What's new

Movies NOT available in theatrical version on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member

I think the only one that isn't is Evil Dead, which had a shot of a tree being struck by lighting taken out (only a couple seconds) because the effects were really bad and it wasn't important, anyway.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
On REALITY BITES due to a copyright problem. Lelaina Pierce (Winona Ryder) watching TV after being fired from her job, there was a brief clip of a Kevin Pollack's HBO special shown on TV. Universal did not have the rights to use this so another comic was substituted for the video releases.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

I thought they fixed some matte shots on the original Evil Dead, although I could be thinking of ED2.

--Ian

Eric Eash

Second Unit
not sure if you can include regions, but one of my favorites, Scream, theatrical edition i believe is only available in japan on dvd. i can't remember all the differences, and i know it is called a directors cut, but the first few showings in the theaters were different than the rest.

eric

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Also add:

Pete's Dragon (Chaffey, 1977):
Originally released at 134 minutes, but cut to 121 minutes after LA premiere. R1 DVD is 128 minutes.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
Apocalypse Now is NOT out of print. Both versions of the film are still available on DVD.

What's the source for the Star Wars DVD alterations? Or is that list just based on the differences between the original theatrical releases and the 1997 SEs?

Because they're still working on the trilogy release, and there may or may not be new changes when it's released.

Natural Born Killers is only available in the longer cut.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I bought The Devil's Advocate version a while ago and I was just curious what is the main issue with the unaltered version? like how do you know if you have the unlaltered version of the film and what exactly are you missing if you have the altered version?

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Actually, that wasn't replaced at all. Go check the disc where the original "E.T." is included and the terrorist line is there without ANY alterations.

Mike Deatz

Auditioning
Barbra Streisand doesn't say "kindly f... off" to a bunch of teenage boys in DVD version of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I just want to say thanks for the inputs everyone. I'm updating the list as I have time, but it may take a little while between updates...
The initial post has been edited to reflect some previously asked questions... I hope this will be a growing list and avaluable source for DVD edits...
The source for the star wars edits is just the current SE versions. I don't know if anything else will be changed.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
The following titles have altered score/song soundtracks for DVD:

Last American Virgin
Valley Girl
Nighthawks
Blue Collar
Wayne's World
The Electric Horseman
Divine Madness!
Somewhere in Time
Medium Cool

There is a new version of Nighthawks on the way, which will, perhaps, restore the original theatrical soundtrack to DVD. Universal has been pretty good about this lately.

-Jon

Nathan_Wade

Auditioning
Make Mine Music
censorship - In "All The Cats Jump" the scene where the teenager jumps in and out of the shower and get dress, her breasts were digitally altered to show no breasts.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
jon do you know specifically what was altered in Somewhere in Time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks