What's new

Movie Soundtracks (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wait, so the best soundtrack I've heard in years, Fernando Velazquez's Devil, doesn't get released as a CD or on iTunes or Amazon? THIS IS PATHETIC =(

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
There is nothing more disappointing that hearing a wonderful score and not being able to find it because it hasn't been released. A few years ago I discovered a film called Cashback - a magnificant film that I highly recommend - and the score (by Guy Farley) was not available. It was commerically released (very limited) sometime after I discovered the film, but I hate it when a great score isn't given an opportunity to find an audience.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Wait, so the best soundtrack I've heard in years, Fernando Velazquez's Devil, doesn't get released as a CD or on iTunes or Amazon? THIS IS PATHETIC =(

tubmanaxton

Auditioning
Real Name
tubmanaxton
Movie soundtracks could make or break the film. Music has been accompanying movies since 1892, but really exploded post World War II when it developed pop and classical movie soundtrack subgenres. What would the movie Jaws have been like without its chilling orchestral movie music? Movie songs not only set the mood of a film, they can produce intense emotional reactions in theatergoers.

leegrace

Auditioning
Real Name
Lee Grace
I have:

Trainspotting
Control
Stand By Me
Saturday Night Fever
Grease
My Best Friends Wedding
Transformers
Twilight
Pretty in Pink
Say Anything
That Thing You Do
Gladiator
Dumb and Dumber
All have awesome music!
A Clockwork Orange
Singin' In The Rain
A Nightmare Before Christmas
Forrest Gump

Corwin

Auditioning
Real Name
Corwin
nice collection shared .......I liked this all.
Thanks a lot to share it .

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Neil Middlemiss said:
There is nothing more disappointing that hearing a wonderful score and not being able to find it because it hasn't been released. A few years ago I discovered a film called Cashback - a magnificant film that I highly recommend - and the score (by Guy Farley) was not available. It was commerically released (very limited) sometime after I discovered the film, but I hate it when a great score isn't given an opportunity to find an audience.
3 years late in response, but the Cashback Soundtrack is available from Amazon.

Emanuel1

Agent
Real Name
Dessel Martro
The best of all time would be : Speak Softly Love (Love Theme from The Godfather) by Andy Williams
second best one would be the end title from Scent of a woman by Thomas Newman

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OUCH!

dvYThYz.jpg

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
Been a soundtrack collector since my early teens (fifty years ago), first on vinyl, of course (many of which are now lost, unfortunately), and then CD. I mean to count them someday, but there must be hundreds. Favourites? Too many to name, but I lean towards the fifties and sixties scores - those of Tiomkin, Rozsa and Herrmann, North, Harline and Bernstein. I like a lot of Jerry Goldsmith's early scores - Stagecoach, Rio Conchos, Chinatown, etc, but not so much the later ones. It's always nice to see some of the 'lost' fifties and sixties scores appearing on CD now. Latest purchase is Herrmann's score for Beneath The Twelve-Mile Reef.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Quatermass II said:
Been a soundtrack collector since my early teens (fifty years ago), first on vinyl, of course (many of which are now lost, unfortunately), and then CD. I mean to count them someday, but there must be hundreds. Favourites? Too many to name, but I lean towards the fifties and sixties scores - those of Tiomkin, Rozsa and Herrmann, North, Harline and Bernstein. I like a lot of Jerry Goldsmith's early scores - Stagecoach, Rio Conchos, Chinatown, etc, but not so much the later ones. It's always nice to see some of the 'lost' fifties and sixties scores appearing on CD now. Latest purchase is Herrmann's score for Beneath The Twelve-Mile Reef.
Some fine favorite composers there - I've recently been in a Rozsa mood, endlessly spinning his The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Such a wonderful score.

I recently inventoried my CD collection, and I am just shy of 1500 scores, with James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams topping the list of most owned scores. I recently picked up the new release of Goldsmith's The Challenge (released by Lalaland Records last year,) and it's another great Goldsmith invention!

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I've been giving some thought to which scores actually are my favourites, so I've based my choice on those I seem to play most often. So: Johnny Green's score for Raintree County; Dimitri Tiomkin's Land of the Pharaohs, The War Wagon and Rio Bravo; Jerry Goldsmith's The List of Adrian Messenger, Stagecoach, Rio Conchos, The Sand Pebbles and The Blue Max; Leigh Harline's Broken Lance, Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and House of Bamboo; Miklos Rozsa's The Red House, Green Fire, El Cid and The Thief of Bagdad; George Antheil's The Pride and the Passion; Elmer Bernstein's The Comancheros, Bridge at Remagen, True Grit, Walk on the Wild Side and Some Came Running; Les Baxter's Goliath and the Barbarians, Master of the World and Fall of the House of Usher; Ennio Morricone's Mission To Mars; Jerry Fielding's Advise and Consent; James Horner's Brainstorm; Hugo Freidhofer's Best Years of Our lives and One Eyed Jacks; Alex North's Cleopatra and Spartacus; Bronislau Kaper's Mutiny on the Bounty and The Way West. Tangerine Dream's The Keep; Mario Nascimbene's Barabbas and Bernard Herrman's Taxi Driver.

Truth is, I like 'em all I guess - it's why I bought them in first place!

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Neil, thanks for the tip on the Rozsa score, Google Play Music has ... one 5 minute track. :)

As a teen I had several of the Charles Gerhardt score tapes, and a few years ago I dove deep into Amazon getting the CDs. Have always been intrigued they they encoded them in Dolby Surround to make the most of that 1990s playback option. They sound great that way (using Dolby Pro Logic II Music). Ol recordings, but they still sound great. Thank goodness they retained the liner notes in the CDs, some great stories and insights there....

I'm longing for that BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF CD, the Gerhardt rendition of a suite of Herrmann's music sounds incredible, particularly with my new subwoofer. Herrmann knew how to rock the big woofers.

Now listening to Rozsa's score to THE KILLERs. Wow, what a "Prelude."

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
ChromeJob said:
Neil, thanks for the tip on the Rozsa score, Google Play Music has ... one 5 minute track. :)

As a teen I had several of the Charles Gerhardt score tapes, and a few years ago I dove deep into Amazon getting the CDs. Have always been intrigued they they encoded them in Dolby Surround to make the most of that 1990s playback option. They sound great that way (using Dolby Pro Logic II Music). Ol recordings, but they still sound great. Thank goodness they retained the liner notes in the CDs, some great stories and insights there....

I'm longing for that BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF CD, the Gerhardt rendition of a suite of Herrmann's music sounds incredible, particularly with my new subwoofer. Herrmann knew how to rock the big woofers.

Now listening to Rozsa's score to THE KILLERs. Wow, what a "Prelude."

If you like Miklós Rózsa, you should head over to Screen Archives to snag the box set while it's 30% off with code fsm2015 (as I just did.)

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13181/MIKLOS-ROZSA-TREASURY-300-EDITION/

And Kritzerland released a limited 1000 edition of Beneath the 12 Mile Reef - :)

https://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28810/BENEATH-THE-12-MILE-REEF-1000-EDITION/

Rózsa and Herrmann where the masters!

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Yeah, I almost ordered that Kritzerland REEF CD at Screen Archives with Zardoz and a couple of obscure soundtracks (Synanon, Enter Laughing, Woman In a Cage). Wish I could afford a box set (that Star Trek TOS complete set calls to me), but still between jobs, so.... And my garbage disposer grenaded itself yesterday, so ... (sigh). SAE had a few Twilight Time BDs on sale that I wanted so bad (Born Yesteday, Fate is the Hunter, Experiment in Terror [filmed at my old high school!]).

Trivia note: watched THE BANDWAGON making of ... Alexander Courage arranged the "Guess I'll Go By Myself" number performed by Jack Buchanan and Fred Astaire. One of his early assignments/opporunties that he treasured doing.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This isn't a movie, but the video game was epic and sucked away a lot of my time back in the day. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks