What's new

Movies That You're Glad Won Best Picture (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Regarding Sunrise and Wings, and which one won Best Picture, the truth is neither of them did.
In 1928, the first year the Academy gave out awards, they awarded two films. Sunrise was given an award for "Most Artistic Quality of Production" and Wings was given "Most Outstanding Production." Of course, Wings is the one history remembers as the first Best Picture winner, but technically, it's not true. Realistically, although one could argue this either way, the "Most Artistic Quality of Production" is more in line with what the Academy Award for Best Picture has become (or at least, that's what the Academy would like us to believe).
(BTW, I can't believe all the people who were glad that Dances With Wolves beat out Goodfellas)

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I always seem to be rooting for a film that loses...:frowning: So I was real happy to see American Beauty win.

rhett

Supporting Actor
(BTW, I can't believe all the people who were glad that Dances With Wolves beat out Goodfellas)
I know, I realised that after I posted my message. But you know, Scorsese has to have the worst luck ever. On any other year GoodFellas, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull would have easily taken best picture. Dances With Wolves, Rocky and Ordinary People are all really good films though, so I am indifferent to the Best Picture winners of those years. Scorsese will win eventually, if not for a film he will get a special award no doubt, his body of work is just too good to continually go unnoticed by the Academy!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Annie Hall

American Beauty

Schindler's List

The Godfather

The Godfather II

Platoon

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Deer Hunter

Patton

Lawrence of Arabia

A few I personally thought should have been winners:

Raging Bull

Apocalypse Now

Goodfellas

Taxi Driver

Traffic

Pulp Fiction

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Dude, Where's My Car?

Good to see the academy has some taste after all.

Seriously, I'll second the "Silence of the Lambs" movie...the only Oscar-winning movie where I actually knew a movie crew member. (My brother-in law painted Hannibal Lecter's cell).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
BTW, I can't believe all the people who were glad that Dances With Wolves beat out Goodfellas
As much as I liked GoodFellas, I do think Dances With Wolves is a marginally greater acheivement in film.
As much as I liked Ordinary People, I think Raging Bull was a slightly better picture in 1980. That being said, my choice that year for Best Picture would be The Stunt Man. However, all 3 are so good, I wouldn't have minded had any of them won.
In answering this poll, I listed only films that I definitely thought were the best in the year they won (off the top of my head). That doesn't mean that I don't think some of the other winners weren't terrific as well.
:)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For me, it would have to be Chariots of Fire. I first viewed this film in the fall of '81 and immediately it skyrocketed to the top of ( my much shorter then ) list of all time favorite films. It is a film that I can watch innumerable times without tiring of it. ( Still waiting on Warner Bros. to release the damn S.E. )
It went up against Atlantic City, On Golden Pond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Reds. I remember viewing the Academy Awards that year in the spring of '82 and thinking that it had a snowball's chance in Hell of winning. But it managed to snag a few awards earlier in the evening ( Costume, and Best Score. ) When it won Best Original Screenplay I thought it might have an outside chance. Well, it did win and I was almost as happy as those involved with the production of the film. Probably my favorite Oscar moment ever.
- Walter.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It's been a long time since my favorite film of the year won the Oscar. And that was TERMS OF ENDEARMENT in a very weak year (1983).

The last time I actually got excited over an Oscar win was when Anna Paquin won Best Supporting actress for THE PIANO, I thought that Winona Ryder was going to win.

For the last 3 years I have not even bothered watching the Oscars. Maybe I have become jaded over the process, But I really don't care who wins what anymore. I'm not mad ranting anti-oscar or anything like that, I just don't think the Oscars really mean anything of importance.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
In 1973 I was invited by a girl I was seeing to watch the Oscar Show with her friends. She was interested in the school theater and liked set design. Her friends were all the kids who were the actors. I had read Puzo's The Godfather and really loved the movie. I was ill at ease though as Cabaret was hanging tough all night and stole Oscars in Supporting Actor with Joel Grey over Al Pacino and Robert Duvall??, and by Bob Fosse over Francis Ford Coppola??? I was sweating bullets when the best picture came up. All the kids were crossing their fingers and hugging each other and rooting hard for Cabaret
As the winner was announced, the room breathed a dejected sigh. It was all I could do to keep from leaping up from my chair and sreaming FUCKIN A!!!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My favorite picture of all time won best picture - The Apartment.

However, that was before I was born, and ever since Star Wars got snubbed in 1977 I haven't really given a damn about the oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks