What's new

Movie series in constant decline? (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Another series where the relative quality is all over the place and not in constant decline.

And I also think Batman Returns is superior to the original. The characters were much more refined, textured and interesting.

To nominate a series I'd go with Scream. The original was great, the second was a lot of fun but the multiple Scooby Doo endings that has literally a half-hour of pulling off masks was a chore to watch, and the third just sits there lifelessly.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Bond films. Oh my god they just get stupider and stupider ever attempt. Space laser that can carve glaciers don't harm airplanes! Yes, thats a red-headed asian supervillain wearing a hot-rodder Nintendo Power-Glove (tm)!

and an invisible car. This is worse than stealth boats and satellites that shoot EMP shockwaves.

And on top of all "gizmo crap" that these movies manufacture, have we really needed a brittish super-hero spy series since the fall of communism?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'd strongly disagree, for they go good or bad from flick to flick. Each follow-up has to be worse than its predecessor, and since the series violated that rule with film 2 - From Russia With Love is superior to Dr. No - I'd definitely not put it in this category.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

..yeah they should have turned him into an ammerikan super-hero spy by now..;)

All the Bond films were good fun, and there's always Flint, Helm or um XXX for the Bond bashers.

david stark

Second Unit
With the ones mentioned so far, I'd definitely agree with Jaws and Batman. Certainly not agree with Godfather (I thought 2 was better than 1).

As for a new suggestion, what about the lord of the rings. Still for me the fellowship is the best, followed by the two towers followed by return of tghe king, although I should really wait for the EE of return of the king.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I don't know. Jaws 2 was just plain boring, but Jaws 3 was so ridiculously bad it was funny, and therefore a hell of a lot more fun to watch!

You mean we're talking about some damn shark's mutha! :laugh:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

But everyone remembers Rene Russo and the scar contest. ;)

Personally, I liked 3 better than 2...

Jason

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Jaws" seems to be the winner so far, though I also agree with "The Matrix."

How about "Critters"?
or "Puppet Master"?
or "The Howling"?
or "Hellraiser"?
or Disney's "Aladdin"?
or Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't count them because they're not "real" sequels - the further adventures were direct-to-video, so it's not fair to include them.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i dunno.
i'd keep my copies of Bourne Supremecy and 2 seasons of Alias before i would the Bond movies- even the ones i still like.
the formula is just too stale at this point and the 'you seen one you seen 'em all' feeling is hard to shake with that franchise.

i happen to still like Jaws 2.
i think as far as sequels go, its a cut above what most have become- is it better than the first film? of course not- but at least the main character is an adult and is treated like a flawed human being in that situation would reasonably be expected to act. and even the 'teens' i don't find annoying.
in fact, i think the way they respond to the events in the last act of the film is interesting and relatively realistic.
i won't argue that the film doesn't have flaws, but i think it gets a bummer rap than it deserves- especially after some of the more popular (and much dumber) sequels i've seen in its wake.

the real debate is whether J3 was better than J4.
both were complete steaming piles as far as i could see, with J3 looking a little cheaper & tackier due to its 'set' bound nature and lackluster cast.
beyond M Caine and some better scenery, J4 is no improvment though.

and yes, Batman Returns was the best of the series-
the sub plot with the Penguin running for mayor was inspired.
that level of whimsy and satire hasn't been seen since...er well...since it was a plot of one of the episodes of the tv show.
but then at least there was the excitment of seeing the rocket packed penguins having their radio signals jammed and then being compelled to waddle back in the direction they came.
action and adventure on that scale really makes chills run down my spine ;)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
How about Highlander?

Course, I haven't gotten around to seeing Endgame, but 2 and 3 were pretty bad. The question is, is 3 better than 2?

Jason

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
what was his name Jack Travis or something like that.

You remember him just fine, lol.

Highlander 3 was bad but highlander 2 was an abysmal piece of dreck that not only disappointed me when i first saw it, but it broke my heart. I loved the original and so looked forward to the sequel that I was just stunned at what a massive pile of crap that Highlander 2 was that I hope that the amount of disappointment and horror that occured viewing that monstrosity is never repeated for the rest of my life. Lol.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I gotta disagree heavily here. Aside from the story of Vito coming to power, & the scenes with Lee Strasberg, 2 is just a trite rehash of 1. (Also, you lose points for using "whole new level", dude.:D)

-Both films begin with a party, end with a massacre, that's a mainstay of the series BUT the party & massacre in 1 are far more memorable. In 1 it was Connie's wedding & the significance is that the occasion reunites Michael, Sonny & Fredo. In 2, it was Anthony's 1st communion & bunch of people demanding help from Michael or insulting him, big whup.

-2 literally uses the word "fam'ly" way too much! Yeah, I know it's part of the lexicon of gangster dialogue but it must've been spoken 100 times in 2. "My fam'ly." "Dah fam'ly." "Crime fam'ly."

-Also the Senate crime hearings are just flimsy, when they ask Michael if he was known "in certain circles as 'godfather'" I wince at the way the line is delivered.

-While I'll admit that Michael has a [rant]different[/rant]dimension in 2 because he is now the Prince of Darkness, it just seems like Al Pacino is bored. His character doesn't exhibit any of the dynamic development we saw in 1, where he goes from being an upstanding war hero to murderous & powerful thug. This is something that was improved upon in 3 because he tries to reconcile with his kids & Kay.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
As much as I love the films, I would have to say that the Matrix movies "declined" for me. I own them all and will probably get the uber-boxset when it comes out.

How about the Jack Ryan movies?

I thought The Hunt for Red October was great but was kinda ambivalent about the rest.

The Hunt for Red October
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I agree about Hunt being the best but I like Clear and Present Danger almost as much. I didn't care for Patriot Games (loved the novel though) but I did enjoy Sum of All Fears.

George See

Second Unit
I like Clear and Present Danger more then Hunt for Red October but only by a hair.

How about Jurasaic Park

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I would not pick The Howling because none of those "sequels" where in any way related to the original, In fact several of them where made as original films, that where only labeled as sequels to the Howling, when video distributers realized they could sell more copies to video rental stores with the name recognition of "The Howling" attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks