What's new

movie poster frames? (1 Viewer)

Mike G

Stunt Coordinator
Glenise, those are sweet! I never really considered plak mounting but I love that look.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I love the way the posters look too!

Too bad that company isn't located in Atlanta.

I guess I'll to find one that can frame just like that company in NY.

The plak mounting makes the posters look almost good to eat.

I wouldn't even select those particular posters, but !@#$ plak mounting does look sweet.

Definetely looks more professional in my opinion.

I'm frugal but I would pay $35 - $40 per poster with no problem if they look like that!

Tom Moran

Agent
The easiest stuff to use for mounting is

Crescent Perfect Mount Self-Adhesive Mounting Board

When it comes to mat board you could check and see if there is a Dick Blick store in your area and have them cut it for you or if you are handy and want to do more than one poster by a good mat cutter and the board and cut it yourself.

With these two products you are looking at about $20 in materials per poster, more in labor if you have the mat cut, but still a great value IMO.

If there is not a Dick Blick in your area go to a frame shop and see what they will charge to cut you a mat to fit your poster.

Tom

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I just emailed Dick Blick and asked them if they could do plak mounting for me.

There are two Dick Blick's near Atlanta.

Thanks!

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Update (plak mounting)
I just called several places in Atlanta.
Two places quoted $87 and another one $101.
#$%^
I called Dick Blick and they don't do plak mounting.
:frowning:
I have called framing places, art places, trophy places and kinkos in Atlanta.
Seems like no one in Atlanta does plak mounting or the prices are too high.
I called www.plakit.com in Florida and asked if they had a location in Atlanta.
They said no.
They said that "plak mounting" is popular up north.

WAIT! Don't buy anything until you check www.graphikdimensions.com I got all of my metal frames (if that is all you want)for very reasonable prices. I will be happy to send you some photos of my frames from my theater. I collect movie posters and I prefer the frames from graphik dimensions.
Hope this helps.
Scott

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I been to this website under the name http://www.pictureframes.com but was unable to locate ready made 27x40 aluminum poster frames.
Please poster pictures of your frames.
Thanks!
Update!
I went back to the website and put in a size of 27x40.
Their prices seem better than www.frameusa.com.
I think after seeing plak mounting that I'm going to have to go with that method.
I just wish Atlanta was more hip and that they offered plak mounting for $35 - $40 or that there was a www.plak-it.com located here.

Russ Stark

Auditioning
I am having trouble locating the 27 x 40 frames at www.pictureframes.com what model #('s) are the movie poster size frames?

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Russ,
I had the same problem locating 27x40 frames from www.pictureframes.com
You have to manually enter the width of 27" and length of 40" on a webpage then pick style 888 or 777.
Kinda confusing I think.
It give you a price of about $20 something.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Tom,

It will be a while before posters are displayed in my basement.

I was looking at Dick Blick's website a few mins ago.

Here is a partial quote from their website about crescent perfect mount self-adhesive mounting board:

"An acid-free mounting board that carries a pH neutral, pressure-activated adhesive. It permits easy positioning and repositioning until firm pressure is applied with a burnisher or press, forming a permanent bond.

A perfect choice for adhesive-resistant items such as photographs, varnished posters, prints on gloss paper and laminated items. Easy to use; no sprays or wet pastes to deal with."

Would Dick Blick be able to mount my posters with the crescent perfect mount self-adhesive mounting board and by using a burnisher or press?

Also, would they be able to put some kind of non-glare laminate on the poster?

Last question, how would I hang the poster after it's been mounted with the crescent perfect mount and some kind of non-glare laminate has been used?

Thanks!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I have a quick poster question. I have a Fellowship of the Ring poster (the Argonath one) which I assumed was 27x40, since that's what all the movie posters I've ever seen are. So I got a 27x40 frame for Christmas, but the poster is too SMALL! (it's a bit under 27" wide, and only 38.5" long)... My sister, who bought the poster for me, ordered it from some place in Canada for some reason, so I'm wondering if the reason it's a bit to small is because it's metric?
I've thought up a few options to fix this...
1. Get the frame cut at a local frame shop
2. Frame the poster as is and fill in with some black paper (this might look tacky)
3. Buy a new Fellowship poster from a place in the US and sell this one on ebay
4. Buy a Two Towers Poster, frame that, then order a slightly smaller frame for the Fellowship poster when I have a bit more $$
Any other creative ideas?
edit: I decided to go with option 4... I called the frame shop and they wont cut it unless it's a brand they sell... and I'm guessing even if it was a brand they sell, they'd charge a bit for it. Selling it on ebay wouldn't gain me much. I wanted that Saruman TTT poster anyway, so now I already have a frame for it :) I'll just order a slightly smaller frame at some point for the Fellowship poster.
Brian

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
The problem with ready made frames is twofold:
1) Most movie posters aren't a perfect 27x40" and
2) Posters are spray mounted to matboard before they are framed (unless you want unwanted rifts and waves).
Solution?
a) Spend $80-100 for custom framing like I did or
b) spray (dry) mount them yourself which I also do. I prefer using foamcore to mount posters.
Supplies: spray adhesive (e.g. 3M Super Spray 77, 16.5 oz.), a brayer or roller, straight edge, x-acto knife, foamcore.
DIRECTIONS:
1) unroll poster onto newspaper so that back side is facing up
2) Spray conservative amounts of adhesive onto poster.
3) Transfer poster to foamcore and **carefully** place bottom of poster on bottom of foamcore (you may wanna ask someone to help)
4) Take brayer a slowly roll the poster onto the foamcore using short up and down motions
softbrayer.jpg

5) Finish rolling the poster corner to corner, let dry for a few minutes
6) Place straight edge on the inside of the poster and use a sharp blade to cut. Cut in one direction (toward you). Make sure you don't dig real deep on the first cut. Instead, make 5-10 careful cuts until the excess piece comes of naturally.
7) admire your work of art!
NOTE:
You may have to cut off some of your poster if it's too long. e.g. you may have bought 30x40" foamcore and your poster is 40.25" long. Cut off excess poster AFTER mounting it. I've seen 40x60" foamcore thus making this a non-issue.
COST of supplies:
$40 for brayer, glue, and knife...straight-edge extra
$5 per sheet of foamcore (unless bought in bulk)
Cost to mount 1 poster: $45
Cost to mount 2 posters: $25
Cost to mount 5 posters: $13
Cost to mount 10 posters: $9
I think just a simple spray mount looks better than the standard 1" metal frame...no glare, smooth looks, lotsa compliments. 3/16" foamcore is typical, but dickblick also sells ½" foamcore. The only down side is that long-term protection from the elements is non-existent.

Tom Moran

Agent
Hi Glenise,

With regards to your questions:

"Would Dick Blick be able to mount my posters with the crescent perfect mount self-adhesive mounting board and by using a burnisher or press? "

Some Bilck shops have mounting services and some don't. You should call your local one to see if they do mounting and if not consider doing it yourself or finding another local frame shop that does mounting with this or a similar material.

"Also, would they be able to put some kind of non-glare laminate on the poster? "

If you are going to laminate don't bother using archival methods for other aspects of your framing/mounting. In other words, lamination is not an archival process so you would be wasting your time/money doing other parts of the job with a view towards archival preservation.

Last question, how would I hang the poster after it's been mounted with the crescent perfect mount and some kind of non-glare laminate has been used?

If you are going to laminate I would use the method Brian describes here to mount the poster to foam core or have it mounted to foam core by a local framing/graphics arts shop. Note: If there is a professional/commercial photo lab in your area that does display prints they may well be able to mount your poster to foam core much cheaper than a frame shop will so shop around if this is the route you decide to go.

Hanging Foam core is simple process because the material is so light. Just put a pre made hook into the foam core backing and a nail in the wall.

Keep in mind however that this does approach does not live up to the ideals of archival preservation of the poster that I described in my earlier post. There is really no alternative to the "archival mount, archival mat around the sides and frame behind UV glass", approach that is the standard in the fine art world.

Tom

I've got some authentic, still-in-the-theater poster boxes from a theater that is going to be demo'ed here in winston-Salem, NC. Images at www.wfubmc.edu/compumed/theater.html. I also have theater chairs and other stuff available. I'm going to try to sell to "local" people first (local being those willing to come pick them up!)
If you want to see them, we could do it tomorrow (Saturday, Jan 4). I'm going to be at the theater from about 10 to 2 working and could show you the chairs. You can buy them at that time if you want.
The theater is the one that closed two years ago at Hanes Mall (west side of Winston-Salem near the merging of Business 40 and Interstate 40). It's on the north side of the mall parking lot (towards Stratford Road across from Belks). Please let me know if you will be there tomorrow, but you can just show up during those times. Other stuff will be available at that time including poster boxes, exit signs, etc. - all in original, authentic theater condition!
Some other goods like the screens, acoustic panels, wall sconces, etc. may take a bit longer to de-install. Bring friends that want to buy stuff, too. Bring a truck or van if you want to take your chairs home then!
-Scott

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just remember that any kind of dry-mounting, "plak" mounting and spray adhesives will devalue the poster to practically nothing. Linen-backing is the only accepted way to preserve the value of a mounted poster. Obviously, if these posters are only for your own display and you have no reason to ever think you'd want to sell them, then this should be no concern to you.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I for one am not particularly worried about "devaluing" the poster. The posters are for my own enjoyment only, and cna not imagine any reason why I would want to sell them....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks