What's new

Movie score legend Jerry Goldsmith has died (1 Viewer)

David Prior

Insider

No, you're not. NIMH is such a gorgeous piece of work. At once menacing, lyrical, charming, intense ... just an incredible score.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Just for clarity Bill, Goldsmith was one of many composers to do work on the Twilight Zone and he did not write the main theme. It was written by Marius Constant. Also, Dennis, The Agony and the Ecstacy score is not by Goldsmith, it's by Alex North. However, Jerry Goldsmith does conduct a 1997 rerecording of the score on the Varese Sarabande label. Perhaps this is why you thought the score was by Goldsmith.

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Truly a sad day. Mr Goldsmith was one of my favorites. I always looked forward to his next project. He will surely be missed, but what a legacy he left us.

One of my favorite CD's is the Tribute to Jerry Goldsmith from The Society for the Preservation of Film Music Tribute to Jerry Goldsmith. This was extremely rare and I was lucky enough to pick it up for a mere $6.00 at a local swap meet. For those of you that know about this, know how hard it is to find....an orginal one that is.

R.I.P. Mr. Goldsmith

-Ken

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride

There is wonderful use of wordless chorus on this score. The contrast of the devestating music as the house sinks into the mud with the glorious music that follows is striking.

David Prior

Insider

And the dark, moody atmosphere he created for the Great Owl was so strong. I love that he never patronized the audience. How many other composers would have created cute, pandering music "for kids?"

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Truly sad news.

I have just put the Star Trek: First Contact soundtrack on, and the soaring main theme has bought a tear to my eye.

Res it peace sir.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig

But Jerry did write the score for the short documentary on Michelangelo that preceded the main feature. It was on the VHS version and I think it played that way in theaters also. It was called "The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint".

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
His passing is sad to hear. How long was he fighting cancer for?

So it looks like ST: Nemesis was his last major work that we heard since his "Timeline" score got thrown out.

I wonder if XM Channel 27 (Cinemagic) has done anything to commemorate his passage? A full day of Goldsmith's work would be very nice.

Too many good scores to list. But I still remember being 10 years old and being blown away by his ST:TMP score

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I think I will watch The Omen this weekend in his memory.

RIP Mr Goldsmith

:frowning:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel

Bill is quite right in noting Goldsmith scored the footage that preceded the film itself. Goldsmith was in fact suggested by North to score the segment. The original recording of Goldsmith’s material is exclusive to the Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox box set Varese released earlier in the year [it was limited to 1500 copies]

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I watched this DVD last night along with STTMP and Basic Instinct just for the interviews with Jerry, on the way home from work yesterday I listened to the soundtrack to Mom & Dad Save The World.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

While I was out doing errands all of Friday evening, XM27 was doing all Goldsmith, all the time. They never broke in saying why they were running a Goldsmith marathon but it was good to hear all the music.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I just recently picked up the soundtrack to Rudy and want to echo this statement made earlier in the thread:

A truly legendary composer. Another theme I love is the theme for Star Trek: Voyager. My favorite of all his ST themes.

RIP, Mr. Goldsmith.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
For some reason I thought about it the other night and I remembered that I didn't post a reply here. I'd feel like shit if I didn't acknowledge Jerry Goldsmith's death in this thread. Even though I'm a bigger John Williams fan, Goldsmith is my firm number 2 as far as film composers.

Some of the movie scores I love from Goldsmith(in no particular order):

Poltergeist
Star Trek: Motion Picture
Legend: director's cut
Boyz from Brazil
Damien Omen II
Twilight Zone the movie
Total Recall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks