What's new

Movies with Bad Music Scores (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Such similarities can be said about every film composer who has a long resume of scored films.

Crawdaddy

DeeF

Screenwriter
Oh, I like most of Max Steiner fine.

And by the way, I think the score to Dr. Zhivago is perfectly respectable, as composition. But why so much repetition? It's like he ran out of ideas, so he just recycled them, over and over.

It isn't like theme and variations. It's just the same cues, played over and over. It's a level of banality that Andrew Lloyd Webber would appreciate.

:)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
In that case, I believe the producer is at fault. He loved Jarre's theme so much that he just kept using it in place of other underscore that Jarre wrote for those scenes.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Star Trek Generations!

Dennis McCarthy could't write his way out of a wet paper bag (IMO).......:) IMB, the score (or lack thereof) is what keeps it below Star Trek 5 (whose wonderful score by the late Jerry Goldsmith largely helps that film) in my book.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Surprised no one's mentioned this one yet, but "Ladyhawke" was the first thing that popped into my mind.

"The Road Warrior" is another bad one - too bombastic and shamelessly rips-off Holst's "The Planets".

Most of the non-Barry Bonds are pretty bad, especially the pseudo-disco scores for "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "For Your Eyes Only".

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
JonathonSan,

No need to duck, the score of this film was intended to be just that. The score is supposed to go with the whole consumerism "satire" theme of the movie. I was delighted when GAR used a small clip of the score from "Dawn" in "Day.":D

DeeF

Screenwriter
There are plenty of movies like Ladyhawke with bad scores, but I don't think these are worth... fixing.

I was going more for classic, good films with scores that could be replaced.

Here's another one I think deserves a change:

Witness

P.S. I'm not a John Barry fan, overall. The Bond scores are fine, but when he steps into orchestral territory, it just becomes unbearably slow. Here's another movie that (IMO) might be improved with different music:

Out of Africa

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
26 posts before the abominable Ladyhawke score is mentioned? If any movies BEGS for a rescore, it's this one.

Horner certainly does rip off his own stuff, but the score for STII:WoK is a classic. Simply a fantastic score that works incredibly well with the film.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'm also surprised it took this long to get a mention. A good film totally undermined by its music. A competent orchestral rescoring would work wonders for its posterity.

--Jefferson Morris

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
This film probably doesn't fit, but anyone ever hear the "score" for MESA OF LOST WOMEN? The movie stinks too -- but the music is the worst.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY and GOLDENEYE are three decent Bond films that were hurt by their mediocre scores. The Bill Conti score for EYES in particular is so bad that I can barely stand to watch the movie.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't like Mark Knopfler's score for The Princess Bride. The acoustic guitar bits are great, though. It's a pity that it couldn't have been entirely guitar or at least orchestral. The synthesized music is extremely cheesy.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wow! An exact remake of a thread we had here just a few weeks ago, same posters too prob, next someone will chime in with how awful the music to Never Say Never Again was and... oh that would be me.:)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I was part of that other thread, but now something's changed: somebody's actually replacing a score to a movie.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
I recently saw a dreadful movie with an even worse score - KRAKATOA-EAST OF JAVA. Even in 35mm IB this picture was a stinkeroo. But the music?!?! It was by Happy Kyne himself, Frank DeVol. Too many instances to site. Just take my word for it - WILDLY inappropriate.

PS - about a month after I saw the film at a private screening the STARZ action channel ran it. Problem is they showed it on the Monday after the Tsunami hit!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks