What's new

Movies NOT available in theatrical version on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator
LETHAL WEAPON 1, 2, and 3 are only available in slightly different director's cuts.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Can't really count these since they were released on DVD and can easily be found for very little money.

I don't think you can count The Big Blue either. We could write pages and pages about foreign films that were cut for their U.S. release. I think we should go by the theatrical release of the country of origin.

Jeff

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Yeah, we shouldn't limit to Region 1. For example, Manhunter is altered here but available in Japan in its complete theatrical version. Mohicans shouldn't count since the theatrical cut is available on DVD.

Jeff

Jeff

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Not sure if it really counts as a movie, but:

Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii - Directors cut with GCI cut scenes added. Original version is not on the disk.

Are any of the Evil Dead movies shown exactly as they were in the theaters?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Well technically it's not the "complete theatrical version". The Japan R2 DVD has the opening credits over a blue background instead the original black. :)

This does bring up a valid question though. How nitpicky are we being with this list? Are CG edits used to fix flubs enough to warrant inclusion? If so, we'd have to add Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Fugitive SE, and Fellowship of the Ring(2-disc set) to the list. And The Exorcist: 25th Anniversary Edition also has a quick CG morph effect added near the end of the film.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Wonder Boys - censorship cut to remove Alan Ladd's name from a list of suicides, following complaint from Ladd's estate.

Jeepers Creepers 2 - alteration - Director mentions on the commentary track that the night skies have been enhanced for the home video release.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
American Graffiti (Lucas, 1973)
Alteration: CGI sunset at the beginning of the film (original version of film remains unreleased on DVD)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, being the nit-picky person I am, I think these should mention whether the altered versions were done specifically for the video release, or if they were first re-issued theatrically with the changes. For example Superman had a small theatrical release with the revisions, so to me technically that still counts as a theatrical version. Also "The Program" had replacement reels sent to theaters with the 'traffic' scene removed. Changes made just for the video release are what I have a real problem with.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
What about titles that have been re-mixed and/or re-recorded for DVD? If you count all of the films that lack their original, theatrical soundtrack on DVD, you could add dozens of titles to the list.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
The "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" DVD is missing some footage that was in the theatrical cut and in previous video versions.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Blood Simple - DVD is cut from original theatrical release

2001 - cut

The Shining - ending cut

Life Is Beautiful - cut from original Italian theatrical release

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
SPARTACUS is a restored version. However, I understand it is not 100% identical to the original theatrical version. Some dialogue was re-recorded and I think some footage is still missing.

TOUCH OF EVIL has been re-cut according to Welles' instructions. One earlier cut (was it the original theatrical cut?) came out on laserdisc but not on DVD.

HARD DAY'S NIGHT has never been on DVD with its original soundtrack. The OOP MPI version used the stereo track from 1982 and the new Miramax disc contains a 5.1 abomination.

Likewise, the OOP HELP has the 82 stereo track.

YELLOW SUBMARINE has one new song (Hey Bulldog), some re-edited animation elsewhere, and a 5.1 mix. (Did they include the original soundtrack on this disc? My memory fails me and I'm not at home to check.)

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator

Apologies for going a touch off topic, but there's a Hong Kong R3 release of the theatrical cut in NTSC (official Warners release, nice anamorphic transfer and DD 5.1, oh and an isolated score to boot).

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure that's how it was in threaters in Europe and I'm all so pretty sure it has a mono track as well as the 5.1

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

This is the first I've heard of it. It sounds like it has the same features as the R2 and R4 releases. Any idea where it's available?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

In that case...

Come October 5, we can definitely add Disney's Aladdin to the list. (It's supposed to have re-worked animation a la The Lion King.

JKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks