What's new

Movie sequences that UNNERVED YOU... (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Definitely the scene in Bully that Dean referred too...as well as Requiem for a Dream and Saving Private Ryan

The chase in the woods in Last House on the Left.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
When Leatherface takes out the first too, culminating with hanging the chick on a meat-hook

I'm sure there are plenty others that I can't think of right now.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Blaine, glad you mentioned ALIEN. The sequence that just about gave me a coronary was the one in which Harry Dean Stanton goes looking for Jones, the cat. You're expecting him to get zapped at every corner (and he turns plenty of corners) as he calls, "Here, kitty... here, Jonesy..." The actual appearance of the alien was somewhat anticlimactic.

Matthew B

Auditioning
I've got to say the most unnerving sequence for me was the climax of RINGU;

when Sadako crawls out of the TV.

I seriously stayed up all night just staring at the TV in my bedroom after I first saw that.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I did a thread quite similar to this in the Polls section not too long ago. Anyhow, here are the ones that really disturbed or freaked me out, and still do:

The Shining- The scene with the freaky guy in the dog suit.

Jaws- The part where that guy's boat has been knocked over and you can just see the humongous shark under him coming at him with his mouth open.

The Blair Witch Project- Basically every scene after they first enter the woods.

Prince of Darkness- The scene where Wyndham is standing outside the window talking in that weird as hell voice, and then falls apart covered in bugs. "Pray for death."

Irreversible- The hard to watch rape, and the very graphic revenge with the fire extinguisher.

Requiem for a Dream- Basically the whole film really gets to me and is very saddening and disturbing for me. My favorite film of all time.

Mulholland Dr.- The guy behind the Winkies. Also, the end with the old people chasing my beloved Naomi.

The Hitcher- The scene where the police dog is sadly licking his dead master.

Black Christmas- All of the killer's phone calls.

Lost Highway- The scene where Pullman first meets the Mystery Man at the party, and he tells Pullman to call him at his house.

An American Werewolf in London- The Nazi werewolf dream sequence.

Session 9- Every scene where you hear the sessions and the freaky multiple personality voices. Those are damn creepy.

The Thing- The dog kennel scene & the blood test scene.

Signs- The Brazilian camcorder birthday sighting.

Audition- The torture scene and the little Beagle's fate.

The Night Flier- The scene where the mirror only shows blood going into the urinal while Dwight Renfield urinates, and the end scene with the zombie vampires.

Devil's Advocate- The scene where Charlize Theron gets a quick glimpse of that one woman's demonic reflection.

Dead and Buried- The syringe in the eye scene. The zombies in this film are also freaky as hell.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)- The man headed dog scene, and the ending with Sutherland giving the signal.

The Serpent and the Rainbow- Pullman's dream sequence with the freaky skeleton that has the snake come out of its mouth.

The New York Ripper- the awfully painful looking nipple slit and eye slit scene.

Salo- All of the shit eating and mutilation.

Almost all of these scenes are some of my favorite scenes ever committed to celluloid because of how effective and excellent they truly are.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
On a similar take, Pulp Fiction had the suspense dialed to 11 when they were about to administer the adrenaline into Mia Wallace. If you've never heard an entire theater hold its breath collectively, you've never seen this scene. "Woah, that was fucking trippy!" indeed.

Also, how about these:
Braveheart - confessing "Freedom"
Panic Room - the scene where... oh hell, the whole movie after the first 5 minutes
Silence of the Lambs - Green nightvision has been used as a tool of suspense, but never this well.
Read Window - as Lars loses in first on Lisa and then on Jeff, bound to his wheelchair
The Blair Witch Project - I know this is polarizing, but I (and the whole theater) was wound up tighter than a drum as the remaining crew headed into the old house.
Frailty - contains many scenes of great suspense, but probably none better than when young Adam is called to participate in his fathers activities in the basement.
Contact - "Okay...to...go"

Tim OK

Auditioning
Lots of good mentions here... The one that got me that nobody said anything about was the scene in Blackhawk Down where they were trying to tie off the artery in the wounded soldiers leg.

I can't remember a scene in any movie that made me squirm so much and feel so uncomfortable.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
In Cold Blood, when the farm family is killed, especially the young girl. Still bothers me today even though I have seen it only once, many, many years ago.

The Naked Prey. Excellent film, except I will never again watch the beginning when the safari members are tortured.

The Haunting, when Julie Harris wakes up. I can't describe more than that without revealing the surprise.

Alien, when the creature bursts out of John Hurt's chest - totally unexpected.

Gary Q

Grip
How about the behind-the-diner scene in Mulholland Dr.? You know, where the one guy is describing his dream to the other, and they then go out back to check it out…
Well done, dreamy suspense.
Oh, and how about the scene in Hannibal where Dr. Lector serves Krendler his delicately sautéed brains?

And one of my favorite movies, Miami Blues, has a bunch of tummy turners: beginning with Freddie breaking the Krishna’s finger; then following him in the mall (the sound track is amazing here) while he pursues the pickpocket into the restroom and pummels him; and of course, the scene near the end where Freddie gets his fingers macheteed off by the store owner. So many well done, tense scenes in this forgotten gem.

Brad Hood

Agent
I second the vote for the "squeal like a pig" scene from Deliverance. I also found it particularly disturbing when they found the body in the river with the arm all twisted behind the head. The whole movie scarred me for life.

Brad

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Donnie Darko - the movie theatre scene.

"Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit."
"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"
"Why are you called Frank?"
"It was the name of my father, and his father before me."
"Burn it to the ground."

Incredible scene.

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an odd one. I had the worst case of looming disaster during the last section of American Beauty. Kevin Spacey was having entirely too much fun and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. My stomach didn't settle down for an hour.

OK, and Ripley and the darn cat!!

("Requiem" did nothing for me, or to me, except to enjoy Ellen Burstyn's performance.)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was petrified into a stupor during the T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park! :eek: I had never seen a Tyrannosaurus Rex that was so freakin real in my life until this film! I was gripping the arms of my seat so tight that I was surprised I didn't rip them off like Charlie Sheen did in 'Hot Shots'!

The sinking sequence in Titanic tore my heart out, mostly because i've studied the ship since 1986 and to see it happen so realistically, not just physically real but emotionally real as well, was just too tough to take almost. I was both crying and petrified at the same time when the ship busted in two in the final moments.

I agree with the guy who mentioned the faces in The Ring, not just the distorted ones in the photos, but the ones just before a victim bites it, their face changes into a corpse' face for a few frames! I dare anyone to slow mo these sequences and just stare at it! :eek: And don't even get me started on Samara's face! (((shudder))) :frowning: The girl makes Linda Blair look like Charlize Theron!

The first couple of times I saw Speed when the bus is careening through the streets, it's chapter 14 'Through the streets, a hard right' on the dvd. Action at it's most potent!

Just about every tornado sequence in Twister particularly the opening scene and the big F5 at the end. A prime example of using visual and audio artistry to put an audience into chaos!

Ditto for The Perfect Storm also. Mother nature can be a raging bitch in these films!

Any film that depicts any form of dental work or torture, like the scene in Cast Away and The Marathon Man. However, the two biggest offenders in this category are without a doubt The Dentist and (even worse) The Dentist 2 with Corbin Bernson! The scene in 'D2' shows him ripping a woman's teeth out one by one without novacain!
and it goes on for an eternity! :frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning: These films make me actually want to leave the room!

And finally, the entire film of The Relic! Never have I placed myself into a film more so than this one! The darkness, the tension, the knowledge that SOMETHING is in the room with you but you can't see it was intense to the nth degree! Watch it alone with the lights out and the 5.1 cranked to see what I mean! :eek:

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
Raging Bull has two for me. One is when Jake La Motta (De Niro) is getting virtually pulverized up against the ropes by Sugar Ray Robinson. And when Jake is in the Dade County Jail punching and absolutely slamming his head into the walls of the cell. Both those scenes lasted what seem like forever the first time I saw it.

The Signs scenes with the flashlight in the cornfield, and in the basement.

The first time I saw the Blair Witch project I thought it was very suspensful during the night scenes but that movie gets worse every time I see it.

The beginning of the Ring.

I thought the shoot out at the end of the Good the Bad and the Ugly was suspensful/exciting.

I'm sure theres more just drawing blanks.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Pulp Fiction: Jules blowing that guy's head off in the car took me aback quite a bit.

I wouldn't call it 'unnerving' per se, but it sure did JOLT me! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks