What's new

Movie reels table (1 Viewer)

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Hi guys,

I am putting the final touch to my home theater (I should post pictures very soon..)

I remeber that somebody showed up a table he had made using movie reels.

Here is a good exemple:

I would like to do the same but cannot seem to find a place that sell cheap reels...

So far I only got this site http://gotreels.com, but the shipping cost to Canada are expensive !!!

Any ideas where else I could find those ? I would also enjoy any links you may have to similar table, be it DIY or else..

Thanks !

Richard

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Hi Trace,

Thanks for the reply.

I already seach on eBay, and most of the cheap one advertised there are by gotreels, and it would cost me about 50 $ of shipping !!! A bit too expensive..:frowning:

Thanks anyway !

Richard

Chris Tipton

Auditioning
Richard,
I made one of those tables last month! What I did was bid on an authentic Goldberg reel on ebay ( I could of got one cheaper but why not get a 1950's reel and a conversation piece), then I went to home depot for the remaining supplies. The materials are as follows:
1st. 2 of home depots precut rounds wood pieces one bigger than the other for the base, paint them with liquid silver spray paint.
2nd. I bought 4 wooden dowels (2ft each) and painted them silver and put them into the wood (after I drilled 4 holes)
3rd. I bought 4 copper conectors in the copper tubing dept to connect the dowels and the reel.
And finally put a glass top on, that I bought from michaels craft store. The whole thing cost about $100 and looks great! You could go cheaper by getting a cheaper reel but the Goldberg reels are the best looking and you have some history with it.
Hope you understand my directions and I hope that helped out.
Chris

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Hi Chris,

Wow, do you have any photos of your project ?

I finally got somebody to sell me 4 reels... I cannot wait to receive them to work on this thing !

I plan to use 1 reel for the top and 1 for the base... hopefully it will be solid enough !

Thanks for the tips !

Richard

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
Richard,
I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I have seen these for sale for $485 on the net (Same place you got the pic I bet). I thought I could do it much cheaper. I found the reels I wanted (those in the Pic) were made by that Goldberg company in CO. I asked them what it would cost for me to get 15" reels from them and they said $88.35 EACH , PLUS FREIGHT. OUCH! I saw your link and it listed Goldberg reels for 12, 17, 24, and 29 each. I don't know what was up with that but thanks for the link. I always thought it would be cheaper from the manufacture. Guess I was wrong. Are you guys using 15" reels? GotReels shows them by the FOOT (1000, 2000) I don't know how big of a reel that is. Can you help? Good luck on your project. Post pic's when you get it/them done.

Chris,

I think your the one who posted pictures of your project that got me interested in this. I was wondering how you did it. Thanks. Great Job by the way... :)

Jeff S.

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Jeff,

I will be using used 2300ft steel Goldberg reels the diameter of those is 14 1/4 inch. I ordered them from this site:

http://www.urbanskifilm.com

I cannot wait to receive them and startup on this project !

I'll make sure to post a couple of pictures when it is done.

Richard

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Chris - I'd love to see the pics as well.

You need to host the pics on a website somewhere, and link us to them. If you don't have a place to host them online, you want to email them to me ([email protected]). I can put them on my web space.

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Good news,

I just receive the reels ! Awesome !

It came up to 125.91 $ Cad, so about 22 $ per reels US$, not bad !

Because I am in Canada, I had to pay those %^&*% taxes and Customs fees :angry:

For those of you in the US, you can get some of those Goldberg reels for around 10 $ plus shipping at this site:

http://www.urbanskifilm.com

Next step: assembling the tables.

Chris: Can you described what you used to hold the reels and the dowels ?

I am also thinking of using copper tubbing instead of wood and apply some kind of metal spray paint (probably silver or gold) on the finished product. Do any of you know if this would be a good idea ? Any recommendations ?

I will keep you posted on the project...

Chris Tipton

Auditioning
For the table as I said before I used 2 seprate wood pieces for the base, next I drilled 4 holes in the wood pieces for the 4 WOODEN dowels, I used wood glue and put a wood screw from the bottom to hold each extra tight. Next I found connectors that you use for copper tubing one side of the conector was a female an opening just large enough for the dowel to fit in and the other side was male just large enough to fit through the openings of the movie reel. Set the reel on top and it just sits there, put a glass top on and you are set!!!! NOTE: you may want to soder or weld the copper conector to the movie reel as it is not very stable if it will be handled alot.

The paint: use a white primer (kills) on the wood 1st this is important!!! Next I used is Rust-Oleum bright coat metallic finish, its a plain white can with a shiny silver top, if you want a shiny metal finish then this is the one to use, I tryed others but they were like a dull silver color, this is the only one to give me that finsh, also use a spray polyurathane to coat it afterwards as the silver will come off in your hands whens it dry, its a weird thing silver and gold metallic paints do. I emailed my pics to jared and he said he would post them for me. let me know what you think, ok.
Chris

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Wow, great job Chris!

I just came back from Home depot where I bought the cupper tubing and the connector...

Moving forward.. ;)

Anthony_Fros

Agent
Would threaded rods work as well? Looks as if that would be an option, too. Bolt them inside the reels and hit it all with a coat of paint.

Chris Tipton

Auditioning
THANK YOU JARED for posting these for me...
I am glad you guys like them. Richard are you still going to use 2 reels?
I orginally bought 2 reels but found that with a semi plain base the attention would be on the top. Also I couldnt figure out how to do it the other way. I also dont think that the reels make a good base. When you figure it out let me know.
Chris:b :D :D

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Chris,

I am still planning to use 2 reels per table. But your setup really made me think about the solidity of the final result... I will try first with 2 reels and see how solid I can make it.

I will keep you posted

Chris Tipton

Auditioning
Well Richard? How are things? Did we complete the table yet?;) Or are you looking like this:angry: tring to figure it out? Let us know.......Chris

Richard Savage

Auditioning
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy recently.

Here a couple of pictures of the Beta version.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/richard_sav...3-0371_IMG.JPG
http://www3.sympatico.ca/richard_sav...3-0367_IMG.JPG
http://www3.sympatico.ca/richard_sav...3-0368_IMG.JPG
http://www3.sympatico.ca/richard_sav...3-0369_IMG.JPG
http://www3.sympatico.ca/richard_sav...3-0370_IMG.JPG

As you can see, it is not yet painted. I also "secured" the reels on the tubbing using hot glue. If this doesn't do the trick I may solder them. So far it seem to be enough for the usage I planned for them (Holding the remote and a cold beer) :)

With this, our HT room is almost ready. I will try to find some time this weekend to post a few pictures.

Remaining to be done: an ottoman (to be used as a foot rest/serving table/place to store stuff), finishing the light fixtures and a large bean bag !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks