What's new

Movies that are too weird for their own good. (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
:confused: In what way? Star Wars is one of my favorite films of all time, and I hated Rushmore. How the hell are these two films anything alike?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Being John Malkovich.

A good idea bloated up and stretched out to the point where it just becomes weird for no reason than to be weird.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Being John Malkovich
I'd forgotten all about that film. A great idea, but it really got too weird for its own good.

It's strange. I can accept that there's an engineer somewhere that builds a buidling with half a floor (heck there's a neat story for it). I can accept that there's a magical doorway to Malkovich's mind.

But seriously, why puppetry? That's got to be one of the weirdest plot devices I've ever seen.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I like weird. What we're really terming "weird" is just a trip into someone else's imagination and that is the kind of "popcorn/let go and enjoy the ride" kind of movie that appeals to me.

The strangeness of Tetsuo is what makes it so good. It's literally like nothing else I've ever seen.

I keep hearing those comments made about Malkovich and I think you guys are thinking too hard about it. Why puppetry? Because ITS FUNNY. There's hardly a minute that goes by that I'm not laughing about something onscreen.

Then again, I can't say I've never thought a movie was too weird either:

Fando & Lis - Jodorowsky
Faust - Jan Svankmajer
Anything by The Brothers Quay

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Barton Fink = too "weird"

I love most of the Coen Brother films, but this one was too far "out there" for me.

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the frogs in Magnolia yet.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Fear and loathing weird???
I thought it was a documentery.
There are 2 types of weird, One is weird because people want it to be weird, the other is so far off center that most people could not imagine it. Lynch is the only person that makes me wonder.
Incoherent is one thing, weird is another

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I like weird. :crazy:

Other weird flicks not yet mentioned:

Tuvalu
The Reflecting Skin
The Saragossa Manuscript
Otesanek
(by Jan Swankmajer, whom Brook mentioned earlier)

I wouldn't consider any of these too weird, though. :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The Keep

I think the over-editing of the director's intention left it one, wierd movie.

Jacob's Ladder was wierd too.. The premise was cool, but the delivery was too "out there".

I've always thought Excalibur was wierd. It's been years since I've seen the movie.. but I remember watching it and thinking "this thing could really use some comic relief. Everyone is so damn dramatic".

I liked Bottle Rocket (from the original post)... I wouldn't qualify it as "wierd"... more like "quirky".

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I wouldn't consider Santa Sangre too weird (I love it), but the many people I've foisted it on (think Kissinger) do. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks