What's new

Movie never released on any home video format (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry did indeed make a very early Magnetic Video appearance, never to be seen again.
The Panic in Needle Park also was released on Magnetic Video and never showed up again on VHS. However, it was released as a full frame Fox laserdisc in the early 90s. Still quite hard to find.
-Jon

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE STORY OF THREE LOVES (1953)--Kirk Douglas, Leslie Caron, James Mason, Ethel Barrymore, Ricky Nelson, Zsa Zsa Gabor, etc.
THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA (!951)--Spencer Tracy
COME FILL THE CUP (1951)--Terrific and forgotten performances by JamesCagney and Gig Young as drunks.
THE MAGIC BOX (1952)--all-star British movie with Robert Donat as William Friese-Greene, "the forgotten inventor of movies."
THEY WON'T FORGET (1937)--terrific thriler based on a true case. Lana Turner's first film.
THE RACK (1956)--Walter Pidgeon and Paul Newman as his son brainwashed during te Korean War. Based on a Rod Serling teleplay.
THE BLACK HAND (1950) with Gene Kelly as an Italian immigrant in a turn-of-the-century Mafioso melodrama.

Warner Brothers has an enormous catalg. A couple of years ago, they received deserved criticism for introducing a low-budget group of non-letterboxed, "no frills" catalog titles from the last 10 years (e.g., FEARLESS). It would be great if they could produce good, interesting movies (e.g., STORM WARNING, THE STORY OF MANKIND, THE IRON PETTICOAT, ITS A WONDERFUL WORLD (1939)--Stewart & Colbert) that are not governed by these issues. Perhaps, generating their own dvd club a la Columbia House.

Just a suggestion.

Mike Deatz

Auditioning
THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS 1960 Warner Bros.
WON TON TON, THE DOG WHO SAVED HOLLYWOOD 1976 Paramount
W.C. FIELDS AND ME 1976 Paramount

Kain_C

Screenwriter
The Day the Clown Cried (1972) - Jerry Lewis, Harriet Andersson, Anton Diffring. D:Jerry Lewis. Helmut Doork, a once great and famous clown, is fired from the circus. Getting drunk at a local bar, he pokes fun at Hitler in front of some Gestapo agents, who arrest and send him to a prison camp. Helmut angers his fellow prisoners by refusing to perform for them, wanting to preserve his legend. As times passes, Jews are brought into the camp, with fraternizing between them and the other prisoners strictly prohibited. Eventually, Helmut is forced by the others to perform or be beaten. His act bombs and he leaves the barracks depressed, trying the routine out again alone in the prison yard. He hears laughter and sees a group of Jewish children watching him through a fence. Happy to be appreciated again, he makes a makeshift clown suit and begins to regularly perform. His audience grows, but a new prison Commandant orders Helmut to stop. When he refuses and continues to perform, he's beaten and thrown in solitary confinement. But the Nazis soon come up with a use for Helmut, keeping the children quiet as they are loaded into a boxcar to be sent to another camp. Helmut complies, but is accidentally locked in with the children and arrives the next day at Auschwitz.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
"High Wind in Jamaica" has been recently announced by Fox.
I'd love to see "What A Way to Go" released! Great cast - Shirley MacLaine, Paul Newman, Gene Kelly, Robert Mitchum, Dick Van Dyke, Robert Cummings.

"Bunny Lake is Missing" would be great too. Columbia/ Sony are you reading? Ken

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone mention Ross Hunter's Lost Horizon (1973) with Peter Finch and Liv Ullman?

What A Way To Go! is long over due!

Charles H

Screenwriter
LOST HORIZON (1973) came out on LD in an extended RoadShow version. If MYRA BRECKINRIDGE and Fritz Lang's LILIOM (1934) can come out on dvd, anything is possible.

BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING, HURRY SUNDOWN, SKIDOO, TELL ME YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON, and SUCH GOOD FRIENDS in mandatory wide-screen for Preminger completists would all make terrific dvds.

Philip Swan

Auditioning
PORGY AND BESS never made it to VHS and hasn't even been televised in decades - I think I read somewhere that the Gershwin family hated the movie and either bought it back from Goldwyn or have somehow successfully managed to keep it out of circulation.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
DESTINATION UNKNOWN (Universal, 1933)
Stars Pat O'Brien, Ralph Bellamy, and Alan Hale.

Can't find this film on either market for the life of me.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Page, LORD LOVE A DUCK made it onto DVD (MGM) last December. Good transfer, wild movie.

And just a reminder that BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN, which I'd like to see on DVD, is a Ken Russell picture.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I am going to see Bigger Than Life tomorrow at an arthouse. I have never seen this film and I a massive fan of Nicolas Ray and of James Mason, so I am totally stoked. The print seems to making the rounds in Britain, so keep 'em peeled, movie fans!
The Day the Clown Cried (1972, Jerry Lewis) sounds like the heaviest downer movie of all time - is it? Who owns the rights?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks