What's new

Movies that promised a sequel but didn't deliver (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter

This one pisses me off too. Of course, five years ago I thought we'd never even get chapters 1-3 so I guess it's better than nothing.:)

Of course, the knowledge of 7-9 was obtained through outside sources. There was no mention of them within the movies themselves. Not even a "To Be Continued" at the end of ROTJ.

A sequel to Underworld is in the works but I don't think they promised one in the first movie.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

That ending is perfect, it doesn't need to be resolved.

The live action Masters Of The Universe left the door open for a sequel. Also Jason And The Argonauts.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Five years ago? Five years ago was 1999, we were only five months away from the release of TPM? Did you really not think we would get Episode 1-3?

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Making the Grade with Judd Nelson.

The end credits said watch for "Tourista"

Greg

Nick_Scott

Second Unit

Or at the end of ANH... since GL didn't think it would be popular enough to warrant a sequel.

I do remember GL saying that he did development material for a possible 7-9 on one of the THX VHS tapes... so who knows.

nick

Barquero

Auditioning
What in the hell has happened to Hollywood? It now seems that every movie that garners a considerable gross these days, is a prime candidate for a sequel or franchise. And what really gets me is it's almost always the bad infuence trash that pop-culture thrives on. I just can't wait for 2012... when XXX 8 comes out right after 4 Fast, 4 Furious. Can't you?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Okay, that's it.

Raise your hand if you've seen Sword and the Sorceror.

Okay

Now raise your hand if you thought the sword was cool. :D

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I like the fact that we'll see sequels, as long as they're done well. It's kind of cool to revisit that world and see what's going on. Now if they mess it all up, then it just sucks, (Lost World, Jurassic Park 3, gimmie a break...)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Yes, this is a real tragedy! I'm serious! Some will disagree, but the first one was great! Sure a little campy, but such promise for a good sequel.

So what do they do? They get a direct to video sequel? None of the original cast make it back. OMG! So bad.

What the hell were they thinkin?

Oh and I liked Sword and the Sorcerer and I too have been waiting for that sequel!:)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
At least Starship Troopers 2 is being written by the same person. It's also being directed by FX wiz Phil Tippett.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

As for me, I don't mind the sequels. If I really enjoy a movie then I don't want it to end.

In opposition to the topic of the thread are movie sequels that are made even though the original movie made it (almost) impossible to have one. My prime example is Highlander. Um, hello? Doesn't "there can be only one" mean that there can be only one? Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod killed the last of the immortals and gained all those extra special powers at the end of the movie. Then the greedy studio made Highlander 2 by introducing more "immortals" from another dimension. WTF? As far as I'm concerned H2 & H3 never happened. Never, never, never.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
The great and under-appreciated "Deep Rising" had an ending that was begging for a sequel:

After escaping from the exploding passenger ship at the end of the movie, the 3 survivors wash up on the beach of an uncharted island. At first they think they're safe. But then they hear a large roar and we see a faraway shot of the island and a bunch of trees being knocked down by large, unseen creatures.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Unbreakable

What does David do from here? Does he continue being a superhero? What about Mr Glass?

Then there was the rumored Breakable for part 2 and Broken for part 3.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I guess I should have known better than to just throw out some number without someone immediately checking IMDB to verify the accuracy. Geez, as if I really remembered how I was feeling five years ago. I can't even remember what I wore the day before.;)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I had read an article in the early 90's with John Hughes and he said he had written scipts/stories regarding The Breakfast Club characters. The second movie was to take place 10 years after the original movie and then 3rd movie to take place another 10 years after that. I don't remember any details of the stories themselves.

I remember waiting for a release in 94, 95 but never heard anything regarding any sequels.

Paul

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

*sticking my hand in the air*

Like others..."Sword & The Sorcerer" popped into my mind within moments of reading the thread title. :)

I love that cheesy ol' flick. I mean, Lee Horsley & Simon MacCorkindale as heros, and Richard Lynch and Richard Moll as the bad guys? :D What's not to love? (I know...it's a bad flick...but it's really a guilty pleasure for me!) :)

Side note: Met Lee Horsley in the late 80s. Nice guy. We talked briefly about "Matt Houston", and then I admitted to him that I loved Sword & The Sorcerer. His face fell a bit, and he told me that while he enjoyed that film, a stunt-man who was a buddy of his died during the filming...and it wasn't a fond memory. (IMDB comfirms that stuntman Jack Tyree died when he missed the airbags on a high jump. Gah!) I apologized for bringing it up, and Mr Horsley smiled and said not to worry about it. He still enjoyed being "Talon". Like I said, he was a very nice fellow.

Back on-topic... same as others... the never-to-appear sequel(s) for "Remo Williams" disappointed me. And, of course, episodes 7-9 of Star Wars.

I'd love to see follow-ups to "Unbreakable" as well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks