What's new

Movies to test my new home theater (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_K

Agent
I did a search and didn't see anything so here is goes:

I just got done assembling my new home theater and I'm looking for advise on movies that will really "test" it. In other words, movies with good surround effects, deep base (for the subwoofer) etc. All opinions are welcome!
Thanks.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
If you look in the HT Software section, there are super long threads that discuss this. My selection of choice when I've been getting a new piece is the Matrix and LOTR Pt 1. Here's one of the threads though.. List Your Favorite Demo Selection If you do a search in the software section you can find a few other threads that are just about this.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Damn Ted, you found the same link faster then me :b I guess I need to find a better, more efficient way of cataloging my Favorites.

Jeffrey_K

Agent
I don't know why that didn't come up with my search. I tried "test" and "test my home theater". I guess "demo" would have been better. Thanks for the responses all.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jeffrey

Out of curiousty, have you calibrated your system with a SPL Meter and a calibration disc like Avia, VE, or S&V???

Very important, if by chance you have not done it yet. Worth every penny and you will find plenty of uses for them after you calibrate.

Enjoy your new toys
Geoff

Jeffrey_K

Agent
Geoff:

No I haven't. I've seen it recommended, but am afraid I don't know enough about it to be able to glean any meaningful info from it. I've pretty much stood in the middle of the room the HT is in and used the receiver settings for each speaker until it sounded good.
Are these things easy to use for the novice?

"It's Lower-Orbital Propulsion Engineering, it's not Rocket Science"

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
It is very easy to do.

The Analog Spl Meter is available at Radio Shack for about 35.00.

The Avia calibration disc is very easy to use. It explains everything very well so even the newest of new to HT can uderstand what they are doing.

This will allow your system to produce it's best result by being calibrated properly. It is an absolute must have. There are 2 other calibration disc out their also. They do the same thing as Avia.
Video Essentials and Sound & Vision.

I recommend Avia because it dose such a good job of explaining what your doing, how to do it, and why your doing it. The other discs work just as well but are not quite as layed out for the newest newbie. You should still be able to understand these cali discs just fine also.

If and when you get these, (SPL Meter & Calibration disc) if you have things you don't quite understand, we are here to answer your questions. You might want to read the primer in the basic section. It's right at the top.....

Hope this helps
Geoff

Clark F

Agent
You didn't mention whether you have an RPTV, but if you do, I hope you read the burn-in thread and have set picture and brightness down some.

Jeffrey_K

Agent
Thanks, Geoff, I appreciate it. I will look into getting one of these. I mean, $32.00 isn't much to spend to get the most out of a system I sank quite a bit in, right?

"It's Lower-Orbital Propulsion Engineering, it's not Rocket Science"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks