What's new

Movie scene, shot, or sequence featuring the WTC that you'll remember most. (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Gary, I don't think we disagree on the basics. I certainly wouldn't want to see previously released works altered (though there are lot of them I won't be watching for a long time). The big question mark is what to do with works in progress, and that's very hard to judge from the outside. Ultimately I think we just have to trust the people making these things to use their best judgment and not try to second-guess them in advance.
M.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Michael, I agree. Regardless of how strongly we have been affected or how we feel future releases should be treated, whether they had been shot prior to 9/11, is out of our hands and in those that we hope will be competent, respectful and honest to what has happened.
I would love to say "in an ideal world" to preface any passionate arguments I have about keeping the Towers in Spider-Man, which is the film I am most passionate about these days. In my mind, having at least one last shot of the web-slinger passing in front of the Towers, much like Superman flying away from the camera before the credits rolled, would be a powerful tribute to the buildings that have as much to do about the character as it is about the city.
But I can't use those words without flinching or having to delete them because the "ideal world" of hypotheticals and wishes came to an abrupt close in the early morning hours of an everlasting Tuesday.
It's a powerful and appropriate idea to me at least; I live twenty minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel, from the city I went to film school in, from the downtown I enjoyed exploring. To keep the Towers in is as much of a wishing for them to come back as it is white hot fury at the people who did this. But it's simply not my decision as there is so much more to take in. This is not a cut and dry, black and white consideration.
For now, it looks to be the mandate of studios to remove the Towers. I have strong feelings about this, just as you do, but until the victims are either rescued or recovered, the funerals and honors held, and the reconstruction begins, any debate is moot despite our pain, fury or frustration.
Regards,
Gary

nousername

Supporting Actor
In the closing credits of Working Girl, the camera does a long zoom out from Melanie Griffiths' new office, and you can see the WTC to the left. Unintentionally, I did a reverse slow-mo and it gives you the perspective of being in the cockpit of a plane as it approaches a building in an impending collision... Very eerie...
There's also a night scene taken from a helicopter as it zooms towards Manhattan with the WTC in the background. It's at the end of chapter 7.
Also, in Marathon Man, you can see the WTC from the window of an airplane just before Szell (Laurence Olivier) arrives in New York.
[Edited last by Allan Mack on September 30, 2001 at 11:30 PM]

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
All of the shots of the WTC exploding and collapsing I'll remember forever
frown.gif

nousername

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie last night, and I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone confirm it?
I'm still in shock over what happened. Buildings can always be replaced, but we can never bring back the people who died. I think that older movies with images of the WTC should be left the way they are. Digitally removing the WTC from scenes will only do a disservice to all the people who perished on September 11.
For movies that have yet to be released, it's okay if the director removes images of the WTC.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was watching "Antz" last night, and the WTC towers were in the very last scene. True, it was a digital painting, but the towers were there. (The movie doesn't state it, but it's obviously New York City).
[Edited last by Allan Mack on November 02, 2001 at 07:13 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks