What's new

Movie sequences that UNNERVED YOU... (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
Oh yeah, Jaws messed me up when I first saw it (I think I was 9 when I first saw it).

The underside of Harper's boat and the dismembered leg sinking to the bottom really messed me up.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just thought of another one, the scene in The Others when Nicole Kidman goes into that room with everything covered up in sheets and she hears that gasping sound and backs into that statues hand!

You need a 5.1 set up to get this one effectively though.

Jon Z,

gotta thing for Anna Paquin do ya? ;) I don't blame you.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I'll throw in my vote with Blair Witch. No movie has ever freaked me out like that one did, even knowing it was fake didn't help. Saw it opening night in theaters and it was awesome, this movie is amazing with a good audience. The gasps that erupted when Mike admits to kicking the map into the creek.
were something else.

To this day I have only watched the movie on its own once, in theaters. I have seen it numerous times at home on DVD to listen to the awesome commentary, but I can't watch it without the commentary or it gets way too creepy for me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dome,
Yes!!! I forgot about that. I first saw Exorcist 3 late one night on Cinemax. The hallway with the nurse and also when the statue changes with the knife.

Gave me goosebumps when I saw it. I wouldnt say its was unnerving but it was definitely one of the times I was really crepped out watching a movie.

Very creepy:emoji_thumbsup:

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Nice selections in this thread. I would add the first half of Candyman, especially the mirror sequence when the 2 girls try to repeat the magic word, I was really creeped when I first watched this alone at night.

Also, pretty much all of Halloween, even though I must have seen it 30 times, I am still physically exhausted after watching it because of the tension.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
John W: I, too, was unnerved by a sequence in THE OTHERS, but my choice is the one in which the children are in their dark bedroom, and the boy hears the ghost voice for the first time. There is a palpable sense of absolute terror here, putting me much closer in touch with my childhood assurance (40-50 years ago!) that something was in my own bedroom with me and I barely dared to breathe.

FredK

Second Unit
While many of the horror movies mentioned did keep me in anticipation and provided many jumps, and the war movies (esp SPR) have scenes that still cause me to clench my teeth... the one scene that sticks with me the longest after each time I see it is undoubtably in Castaway when Hanks has to pull off his own dental surgery.

OUCH.

It takes at least a day to forget about it.

Estevan

Stunt Coordinator
in an attempt to add something new, how about the climax of Damage (was there ever a more aptly named film)? or, for that matter, the entire second half of The Talented Mr. Ripley... i kept waiting for him to get caught.

and just for the record, The Blair Witch Project scared the hell out of me too... especially that closing image.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - the paranoid build up of the first half hour is very good but that end shot, with the creepy Amazing grace music leading up to it, has stayed with me since I first saw it in 78 when was 10 years old.....but then again so has Devil Dog: Hound of Hell...;)

The final ten minutes of The Andromeda Strain are the perfect example of a properly done cinematic cliche' "the ticking clock".

Same goes for the climaxes of...
Escape from New York
Alien
Aliens
the good 007's
The Chairman, (1969)
the list goes on and on and on.......

I liked Blair Witch but I then again I think it helps to have a healthy sense of imagination with certain films.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Creepy: "The Shining": Danny going into Room 237, the old woman coming after him. Her laughter still creeps me out, even though I've seen this dozens of times!

Uncomfortably funny: "The Rules of Attraction": that restaurant scene with Dick. That guy was hilarious!

Unnerving: just about all of "Eraserhead", but specifically the scenes with the rest of the family. That little old lady in the kitchen, that creepy guy whose smile turns into a seemingly permanent frozen rictus. Yikes!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This isn't an attempt to bump my own thread, but another sequence that made me assume the contours of my theater seat was that in which David Naughton and Griffin Dunne are on the moors, lost, and realize that the frightening sounds they are hearing are encircling them.

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
Fargo, great movie, but when that dude shoots himself in the face... ouch
Also, one of my all time favorites until Tim Robbins... oh never mind, but the end when the car is driven into the basement of the FBI building and the big secret is revealed in slow motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks