What's new

Movies With Adults Returning To School Theme (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
My wife is taking a course dealing with adult learning, and needs to view several films dealing with adults starting or returning to college at an age later than the standard 18-22 yrs.

The movie can be of any genre or age.

Hopefully, there are some with outstanding transfers and multiple explosions and gunfire... ;)

Thanks for any suggestions...

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Billy Madison and Never Been Kissed are both set in high school. The original post specified college. (Or am I being too literal?) :)

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Sounds silly, and it's animated, but "An Extremely Goofy Movie"... Goofy goes back to college, the same school his son goes to.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Another high school program is a TV show and upcoming film Strangers with Candy

MatS

Screenwriter
X-Men ;)
ok so it's not college either but it is school
and it does meet this standard "with outstanding transfers and multiple explosions and gunfire"

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
One of my favorites is HIGH TIME (1960) starring Bing Crosby as a well-off 50ish widower who decides to go to college.

Unfortunately, I don't see it available on DVD or VHS. But it is a fun romp.

Bond. Paul Bond.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Mr. Belvedere Goes to College is a fun movie. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available on VHS or DVD.

The Bob Crane Show was about a 40-something man returning to medical school if I remember correctly. Again not available for home viewing.

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything that you can actually watch :frowning:

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Presumed Innocent....Harrison Ford character's wife is trying to finish her college work.

and logging onto the college's computer system provides her alabi...

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I wish I could be more helpful than this, but perhaps someone here will recognize what I'm talking about. I can't remember the title.

I saw a movie a while back, it looked to be made in the 60's, about an adult 30 something going to college, because he had regretted not going when he was younger. He doesn't just attend classes, he actually moves into the dorm and takes part in the college lifestyle. The only real detail I can remember was that the climax involved the students stacking all sorts of furniture, chairs, etc. 50 ft. high or so. I believe they were trying to break some kind of record to win a prize. When told they're a few feet short, the 30 something man climbs to the top with a chair, and sits on it to great applause.

Anyone out there have a clue as to what I'm talking about? I think this would be perfect for your request as it depicts things a bit more seriously than the other films listed here, although it is still a lighthearted comedy.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, surprised no one mentioned it, but the most obvious one is...

Back to School.

Or (in a less silly vein) how about Educating Rita? Not really about going back to college, but still about adult continuing education.

EDIT - sorry Scott, I must have somehow missed your post.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Yes it is indeed High Time I was thinking of, It was easy to track down once I remembered who was in it. (I would have realized it had I read Mr. Bond's post, but I was distracted by his "Bond. Paul Bond." sig, and must have absent mindeldy moved on)

Anyways, I second this. If it isn't available on DVD or VHS, it seems to come on the Sundance channel often enough. Perhaps you could get lucky.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Here are a few more:

HORSEFEATHERS (Harpo and Chico return to college as football players and Zeppo is considerably older than his classmates)
NECESSARY ROUGHNESS (Pro-footballer Scott Bacula returns to college)
WEST POINT STORY (James Cagney becomes a cadet so that he can direct the college variety show-unfortunately not on DVD)
SHE'S WORKING HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE (Burlesque dancer Virginia Mayo goes back to college and falls in love with Prof. Ronald Reagan-unfortunately not on DVD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks