What's new

Movies that Deserve Blu-ray Treatment (1 Viewer)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Re: Movies that Deserve Blu-ray Treatment...

Everything but Alien Space Avenger (1989).

bit of a joke there

-R

JDR22

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
Koyaanisqatsi

The Talented Mr. Ripley

The English Patient

Vanilla Sky

The Abyss

True Lies

Jaws

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Star Wars Trilogy

lennylu

Auditioning
Real Name
Leonard Huang
I would love to own these on Blu-Ray:

EVITA, Criterion Collection with new special features, docs, commentaries, music videos, top-notch audio and picture quality from newly remastered 4K transfer etc etc. Same for DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN

LOLITA & BARRY LYNDON (please hurry these...)

INDIANA JONES movies

STAR WARS

TALENTED MR. RIPLEY

FRIDA

PANIC ROOM (to finish off the Fincher collection on Blu)

nudaydawning

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by kemcha

What I'm talking about is the "Special Edition" version that was released on DVD. It just seems crappy that 20th Century Fox decided to release the 'Theatrical Edition" of the movie instead of the "Special Edition" which includes several minutes of footage that were added back into the movie itself.

While I do share everyone's resentment of this movie, I do enjoy watching the movie, from time to time.

Wow, are you serious? "I think this movie is utter crap but I like watching it." I mean, that's basically what you're saying. Geez, is the film snobbery that thick on these boards?

If you tried to defend liking the movie by saying, "It's good for a summer blockbuster, but no Oscar contender.", would you be attacked for giving the movie any credit in the first place.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by nudaydawning

What I'm talking about is the "Special Edition" version that was released on DVD. It just seems crappy that 20th Century Fox decided to release the 'Theatrical Edition" of the movie instead of the "Special Edition" which includes several minutes of footage that were added back into the movie itself.

While I do share everyone's resentment of this movie, I do enjoy watching the movie, from time to time.

Wow, are you serious? "I think this movie is utter crap but I like watching it." I mean, that's basically what you're saying. Geez, is the film snobbery that thick on these boards?

If you tried to defend liking the movie by saying, "It's good for a summer blockbuster, but no Oscar contender.", would you be attacked for giving the movie any credit in the first place.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty angry for a first post. (Welcome, by the way) Some people would say that Kemcha's attitude is the opposite of snobbery. Instead of turning his nose up at a film he has issues with, he's willing to watch it "from time to time".

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
It's difficult for me to watch Michael Mann's Thief on my HDTV (hell, it's hard to watch it on my SD TV and DVD player in the bedroom). I believe the MGM recycled a muddy, shoddy Laserdisc transfer for the DVD, so it totally deserves the blu-ray treatment!

Watching Criterion's fantastic BBS Story blu-ray boxed set makes me pine for other late 60s/70s fare on blu-ray, despite the fact that Paramount is allergic to catalogue releases, True Grit notwithstanding. I'd love Don't Look Now or Once Upon a Time in the West on blu-ray!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Xylon

Every movie deserves "Blu-ray treatment".

Yeah. If you rephrase it another way, you can see how absurd the question sounds to some of us-

which films deserve a low fidelity audio/video presentation?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I've never understood this mindset. Anything sourced from film can be improved by the higher video resolution of Blu-Ray. If you don't think so, check out the A&E Blu-Ray release of Pride & Prejudice, which is stunning. The Burns stuff needs to be remastered anyway. The DVD set of The Civil War is very bad, with judder and other movement in the images, not to mention visible dirt and sound distortions owing to poor mastering. It is actually painful to watch.
I have written to PBS asking if there are any plans to revisit the Burns films and others of their documentaries. I certainly hope so, because from what I've seen 16mm can yield astonishing results when properly transferred to Blu-Ray.
Regards,

Joe
Pride & Prejudice was photographed in Super16 which has quite a bit more image area, and there for more resolving power.

Burn's documentaries mostly shot in standard 16mm which in reality has maybe slightly more resolving power than NTSC. I'm not saying that the image would not improve on blu-ray, but the improvement would very small. Just doing a new transfer of The Civil War might provide a huge improvement in the quality of that particular film.

Doug
[/QUOTE]

This is being debated in another thread, but I remembered this: no matter what it was shot in, Burns documentary is BUILT for Blueray. I think people forget the old days of laserdiscs and CAV... but how Burns filmed it doesn't matter as much for the huge amount of scanned reference material he has presented repeatedly on the web, at museums.. if someone undertook this project correctly, the ability to have branching menus with scans of the documents, full text material, etc..

This to me is what the extra space of Blueray could be built for.. just like I imagine a Bluray of his "Baseball" series that would allow "pop ups" showing player stats, references to books written by those interviewed, etc...

The ability to take these deep documentaries and convert them into bluray could result in stunning material that would be fantastic sellers, if not just for the home buyer, definitely for schools and educational organizations. A complete reference of his materials with the documentaries? Sign me up.

Almost Famous would be on my list as well.. wasn't this released on Bluray in another region?

Wim Wender's "Until the End of the World" Epic edition - as presented internationally (5hr) is a fantastic work, and I'd leap at it.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by mattCR

Almost Famous would be on my list as well.. wasn't this released on Bluray in another region?

Wim Wender's "Until the End of the World" Epic edition - as presented internationally (5hr) is a fantastic work, and I'd leap at it.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Matt,

Almost Famous gets a domestic US release via Best Buy exclusive on January 30. Mask of the Phantasm would be great though!

DonERoode

Auditioning
Real Name
Don E. Roode
1980s

--------

Tron

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

The Wraith

1990s

--------

Dick Tracy

The Rocketeer

Class of 1999

2000s

--------

Boiler Room

Equilibrium

Running Scared (2006)

Next Friday

Friday After Next

OscarSegui

Auditioning
Real Name
I love Disney films. While Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs received the Blu Ray treatment, here are a list of Disney classic films that I think deserve Blu Ray treatment:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Swiss Family Robinson
Mary Poppins
Pete's Dragon
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Aladdin
Old Yeller
The Parent Trap
The Black Hole
The Love Bug

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by OscarSegui

I love Disney films. While Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs received the Blu Ray treatment, here are a list of Disney classic films that I think deserve Blu Ray treatment:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Swiss Family Robinson
Mary Poppins
Pete's Dragon
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Aladdin
Old Yeller
The Parent Trap
The Black Hole
The Love Bug

That's a good list. Beauty and the Beast is already out and Lion King is coming this year, but I imagine all or most of these will come eventually. I'd also like to see from Disney (but I'm not holding my breath):

Song of the South (yeah, I checked the temperature in Hell today, and it's still nice and hot)

So Dear to My Heart

Treasure Island

The Shaggy Dog

Pollyanna

The Absent-Minded Professor

Son of Flubber

The Three Lives of Thomasina

The Happiest Millionaire

The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band

The Apple Dumpling Gang

Escape to Witch Mountain

Freaky Friday (1976)

Midnight Madness (a guilty pleasure and a huge long shot, the DVD was from a source that was apparently good enough for Canadian cable TV in the 1990s and even had a TV logo!)

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Never Cry Wolf

Return to Oz

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

The Muppet Christmas Carol (uncut AND OAR, not either/or like the DVDs)

I also would love to see the three Jim Henson-era Muppet movies, of which Disney owns 2.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MatthewA , recently said that they were going to do something about releasing it, and that they want to do it the right away. Yeah, I know that one would rather believe it when they see it, but it seems that this time, they wanna do it, especially considering that Michael Eisner, the man who held the most grudge against releasing it (stop me if I'm wrong on this one) is gone.

I wish I had a laserdisc player (I don't), so that I can purchase the Japanese laserdisc. Unremovable Japanese subtitles aside, it seems to be the definitive home video version. It also plays the movie in its proper speed, and I heard that you can't stand PAL speed-up. Neither can I.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Clarke

Crazy isn't it - I don't know what's up with Lucasfilm these days. Why so slow in releasing catalogue titles which they KNOW will see extremely well? I'd buy these in a heartbeat even if it was just a straight HD transfer of the original 3 films with no extras! Just seems daft that Crystal Skull is available (it's like releasing Revenge of the Sith and then leaving the other two!!!), and the other 3 aren't! People are already selling bootlegs on Ebay which - I imagine - must be sourced from HD recordings from broadcast (?) so it would clamp down on all those as well.

Come on Lucasfilm!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks