What's new

Movie score legend Jerry Goldsmith has died (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The legendary Jerry Goldsmith has died aged 75; details here

Some of his finest work raised the standard of many movies: The Blue Max, Star Trek - The Motion Picture, Alien, LA Confidential, Chinatown, Capricorn One, The Omen, Breakheart Pass, The Boys from Brazil - all wonderful scores IMHO. His scores had the ability to lift even quite mediocre films. He was inventive, daring and innovative.

RIP.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I can't believe that they didn't list Patton as some of his finest work. RIP, Jerry.

Crawdaddy

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
:frowning:

What sad news. Think I'll listen to his Alien score today. Ridley Scott had some nice comments about Goldsmith in his commentary on the original 20th anniversary DVD (the opening scenes).

A truly fantastic composer.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Jerry thanks for all your music. His work is ingrained in my mind and linked with many pleasurable moments.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
My personal favorite. I will have to turn the channel on my XMradio to Cinemagic today, I'm sure they will be playing his music all day. RIP, Jerry, you brought so much pleasure to so many.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES July 22, 2004 — Academy Award-winning composer Jerry Goldsmith, who created the memorable music for scores of classic movies and television shows ranging from the "Star Trek" and "Planet of the Apes" series to "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and "Dr. Kildare," has died. He was 75.

Goldsmith died in his sleep Wednesday night at his Beverly Hills home after a long battle with cancer, said Lois Carruth, his personal assistant.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That was simply my brief comment Crawdaddy; I'd have been typing all day had I really tried to make a list of all his fantastic scores and themes. :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
RIP, Maestro . One of the finest film composers of all time. :frowning:

There's a great film music concert going on somewhere right now with Bernard Herrmann, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Max Steiner, Alfred Newman, Miklos Rozsa, Alex North - and now Jerry Goldsmith - all conducting their wonderful music.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
A true legend. I've grown up listening to the scores of Jerry Goldsmith, and although that music will always be there, it's always sad when such a talent leaves our world. I thought that I had read somewhere that his health had been improving, but I guess you never can tell for sure with cancer. Amazing how he kept working so much while fighting it.

Thank you Jerry for inspiring me and enlightening me with your magical talent. This is a very sad day; I wish all his family and friends peace.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I just listened to "A New Ending" from Star Trek - Nemesis in Maestro Goldsmith's memory; perhaps the most stirring piece of modern orchestra I've ever heard--period.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
As a huge fan of film music, this is devastating news. His score to Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of my all-time favorites. I didn't think we'd lose him so soon, as his father only died recently. Rest in peace, Maestro. :frowning:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A very sad day indeed!!!! My favorite film composer. His music has been like friend to me since I first heard it in the early sixties.
I'm sure his soul is soaring as high as his music did.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Mr. Goldsmith has always been a favorite of mine (what with me being a Trek-fan) ... and I always enjoyed many of his fine scores.

Looking at his IMDB entry, I just had to pick up my jaw. I knew he'd done everything from Planet of the Apes to Rambo to Trek, but I had NO idea how many films he'd scored. WOW.

RIP Maestro. You've left behind one heck of a legacy. I'll be listening to some of it today.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
It's really shocking that he only won one Oscar in his career, for The Omen. He lost the Oscar for Patton to Love Story and lost for Star Trek: TMP to A Little Romance. I think we can all agree on which scores people still remember today. He was nominated 18 times, though. His last nomination was for Mulan, one of the most exciting Disney scores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks