What's new

Movie everyone loved but you hated? (1 Viewer)

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Barbarian Invasion.

I don't exactly HATE it but I just don't get it what's the rave about this movie. It's dull, quite emotionless and definitely too talkative without any real dramatic undercurrents. Boring!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
From what I've read about Moulin Rouge the big problem with that film is the first 20 minutes, which really drags the film down (pun not intended). But after that 20 minutes, the movie becomes a wonderful, frentic experience.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I would love to explain to so many of you why you are wrong ;), but...
I personally hated Pearl Harbor and never made it through Saving Private Ryan (in fact it's sitting ten feet from me and I won't watch it.)
I saw Pearl Harbor at the movie theater. What BS.
This is such a samodcastotistac? thread.

*Bonus pt (only one b/c it's easy) to the one who deciphers the last line.

Yee-ming won.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
American Beauty for me - I don't know, I just don't get it. Lester Burnham smokes cannabis and quits his job, and thus experiences life to the full? It sweemed to be trying to tell me something, but I don't know what. I don't know, I just couldn't get it. It seemed to just be trying to go over the same ground Ice Storm covered, but in a much less compelling menner.

Also, There's Something About Mary - Partly because of the obvious stuff (prom night, the hair gel), partly because of other elements that offended me (the treatment of the handicapped, the serial killer stuff). But mostly because the film is about a woman being stalked by a bunch of guys. One guy terrorised her so much she changed her identity to hide from him. At the end of the film, she encounters this guy again, along with everyone else that's stalking her, and she's terrified out of her mind. And I'm supposed to find this funny? And then she chooses Ben Stiller, just because he's the least creepy of all the creepy people she knows. That s the only film I can think of that really genuinely makes me angry - I have had many a yelled argument with my friends over that film.

Although American Splendor does have cartoon characters.

JasonRH

Second Unit
The Thin Red Line
Blair Witch Project

Those 2 immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are plenty more.:D

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
For me it's the following:

Moulin Rouge - If you're looking for a headache just watch this so called masterpiece. The quick camera movements, the bad acting and the joing of some good songs into crappy one song is just a pain to watch. Luckily this thing didn't win Best Picture as Roger Ebert was hoping for.

Big Fish - Just don't get the raves for this thing.

English Patient - A long snooze fest. Who wants to watch some sick bandaged up guy falling in love.

The Cat in the Hat - Probably not universally loved, but when the kid in the trailer says something like "I think were in trouble now" thats what I though as well.

My Left Foot - Another one with way over the top acting.

And probably the one that will get the most bashings from those that loved it, but for me it's The Passion of the Christ - Can't stand watching somebody beat-up to a bloody pulp for 2 hours. No thanks. I don't care how much money this thing makes, I have absolutely no desire to see it, even when it's free on TV.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
There's quite a few I didn't like as much as others did. But I only have one where, like you, I desparately wanted to leave the movie; but being with a group of friends was forced to stay and fight the urge to plug my ears with popcorn -- Spaceballs.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there was one movie I had borrowed that I could not sit through...Fast and the Furious. I ejected the disc 45 minutes in. I just could not take it anymore.

Worst. Movie. Ever. And people liked this piece of junk? :eek:

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
(/polite)
I think this thread might be getting a bad rep, I dont think that the POS or hated post are really saying that the movie has no redeeming factors or points of merit but rather emphasizing their point with a strong word or two. Hate according to the dictionary means extreme dislike, etc. Some of the movies I have mentioned definitely fit into that category. I think the initial intent was to just give your opinion of a movie that you did'nt find enjoyable as everyone else seemed to. A movie that everyone raved over and you were like, "mah whatever". I agree that many of these films are some of the greatest ever made and would never be clarified as a POS. (Although I will say that MI-2 is a mess in my opinion) But these are not full reviews either and in no way reflect the movie itself, people are just giving their three word response to a movie that they saw and have their own opinion. In my opinion I thought MI-2 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, but hey im only one person and literally millions of people disagree with me ($215 million at the box office) He did something right aparently, I just didnt see what it was. I could give 500 words on why I "hated" this movie and thought it was a "POS" to make my hate and POS shouts a little more clear but it would not fit into this catgeory. I think this thread is really here to make people say "wow he didnt like that movie, I loved it" and not take the post to literal. Its all in good fun. :D :D

Now back to the original post:

DeerHunter Bored to tears again. :D (Walken was great though)
Bringing Down The House

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
These 3 are always at the top of my "I can't believe so many people like these" list:

Braveheart - a history lesson for those who hate history (and characters with more than one dimension)

Clerks - too amateurish and badly directed for me and I just didn't find it funny

Forrest Gump - Being dumb and oblivious to the what's going on in the world does not a hero make.

chris winters

Second Unit
There are a lot of Forest Gump haters it seems. I know the critisism that he is not a hero simply by existing, and being dumb, and consistently in the right place at the right time. That is all just plot devises and I think misses the point. Gump is a hero DESPITE being dumb.Its his heart that makes him a hero, and not his intelligence. He is put within all of these different historical set pieces and environamnets, and no matter what, keeps his moral compass intact. This despite being the dumbest man in the room. That is the point of the film. I know liberals tend to hate the movie, perhaps becuase it bashes much of the counter culture movement(hippies) in Jenny and her boyfriends, and perhaps becuase it treats much of american history as inevitable rather then monstrous policy decisions, but I dont see it this way at all. I see it as a modern day fairy tale, set against a modern american historical backdrop, about a simple man who follows his heart, and conscience no matter where fate puts him. Yes its simplified, and unrealistic, but thats kinda the point and style of the film. Plus its very well acted and executed in my oppinon.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Couldnt stand the thin red line. UGH. Also, walked out of donnie brasco, and almost did the same with the saint.. I would have walked out of Michael but it was my friends b-day.. otherwise i wouldve bolted... my question is... whats with all the patch adams hate? I loved that movie.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there are a lot of Gump haters here. Personally, it's one of my favorite films of all time. I see the movie as a folk talk/modern-day American myth.

Gump's obliviousness wasn't all that bad. For starters, he's basically unaware of the Civil Rights struggle, but he's also unaware of the sociopolitical entanglements involved with race. He doesn't see a black or white person. He sees just another person. The Governor Wallace scene was a prime example. He's not even aware of the rascist and demeaning lanuage of "coon". But what does he know? A woman drops her book, and he politely returns it to her.

To answer the original question, I'll limit myself to the S&S crowd. Trois Colours: Bleu irritates the hell out of me.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Oh, good call on Beauty and the Beast (assuming we're talking about the Disney animated version). I remember liking it as a kid, bought the 2-disc SE and immediately Ebay'd it after watching it. By far the worst Disney animated movie ever :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: HATE that movie!!!

ShawnC

Agent
My movie to add to this list is Return of the King. Hate is a strong term though. I still liked Return of the King (I even own it), but the Best Picture oscar doesn't make it the best of the trilogy. The deletion of Saruman (even if he's in the extended dvd) is inexcuseable to me. Saruman is the main leader of evil in LOTR(at least in corporeal form anyway),and his death deserves screen time in the theatrical cut, imho.
For that reason, and the constant "greatest movie ever!" tag everyone seems to give it, it is my least favorite of the three. I don't hate the movie, but compared to the others (esp. Fellowship, my favorite of the three)I am growing to dislike Return of the King more and more. I can also add Forest Gump to my list simply because it took the Best Picture oscar from the far superior, in my opinion, Pulp Fiction.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Event Horizion - It seems like everyone I talk to likes this movie and thinks it's "One of the scariest movies ever", while I thought it was boring and predictable.

Resident Evil - couldn't even make it through the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks