What's new

Movie Endings you hate and why (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Which movie endings do you feel totally spoil the movie as a whole and make it crap? Or endings that don't make sense or just plain suck? Like when you are loving a movie and saying to yourself that you're going to buy it but then the ending scene ruins it. Remember to use spoiler tags please.

~Kevin

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Here's one--and we won't need a "spoiler" tag, either(!):
Spielberg's A.I.. I thought it a relatively good (though not great) film with some breathtakingly realistic special effects. But, alas, it went on too long and---oila!---featured a typical "Spielberg touch": "And he lived happily ever after."
(Sigh.)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I can think of one: The Ninth Gate. It had EVERYTHING going for it: Drama, suspense, acting. Then all of a sudden it dropped down into an ending that made me go "WTF?!" The ending was very weak for an otherwise good movie. I'm glad I only rented it.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
The Lost World: JP2.

It should really have ended when they left the island, the Godzilla ripoff was totally unnecessary.

Alien: Resurrection

What went wrong, why did they create an alien that was totally pathetic and not scary at all?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Vanilla Sky, I would have really liked this ending if it wasn't for the fact that they had to spell out every little detail for us. Whats wrong with a little thinking for ourselves. If it wasn't for that I would have thought it was a top ending.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
But, alas, it went on too long and---oila!---featured a typical "Spielberg touch": "And he lived happily ever after."
Actually that was the ending that Kubrick himself wanted, not Spielberg.

As far as crappy endings go......

Snake Eyes is the worst for me. I was really into the film until about the last 20 minutes and it fell apart. Which in turn ruined the entire film for me.

-Dean-

Dave White

Auditioning
Anyone see a little flick called Pay It Forward? :angry: :thumbsdown:
At the time that I first saw it in the theater the abruptness of The Empire Strikes Back's ending really bugged me, but not so much anymore -- probably because I now know what happens next! :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
A lot of Gene Kelly musicals are good until the end when he ruins them with an overlong, boring ballet takeoff. This is especially true of Singin' in the Rain which I don't buy only because I can't stand the ending.

The Wizard of Oz also has a dumb ending (although I still watch it), completely missing the point of the book (it wasn't a dream).

Suspicion has a horrible ending only in that Hitchcock wasn't allowed to film the one he wanted which would have been great Cary Grant is a murderer and after poisoning his wife he goes ahead a drops a letter of hers in the mail that he'd said he would, in which she exposes him as a killer

As much as I love Monty Python & the Holy Grail, I think the ending is really weak, and would have much rather had some sort of 10th century resolution.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Mission to Mars ... In my opinion one of the worst movies that I've ever seen. Stupid, just stupid.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I have to say :thumbsdown:Shrek:thumbsdown: because After all the orginal stuff it had eariler in the movie, all of sudden the girl turns out to be cursed as a orge and only be cured with a kiss and turns out to be a orge, lame. And to make this even worstccool prince get a generic "death" of being eaten by the lame dragon(I say death like that, since the longer ending has him still alive glady). Could they have think of something different instead of just taking Captain Hook "death" from Peter Pan.
And for that reason, I can't stand this movie anymore(plus the stupid mass ads for it). Because this movie doesn't have a center of a onion, it smell like a onion instead ;). Of course there worst movies out there, but this take the cake. And I thought Sphere was bad, sheesh. To quote Dennis Miller, "That is my opinion and I could be wrong".

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Strange Days always bugged the crap out of me. You have a good movie with a neat premise that turns into any other straight to rental movie. I enjoy the movie and performances, but just wish it would have ended better.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of bad to average movies with bad endings so I won't go over them.
The films that stick in my mind that have an ending that I don't care for would be:
Red River
Without going into spoilers I'll just state that the confrontation at the end was a copout.
I still love the film though.
Jurassic Park

The silly T-Rex saves the day ending

As for the Holy Grail ending. I agree that its jarring but its also very python-esque. To each his own.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I've always found the ending to Blazing Saddles very irritating. In the same style as Holy Grail but less in touch with the rest of the movie.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The Holy Grail ended that way because they ran out of money.

I hated the Sneakers ending(not because it ruined the movie).

If you remember, the Redford character uses the device to take all of the money out of the Republican National Committee and gives it to the United Negro Fund. What made me mad was that it was done to the RNC only. If it was also done to the DNC, that would have been OK but it was done to only one political party. What upset me is that the money in question was actually donated by people to the RNC. That kind of left a bitter taste after what was a pretty enjoyable movie.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Chasing Amy is a film with an ending that is designed to illicit controversy.

IMO, the film is great until the final scene...a change-up of a scene that is so far out of character that it affects the whole film.

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Along Came a Spider - I don't even remember the ending, I was so sick of all the stupid twists and turns I just wanted the movie to end.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i'll Nth Sphere as a crappy ending.

also, Days of Thunder.

Carey Elwes: "i know Cole! he always goes high!.... wait... he's going low! D'oh!"

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
For me, it's my childhood favourite The Black Hole. The movie isn't great, but had some potential, but the ending of the film just blows. All notions of plausability or realism are thrown out the window, then we're treated to a psychadelic 2001 inspired trip to wig-out city which is neither interesting or impressive to look at. And why oh why, when the crew is hallucinating in the ship as they hurtle through the blackhole, do they hear lines of dialogue that they weren't even present for? The other liones make sense, but several of the lines were said in their absence, so what the hell? Not to mention why is the robot hallucinating with them, he's a robot.
Anyways, besides the black hole, the other movie that comes to mind is Tron another staple of my childhood. I still love this movie, but find that everything after the lightcycles is pretty boring. The MCP always looks lame, and there's just a whole lotta dull going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks