What's new

Movie soundtracks (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
If he doesn't have ALIENS: The Deluxe Edition, at the least if he picks up the new ALIEN Anthology he'll get to hear both the complete score as written, plus the butchered theatrical score isolated.

Since Horner is my all-time favorite composer, I've got and/or heard virtually everything he's ever done.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Neil, yes I have the Aliens Deluxe Edition. Also I have How The West Was Won and Legend. Forgot to mention those. I also have Dr. Who soundtracks, the new series (I know it's tv and not movies but I thought I'd mention it).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Excellent.

Do you have the Tangerine Dream or the Jerry Goldsmith Legend?

And the Dr. Who soundtracks are easily some of the best TV scores (Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica is the very best IMHO), I have the scores for three of the recent series and I love how the main theme keeps evolving.

Originally Posted by Bob_S.
Neil, yes I have the Aliens Deluxe Edition. Also I have How The West Was Won and Legend. Forgot to mention those. I also have Dr. Who soundtracks, the new series (I know it's tv and not movies but I thought I'd mention it).

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I have the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I know I'm in the minority but for some reason I haven't warmed up to Goldsmith's version. Maybe because I'm so used to listening to TD's version, Goldsmith's seems out of place. TD's soundtrack has that fantasy feel to it. It's strange how a soundtrack can completely change the way you experience a movie.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I have the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I know I'm in the minority but for some reason I haven't warmed up to Goldsmith's version. Maybe because I'm so used to listening to TD's version, Goldsmith's seems out of place. TD's soundtrack has that fantasy feel to it. It's strange how a soundtrack can completely change the way you experience a movie.
I agree with you, Bob. I loved both the movie and score upon their initial release back in 1986, and didn't get to hear any of Goldsmith's score until years after. I love Goldsmith's score on its own, but I still think that the TD score works better in the film. Goldsmith seemed to have a different vision of the film, one that didn't quite mesh with what eventually ended up on screen. The longer Director's Cut with Goldsmith's score restored works pretty well, but I still get the impression that Goldsmith was writing for a more literal "fairy tale."

- Mark

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
You're right, there are examples of Elmer Bernstein's rejected score for Gangs of New York put back into the movie on YouTube, compared to the release version with Howard Shore's music and some contemporary songs. It makes it a completely different movie. Bernstein's version is more of a reference to the epics of the Golden Age, while the other makes the movie more modern. Fascinating stuff.

For some reason I really enjoy movie soundtracks, while I cannot seem to get into classical music as much as I like. You would think they're not so different, but maybe it's just me. However, classical music that's been featured in movies, I can listen to. The bits and pieces of Mozart's work in Amadeus are wonderful. Perhaps I'm just familiar with those pieces?
As for favorite composers, they're many, and I like at least some scores of a lot of composers. I don't have many composers I truly dislike. Some work gets stale after a while, but then there's the one soundtrack that's magnificent. Hans Zimmer's work gets a bit predictable sometimes, but for example The Thin Red Line is an amazing piece of work.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

For some reason I really enjoy movie soundtracks, while I cannot seem to get into classical music as much as I like. You would think they're not so different, but maybe it's just me. However, classical music that's been featured in movies, I can listen to.
I am exactly the same way.

You would think that since I'm such a Horner nut that I'd be very much into classical music, since Horner has incorporated so much into his scores, but aside from seeking out the source for comparison/contrast, I still have no interest in listening to classical at all.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Could it be that you find yourself playing the movie in your mind as you listen to the soundtrack as opposed to picturing a conductor and a bunch of musicians? I find that to be the case with me.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Could it be that you find yourself playing the movie in your mind as you listen to the soundtrack as opposed to picturing a conductor and a bunch of musicians? I find that to be the case with me.
That's not the case with me. I listen to soundtracks of movies I've never even seen before /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
For me it depends on the score.

If it's for a film that featured such obvious and prominent music (at least to me), like a Batman or a Star Wars, then the film never leaves my mind when listening.

For the vast majority of Horner scores I have, I don't have that same sense of being tied to the film's images.

I enjoy film music, but I'm not really a soundtrack collector. I collect Horner's music because I want to hear everything he's done but it's not for the sake of 'collecting' at all. 80% of the music I've enjoyed from films stays in the films and not in my stereo, with some exceptions. I like the marriage between the image and music, so I'm not out to buy just anything with the word 'soundtrack' on it.

Plus, with all the video segments I've seen of composers conducting their orchestras as they score their films, that aspect is almost always there as well.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Screen Archives, along with BuySoundtrax and La La Land Records have been releasing some interesting soundtracks (same with TV show soundtracks). Recently purchased the soundtracks for:

Telefon/Hide in Plain Sight
A Time to Every Purpose/The Name of the Game is...Kill/The Meal
Terror in the Aisles.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Forthcoming CD movie soundtracks available for pre-order (source: Screen Archives):

A Ciascuno il Suo / La Polizia E' Al Servizio Del Cittadino? - late September
A Lonely Place to Die - Tuesday 13th September
Another Man, Another Chance - mid-September
Cacciatori Di Navi (Expanded) - late August
Commando (1985) - Tuesday 6th September
Descente Aux Enfers - late September
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011) - Tuesday 27th September
Dream House (2011) - Tuesday 27th September
Drive - Tuesday 27th September
Eternal Sea / Make Haste To Live - mid-September
Harry in Your Pocket (1973) - late September
I Diabolici Convegni - late September
il Castello Dei Morti Vivi (Castle of the Living Dead) - mid-September
il Monaco (The Monk) - mid-September
La Citta Gioca D'Azzardo (Gambling City) - mid-September
Le Grand Pardon - late September
Malenka, La Nipote Del Vampiro / I Diabolici Convegni - late September
Matchless (1967) - late August
Ming,Ragazzi! (Mr. Hercules Against Karate) - mid-September
Moneyball (2011) - Tuesday 20th September
The Help (2011) - Tuesday 13th September
The Lord Of The Rings Symphony (2 CD) - Tuesday 13th September
The Stone Killer (1973) / Diamonds (1975) - Monday 19th September
The Thing (2011) - Tuesday 11th October
Warrior (2011) - Tuesday 29th August.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thanks Richard - this is a great summary. I was lucky enough to get my pre-order of LaLaLand's Commando before they sold out (in less than 48 hours). I have the Varese release from a few years ago, but since Horner is my all time favorite composer, I can't pass up any new release of his works.

Thanks again for the roundup.

Originally Posted by WaveCrest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Forthcoming CD movie soundtracks available for pre-order (source: Screen Archives):

A Ciascuno il Suo / La Polizia E' Al Servizio Del Cittadino? - late September

A Lonely Place to Die - Tuesday 13th September

Another Man, Another Chance - mid-September

Cacciatori Di Navi (Expanded) - late August

Commando (1985) - Tuesday 6th September

Descente Aux Enfers - late September

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011) - Tuesday 27th September

Dream House (2011) - Tuesday 27th September

Drive - Tuesday 27th September

Eternal Sea / Make Haste To Live - mid-September

Harry in Your Pocket (1973) - late September

I Diabolici Convegni - late September

il Castello Dei Morti Vivi (Castle of the Living Dead) - mid-September

il Monaco (The Monk) - mid-September

La Citta Gioca D'Azzardo (Gambling City) - mid-September

Le Grand Pardon - late September

Malenka, La Nipote Del Vampiro / I Diabolici Convegni - late September

Matchless (1967) - late August

Ming,Ragazzi! (Mr. Hercules Against Karate) - mid-September

Moneyball (2011) - Tuesday 20th September

The Help (2011) - Tuesday 13th September

The Lord Of The Rings Symphony (2 CD) - Tuesday 13th September

The Stone Killer (1973) / Diamonds (1975) - Monday 19th September

The Thing (2011) - Tuesday 11th October

Warrior (2011) - Tuesday 29th August.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss /t/261380/movie-soundtracks/30#post_3847856
Thanks Richard - this is a great summary. I was lucky enough to get my pre-order of LaLaLand's Commando before they sold out (in less than 48 hours). I have the Varese release from a few years ago, but since Horner is my all time favorite composer, I can't pass up any new release of his works.

Thanks again for the roundup.
Thanks for your positive comments/observations Neil. Had wanted to post an occasional list of CD soundtracks/CD score albums available for pre-order in the Music folder, and see if it proved helpful to HTF posters. Some of or all of the albums available to pre-order and buy on Screen Archives should be available on BuySoundtrax and La La Land Records as well (Volume 1 of The X Files is a CD set well worth getting), and some can be exclusive to one or more of these soundtrack shopping websites.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Intrada and Disney have a deal for limited editions of soundtracks. Their last two are The Black Hole and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. If they ever do the complete songs and score to Bedknobs and Broomsticks I'll be doing backflips that'll put Mary Lou Retton to shame.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I think I've seen that somewhere on Screen Archives, the front cover for The Black Hole soundtrack.

May consider getting the soundtrack for the film Burnt Offerings (starring Oliver Reed and Karen Black).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'm with you there, Sam. Was listening to this again today and the use of the brass instruments to create that unsettling and brooding atmosphere is incredibly well done!

Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/261380/movie-soundtracks/30#post_3848741
I'm LOVING my Devil soundtrack, HIGHLY recommended!
I picked up Intrada's The Black Hole (love John Barry) and have enjoyed that as well since it arrived, especially the trippy end track.

PatH

Second Unit
Of the hundreds I have I'll mention two: Goldsmith's The Wind and the Lion (he said once he thought he had a chance at the Oscar until he heard Williams's opening riff for Jaws) and Poledouris's Conan the Barbarian.
PatH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks