What's new

Movie Reviews, good or bad? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

For me, whenever Roger Ebert says "it was confusing", I make a point of seeing it. ;)

I enjoy reading him, I often disagree with him, but I know what we'll disagree about, so I'm able to use his reviews to point me towards films I would otherwise miss.

I've stopped looking at the number of stars, because they don't mean anything to me.

Bobby, when you say you've seen "everything" since '95, do you mean everything that goes to the multiplex or do you actually see the art house / limited release stuff too?

Bobby*K

Grip
I guess I need to repharse the statement. Everyone has been so 'clever' with their sarcasm dealing with my movie watching since 1995.

I will use a UNITED ARTISTS theater or SHOWCASE cinemas for example.. Movies released to those theaters I have seen in the theater.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to get into a pissing contest of movie watching with anyone, I don't claim to or even want to see some of the "underground" movie releases that people talk about on here. I admit that I stay on the mainstream of movie watching.

It's interesting to see that because I am 25 and haven't seen many movies from the early 1900's that my opinions are invalid.

Top 10 (since 1995):

1. Vanilla Sky
2. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
3. The Usual Suspects
4. L.A. Confidential
5. Fight Club
6. Moulin Rouge
7. Good Will Hunting
8. Glengary GlenRoss
9. The Matrix
10. Resevoir Dogs

Geremia P.

Stunt Coordinator
Are art-houses considered "underground" or are you talking about something else?... because most of the movies I see at the local Landmark Theaters are pretty mainstream.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Bobby, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I was trying to see what kind of movies you were seeing.

But here's the part where I'll suggest that reviews can help you seek out the best of the art house circuit. You say you don't want to see independent films -- is that merely because they don't have large budgets, or what?

Jason Co

Second Unit
Wow. this is one of the more entertaining threads I have read in a while. I have noticed that threads using the words "never", "best", "worst", and "always" seem to bring out the most passionate results. There have been some very entertaining quotes in this thread. to name a few:

Good stuff man. Some of you guys really know how to make a point and I appreciate it.

I am definitely jealous of the job of a movie critic. How many of us would actually love getting payed to offer your opinion of movies? Opinion is the key word here. I have often said one of the best jobs in the world is that of a Consultant. How can you be wrong? You are getting payed to give your opinion. take it or leave it...it is my professional opinion.

I know Bobby personally and I appreciate his passion for movies. As a matter of fact I enjoy discussing movies with him and razz him because he always seems to enjoy almost every movie he sees (except Blair Witch). In my opinion, (putting on my consulting hat here) I enjoy reading movie reviews. I don't have a certain "critic" or reviewer that I read all the time. Actually, the HTF is where I spend most of my time reading reviews. If I am going to spend money on going to the theater I am going to do my damnedest to make sure it's something I will thouroghly enjoy. If I get a feeling that most of the reviews are negative, I may still see the movie....only I will watch it at home. A few examples are AVP, Blade Trinity and Troy. I found them all entertaining but I am glad I didn't spend money to see them at the theater (jury is still out on Blade Trinity).

Without reviews as well as recommendations I would have never seen Citizen Kane or Casablanca. I would say that movie reviews bring my attention to movies that I would not normally see as opposed to movies I wouldn't see.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Not invalid, sir, but definitely blinkered.

We openly encourage you to share in the great soup-pot of film history, to find work that you delight in. Directors whom you'll share a common thread of empathy, actors who are dependable, genres that particularly lend themselves to great storytelling. And also, to not merely stay on top of the mainstream, but to delve into the embarrasment of riches that is niche and lower-profile movies.

We'd love to know how you get on.

And with that, I'm off to see Vanilla Sky for the first time. (it's been on my stack of shame for a good while)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
As someone mentioned earlier, I don't ever read reviews before seeing a movie, for fear of spoilers. I do look at the Rottentomatoes score, perhaps Ebert's rating or the rating in my local paper. After that, it really is a gut-feeling based on buzz from friends/family/general public, writer or director (almost never the star), and the kind of movies that I like or am in the mood for.

After watching a movie, especially something thought provoking, I enjoy reading Ebert's take or other linked into rottentomatoes, just to see how the movie affected them.

Just to keep it a movie thread, here are some of my favorites by genre from the past 10 years:
Comedy: Bring It On, Best In Show, High Fidelity, Swingers, School of Rock, Heathers, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Election, Tao of Steve, Napoleon Dynamite, Being John Malkovich
Drama/Foreign: Fargo, Boogie Nights, Billy Elliot, Read My Lips, City of God, Mario Full of Grace, Children of Heaven, In the Company of Men, Happiness, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Y Tu Mama Tambien

Looking at my list, I would say most of them would be considered small budget or independent films.

Bobby*K

Grip
When I first started this thread I had debated on whether or not to even do it. Needless to say I am quite happy I did. These responsed have turned into a very entertaining discussion and it has opened my eyes a bit. I am pretty stubborn when it comes to my opinions, but I must say I am a bit out of my league when it comes to this conversation.

I stick by my feelings on reading the movie reviews after seeing a mainstream theater movie, but I am definately going to change my ways when it comes to smaller market independent films. Can I get some people's Top 5 smaller market films?

Jason Co was right when he said I tend to "like" most movies I've seen. I am a tough guy to get an opinion from because most of the time it is going to be positive.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
There's nothing wrong with enjoying all movies. Going to the movies is a ton of fun.

A top five indy list is going to cause huge arguments, I predict. Lemme ruminate a bit and I'll give you a list of Five Movies Out Of The Mainstream That I Loved.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's still free movies. And, afterward, you get to rip the filmmakers a new one.

Truly, the one-star reviews are often more fun to write than the four-star ones.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Interesting thread. Some of us may take little or no stock in reviews, but we all "screen" by some method, or we'd see everything. I find value in reviews; it's helped me decide to see lots of films I wouldn't have been interested in otherwise.

Here's 10 indie/non-mainstream (but mostly recent) films I love:
Lone Star
Cinema Paradiso
Out of Sight
Usual Suspects
Fargo
Lost in Translation
Pulp Fiction
Secrets & Lies
Before Sunset
Being John Malkovich

Here are 10 of my top "classics" (older movies in my DVD collection):
Vertigo
Singin' in the Rain
Lawrence of Arabia
North by Northwest
Bridge on the River Kwai
Casablanca
Philadelphia Story
Maltese Falcon
The Third Man
Gone with the Wind

I'd be curious to see how many of these 20 you've seen, Bobby*K, just to get handle on how "mainstream" and modern your viewing thus far has been.

Bobby*K

Grip

I have seen:

Out of Sight (very good)
Fargo (alright)
The Usual Suspects (excellent)
Lost In Translation (alright)
Pulp Fiction (excellent)
Being John Malkovich (good)
Casablanca (excellent)
Gone With The Wind (alright)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Haven't made my list yet, but for old movies I highly recommend The Sea Hawk starring Errol Flynn. Easily the best action picture I've ever seen, and once you see it a bunch of gags in The Princess Bride are much funnier.

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who liked Out Of Sight! A personal fave, that one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The problem with movie reviewing isn't writing up the great or the terrible flicks - it's writing up all the ones in the middle. Lord, can it get tedious when you have to chat about some mediocre piece of nothing. Yeah, it can be fun to tear up some trashy flick, but those aren't all that common. Mostly I'm stuck with average stuff - not terrible, but not special...

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Bobby*K - Now that you're showing a unique taste, perhaps you can articulate to yourself and others just why you like certain films, and not others. Once you can do that, you'll be able to discern between films that you'll probably get something out of, and those that'll just waste your time, by being neither good nor especially interesting. Also, if you can do this, you'll also be able to give your opinion accurately as to why you do or do not care for a particular movie.

Film critics serve this purpose, by telling you more than just marketing hyperbole, and when you find one that you can either agree with occasionally, or see things that they do. I usually use certain reviewers at HTF, Ebert's website, RottenTomatoes and my friends who also enjoy discussing film for opinions.

You say that you tend to have a good time at the movies either way? Becoming a discerning viewer is a challenge, but it's highly rewarding when you can find a film that you love, and unlock it's intricate and brilliant secrets, the manner in which it makes it's mark with you.

I don't find myself being terribly passive when watching a good film. I find they involve me personally for the running length, and if the film is especially good, it'll occupy my thoughts for a good while after, too.

(on a sidenote : Vanilla Sky was a nice looking film, with a pleasantly ironic setup and payoff. I'll have a look at the original Spanish version next, Open Your Eyes. With respect to director Cameron Crowe, I greatly prefer his film : Almost Famous.)

It's all good, you understand, keep watching the movies, and enjoy them.

I'm guilty of trashing some average flick, just because I want to cleanse myself of the experience of being (un)involved in it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

More fun to read, too. I once started a thread about that.

And yes, the mediocrity is worse. With all the great films out there, it feels like waste of time to get involved with something that's "alright."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Love that film even more than Mutiny on the Bounty.

That entire "Gangster" set that was just released is great, every film is entertaining and well-made. Some of the greatest endings and/or last lines by characters you'll ever see...like Public Enemy's ending. They just don't make endings like that too often anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks