1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Music' started by Gary->dee, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Amadeus19

Amadeus19 Member

Neil,

Unfortunately, no, it did not have cues from Bear McCreary's score.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Wait, so the best soundtrack I've heard in years, Fernando Velazquez's Devil, doesn't get released as a CD or on iTunes or Amazon? THIS IS PATHETIC =(

3. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss
    There is nothing more disappointing that hearing a wonderful score and not being able to find it because it hasn't been released. A few years ago I discovered a film called Cashback - a magnificant film that I highly recommend - and the score (by Guy Farley) was not available. It was commerically released (very limited) sometime after I discovered the film, but I hate it when a great score isn't given an opportunity to find an audience.

4. tubmanaxton

tubmanaxton New Member

Movie soundtracks could make or break the film. Music has been accompanying movies since 1892, but really exploded post World War II when it developed pop and classical movie soundtrack subgenres. What would the movie Jaws have been like without its chilling orchestral movie music? Movie songs not only set the mood of a film, they can produce intense emotional reactions in theatergoers.

5. leegrace

leegrace Member

I have:

Trainspotting
    Control
    Stand By Me
    Saturday Night Fever
    Grease
    My Best Friends Wedding
    Transformers
    Twilight
    Pretty in Pink
    Say Anything
    That Thing You Do
    Gladiator
    Dumb and Dumber
    All have awesome music!
    A Clockwork Orange
    Singin' In The Rain
    A Nightmare Before Christmas
    Forrest Gump

6. Corwin

Corwin Member

Wow nice collection ....I liked all f these .
    have a Good idea .

7. Corwin

Corwin Member

nice collection shared .......I liked this all.
    Thanks a lot to share it .

8. rich_d

rich_d Well-Known Member

Rich
    3 years late in response, but the Cashback Soundtrack is available from Amazon.

9. Emanuel1

Emanuel1 Active Member

Dessel Martro
    The best of all time would be : Speak Softly Love (Love Theme from The Godfather) by Andy Williams
    second best one would be the end title from Scent of a woman by Thomas Newman

10. swoosherst

swoosherst Member

Jess
    LOTR , Hunger Games

11. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Well-Known Member

Brent
    Got too many to mention but gotta give some love to my fave score in years: Michael Giacchino's moving masterwork for John Carter.

Quatermass II likes this.
  12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    OUCH!

[​IMG]

13. Quatermass II

Quatermass II Well-Known Member

John Hayes
    Been a soundtrack collector since my early teens (fifty years ago), first on vinyl, of course (many of which are now lost, unfortunately), and then CD. I mean to count them someday, but there must be hundreds. Favourites? Too many to name, but I lean towards the fifties and sixties scores - those of Tiomkin, Rozsa and Herrmann, North, Harline and Bernstein. I like a lot of Jerry Goldsmith's early scores - Stagecoach, Rio Conchos, Chinatown, etc, but not so much the later ones. It's always nice to see some of the 'lost' fifties and sixties scores appearing on CD now. Latest purchase is Herrmann's score for Beneath The Twelve-Mile Reef.

14. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss
    Some fine favorite composers there - I've recently been in a Rozsa mood, endlessly spinning his The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Such a wonderful score.

I recently inventoried my CD collection, and I am just shy of 1500 scores, with James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams topping the list of most owned scores. I recently picked up the new release of Goldsmith's The Challenge (released by Lalaland Records last year,) and it's another great Goldsmith invention!

15. Quatermass II

Quatermass II Well-Known Member

John Hayes
    I've been giving some thought to which scores actually are my favourites, so I've based my choice on those I seem to play most often. So: Johnny Green's score for Raintree County; Dimitri Tiomkin's Land of the Pharaohs, The War Wagon and Rio Bravo; Jerry Goldsmith's The List of Adrian Messenger, Stagecoach, Rio Conchos, The Sand Pebbles and The Blue Max; Leigh Harline's Broken Lance, Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and House of Bamboo; Miklos Rozsa's The Red House, Green Fire, El Cid and The Thief of Bagdad; George Antheil's The Pride and the Passion; Elmer Bernstein's The Comancheros, Bridge at Remagen, True Grit, Walk on the Wild Side and Some Came Running; Les Baxter's Goliath and the Barbarians, Master of the World and Fall of the House of Usher; Ennio Morricone's Mission To Mars; Jerry Fielding's Advise and Consent; James Horner's Brainstorm; Hugo Freidhofer's Best Years of Our lives and One Eyed Jacks; Alex North's Cleopatra and Spartacus; Bronislau Kaper's Mutiny on the Bounty and The Way West. Tangerine Dream's The Keep; Mario Nascimbene's Barabbas and Bernard Herrman's Taxi Driver.

Truth is, I like 'em all I guess - it's why I bought them in first place!

JoelA and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  16. ChromeJob

ChromeJob Well-Known Member
    Supporter

David S.
    Neil, thanks for the tip on the Rozsa score, Google Play Music has ... one 5 minute track. :)

As a teen I had several of the Charles Gerhardt score tapes, and a few years ago I dove deep into Amazon getting the CDs. Have always been intrigued they they encoded them in Dolby Surround to make the most of that 1990s playback option. They sound great that way (using Dolby Pro Logic II Music). Ol recordings, but they still sound great. Thank goodness they retained the liner notes in the CDs, some great stories and insights there....

I'm longing for that BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF CD, the Gerhardt rendition of a suite of Herrmann's music sounds incredible, particularly with my new subwoofer. Herrmann knew how to rock the big woofers.

Now listening to Rozsa's score to THE KILLERs. Wow, what a "Prelude."

Neil Middlemiss likes this.
  17. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss
    If you like Miklós Rózsa, you should head over to Screen Archives to snag the box set while it's 30% off with code fsm2015 (as I just did.)

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13181/MIKLOS-ROZSA-TREASURY-300-EDITION/

And Kritzerland released a limited 1000 edition of Beneath the 12 Mile Reef - :)

https://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28810/BENEATH-THE-12-MILE-REEF-1000-EDITION/

Rózsa and Herrmann where the masters!

ChromeJob likes this.
  18. ChromeJob

ChromeJob Well-Known Member
    Supporter

David S.
    Yeah, I almost ordered that Kritzerland REEF CD at Screen Archives with Zardoz and a couple of obscure soundtracks (Synanon, Enter Laughing, Woman In a Cage). Wish I could afford a box set (that Star Trek TOS complete set calls to me), but still between jobs, so.... And my garbage disposer grenaded itself yesterday, so ... (sigh). SAE had a few Twilight Time BDs on sale that I wanted so bad (Born Yesteday, Fate is the Hunter, Experiment in Terror [filmed at my old high school!]).

Trivia note: watched THE BANDWAGON making of ... Alexander Courage arranged the "Guess I'll Go By Myself" number performed by Jack Buchanan and Fred Astaire. One of his early assignments/opporunties that he treasured doing.

19. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    This isn't a movie, but the video game was epic and sucked away a lot of my time back in the day. :)

20. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I highly recommend checking out "Crooked Arrows" by Brian Ralston!