What's new

Movies you liked but everyone else hated (1 Viewer)

Gene S

Agent
There have been plenty of mine already mentioned, but one so far I haven't seen is Meet Joe Black. People say its too long because the characters are just looking at eachother and not speaking. I say there's alot to be said in the "unspoken word"!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Movies people do not like that I do (by virtue of either apathy to its existence or vehemence in criticism):

Annie: Pleasing old-style movie musical with production value and over-the-top performances, but an expensive, critically derided box-office disappointment

Bowfinger: Consistently entertaining farce about a cheapo filmmaker; more than worthy of a pairing between Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy

Drop Dead Gorgeous: Uneven, but a good concept and a number of memorable lines

How to Murder Your Wife: Well-made 60s "battle of sexes" comedy with good performances by Jack Lemmon and Terry-Thomas

S.O.B.: Mainly for Robert Preston's character and for showing Julie Andrews has a sense of humor about her image

Soapdish: Acidic comedy about daytime soaps; a number of very funny bits

Sword in the Stone: A weak plot, but has many delightful gags and an overall humorous tone

Top Secret: Even the DVD commentary is fairly critical of it, but still pretty funny

The Tune: Highly inventive Bill Plympton film

UHF: Listen to the commentary for examples of some of the really critical reviews

I'm ready for the HTF cultural commisars to send me to virtual Siberia. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Terminator 3 - about the only fun sequel from last summer especially after the tepid Matrix:Reloaded.

It took the franchise in a different direction. Great stunts, some funny one-liners, excellent new cast additions, and didn't take itself too seriously.

Herschel

Stunt Coordinator
I'd second all of these:

A.I.
High Fidelity
Big Lebowski
Vanilla Sky
Matrix sequels
Star Wars prequels

And some that I haven't seen mentioned that I thought were better than everyone else thought they were:

Free Enterprise
Tomb Raider
XX/XY
Anything Else

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Matrix Reloaded. Far better than the naff 'Revolutions', enjoyed every minute of it, doesn't really belong in this thread considering only 2 films were more popular last year, and I even enjoyed the infamous architect speech.:p)

"Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... you know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
Will Ferrell as The Architect.

:laugh:

Colton

Supporting Actor
The 2004 Dawn of the Dead is now my all-time favorite movie. The intro really drew me in with "The Man Comes Around" showing scenes of the zombie apocolypse breaking out around the world. The character development and story was so intense. The new & improved zombies were more terrifying than ever before. Excellent filmmaking!!!

- Colton

BarryS

Second Unit

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence is THE movie that I love and that everyone else I know hates. I thought it was a brilliant piece of Spielberg-meets-Kubrick sci-fi fantasy, but nearly everyone I talk to loathes it. Good to see that I'm not the only fan of A.I. in the world.

I could also mention Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses. I think this movie is hilarious and tons of demented fun, but I hear nearly unanimous groans whenever I mention it. To me, it's far superior to Hollywood horror crap like Final Destination and House on Haunted Hill (remake).

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
- Bad Boys
- Bad Boys 2
- Lost World: Jurassic Park, The
- Jurassic Park 3
- Captain Ron
- Conan the Destroyer
- Red Sonja
- Kull the Conqueror
- House on Haunted Hill (1999)
- Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, A
- Practical Magic
- Return of the Living Dead 3
- Underworld
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Matrix Reloaded, The
- Matrix Revolutions, The
- Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones

That's it!

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I like some movies that many folks have either never seen, or admit that they have seen. One of my all time favorites, though it is silly fun, is one I wish they would hurry up and get on DVD - Gumball Rally . Most of the people I have shown it to on VHS comment about how much they like the classic cars. It was more or less based on the real life Cannonball Run, and preceded that movie by about 2-3 years. The only person in Gumball Rally that had any kind of real career after wards was Raul Julia.

Other movies that make my guilty pleasure list:

Clash of the Titans
Serpent and the Rainbow
Willow
The Secret of My Success
Ed Wood
The Rocketeer
UHF
Conan the Destroyer
My Chauffeur
Pass the Ammo
Pearl Harbor
King Kong - 1976 version starring Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange
Poseidon Adventure
Earthquake
The Towering Inferno

Then there are movies that are begging for abuse due to poor casting choices, plot holes that you could drive a fleet of trucks through or other faults. For that, however, we have Mystery Science Theater 3000. Or had, since some ignorant peasant decided to pull the plug on that show.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
You're going to have to take Serpent and the Rainbow off that list. I loved that movie. It is the that rarest of creatures -- an original horror film.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
This is tough. The thread asks for movies I like but everyone else hated. To me, that means thing like the MATRIX sequels and STAR WARS prequels don't apply, because millions of people love or hate those movies. I guess to be honest to the original question, it would be movies that you like but you've only ever met a handful of people who also like it.

Using this criteria, the only movie I can really think of is THE FLY II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks