What's new

Movies that Deserve Blu-ray Treatment (1 Viewer)

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
I want to SECOND your list of films that should be (should have already been) done in Blu-ray.

When I worked as a projectionist, I ran nearly half those films in 70mm. However, some of those films were re-released in the 1980's (I believe) and those prints already sisn't look so good. I've been waiting for "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" since Blu-ray came out. I would even settle for a Blu-ray of what they ran on the MGM-HD channel. Although I didn't see it myself, everyone who has says it's excellent. Because I'm dying from end stage emphysema, if it doesn't come out soon, I guess I never will see it in Blu-ray. Because I use a projector, the SD DVD's just don't cut it.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Originally Posted by Greg_M

[COLOR= #ff0000][SIZE= larger]70MM [/COLOR][/SIZE]
If it was filmed in 70MM it should be on Blu-ray
Yet many grainy films from the 70 - 80s are available - great films like "MASH" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" good films "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" "Kramer vs Kramer" but those films weren't demonstration quailty visually in theaters as were 70MM films (which may not have been great (like "Cleopatra" "Mutiny on the Bounty" "Star" and "Hello, Dolly") but still not on Blu-ray

But if you ever saw a 70MM print of "Cleopatra" "Star" or "Hello Dolly" your jaw would drop - these films were made for 70MM and even viewing them in 35mm leaves a lot to be desired.
The production values far out weighted the acting, story, pacing etc.

These 70 MM prints looked incredible in the theater:

[COLOR= #3366ff]South Pacific (Already on Blu-Ray)[/COLOR]
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia (My 1st 70MM film)
[COLOR= #3366ff]How the West Was Won (Already on Blu-Ray)[/COLOR]
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
Those Maginificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Doctor Dolittle
Star!
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[COLOR= #3366ff]Patton (Already on Blu-Ray)[/COLOR]
Ryan's Daugther

Doctor Zhivago (35mm) is coming on May 4
Spartacus (coming May 25)

by the way: "Star Wars" was a blow up from 35MM and not shot in 70MM

I want to SECOND your list of films that should be (should have already been) done in Blu-ray.

When I worked as a projectionist, I ran nearly half those films in 70mm. However, some of those films were re-released in the 1980's (I believe) and those prints already sisn't look so good. I've been waiting for "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" since Blu-ray came out. I would even settle for a Blu-ray of what they ran on the MGM-HD channel. Although I didn't see it myself, everyone who has says it's excellent. Because I'm dying from end stage emphysema, if it doesn't come out soon, I guess I never will see it in Blu-ray. Because I use a projector, the SD DVD's just don't cut it.

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
F.W. Murnau's FAUST (1926)

Fritz Lang's DIE NIBELUNGEN (1924)

Carl Dreyer's LA PASSION DE JEANNE D'ARC (1928)

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I agree, especially about Barry Lyndon. (An acceptable BR of Spartacus would be great as well.

I also want Mad Max, After Hours, and too many Woody Allen films to mention in one post.

Originally Posted by dana martin
and WB's and MGM's Kubricks that have not been released

Barry Lyndon
Lolita

Paths of Glory
The Killing
Killers Kiss

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

*SNIP*

Kundun is available in Germany from Studio Canal. When they talk about DNR, this is probably the perfect example of what can go horrendously wrong; check out the fourth screenshot (click it for full size) in particular [url=http://www.dvduell.de/artikel/blu-ray-screenshots-kundun-1997-martin-scorsese/]here. Ouch.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I want to second (or third, or whatever number we're at now....) recommendations for Brazil, and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE licence it back to Criterion, Universal! Yes, I'm talking to you! The DVD set is one of the prize jewels of my DVD collection, and anything less than a Criterion upgrade would be wanting.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
There's are several David Carradine films I'd like to see on Blu-ray: Bound for Glory, The Long Riders, Q. I wouldn't mind seeing the series Kung Fu on Blu-ray either -- especially with the first season corrected to the proper aspect ratio rather than that horrible cropped fake "widescreen."

Actually there are several movies of Carradine that haven't even made it to DVD let alone Blu-ray, like Safari 3000, Cloud Dancer and Fast Charlie...The Moonbeam Rider. All enjoyable titles if not exactly masterpieces for the ages.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Now that Criterion has released Bottle Rocket and will be releasing The Darjeeling Limited this Fall, I really want the rest of Wes Anderson's films: Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. These films would look gorgeous in HD! My other favourite contemporary Anderson, P. T., should have his Sydney (Hard Eight) and Punch-Drunk Love released on blu-ray.

More films by Francois Truffaut and Alfred Hitchcock on BD would be welcome and though it's been mentioned here already, I really want a Jaws BD set, replete with The Shark is Still Working documentary.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI coming this year! That is what Digital Bit's is saying and it up on Amazon for pre-sale, but the date is not set,

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd like to see the following:

Hugh Grant - Lair of the White Worm, Sirens and The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain

Sean Connery - Man Who Would Be King, Wind and the Lion, Outland, Zardoz

Stealing Beauty, The Swimmer, Brazil, Fahrenheit 451....

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
Those Maginificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Doctor Dolittle
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Ryan's Daugther

In addition to the pictures above, which have already been mentioned, I'd like to add some that haven't been listed yet;

Funny Girl (roadshow version)

Carousel (Cinemascope 55)

The King and I

Oklahoma

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Fanny and Alexander

Barry Lyndon

Tess

Brideshead Revisited (Jeremy Irons). I'd love it to look as good as Pride and Prejudice.

(oh well, a gal can dream, can't she?)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"You must think in Russian... think in Russian."

Yes I would happily buy a remastered Firefox on blu-ray.

Some great choices in this thread, anyone mention Outland yet? That's my pick.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Reply / comment on Douglas Monce's list: The Satan Bug hasn't even been released as an archive disc on DVD; hopes of seeing it – one of my all-time favourites when I was 15 – are sloooowwwly fading. Excellent flick; great editing; marvellous pacing overall. And Admiral Nelson as an echt-Nazi villain. What more could you ask for? I once heard that the rights for the film were confused, but it came out on VHS, so I don't see what the problem is for DVD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Well, t wouldn't be an Archive disc, because it was a UA release, and MGM is just starting to ramp up on its burn-on-demand programme. It's probably a few years off @ best.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Well, t wouldn't be an Archive disc, because it was a UA release, and MGM is just starting to ramp up on its burn-on-demand programme. It's probably a few years off @ best.
The Satan Bug has been announced as an MGM MOD to be released December 23. I have it pre-ordered from Movies Unlimited. Hoping it will be anamorphic.
Edit-The released date has changed to the first week in February.

3DMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Phillips
I would like to see:

Star wars (1-6)

With honors

Cadence

& American flyers

in Blu-ray.

bobcam1

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Cammer
Patiently waiting for two of my favorites to be released on Blu-Ray

"The Time Machine" (the George Pal original version) and "The Great Escape"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks