's DVD player if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks