What's new

Movie deaths that stayed with you... (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Another guy here, who completely understands this. The first moment you mentioned really hit me, and made the second moment you mentioned resonate more than I thought it would.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Oh, and how can I forget the very end of The Grifters. The very definition of fucked up. People walked out of theater shaking their heads.

--Jefferson Morris

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The Green Mile had two that were real hard hitting -

Eduard Delacroix [due to botched up execution]

and, of course

John Coffey, who was innocent, but executed anyway for the crimes of "Wild Bill". Speaking of which, that is one death I cheer for, because Wild Bill REALLY deserved it.

Michael Clarke Duncan was the real standout in this film. I had read the serial novel years before, and he WAS John Coffey, with all of his awesome power and innocence.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

Ditto. Maybe it's how real it all looks. Can you imagine being in that position? Feeling the knife slowly slipping into your chest and into your beating heart? Feeling the pain in your heart as it starts to split apart and fail? Knowing that you will certainly die at the hands of an enemy so close to you that you can look at him straight in his eye and even smell him?

It just freaks me out every time I see it...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Heck yes! I actually didn't care too much for the movie, but that's one of my favorite endings to a film. Just a brilliant moment.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Another one that stayed with me, although it's not human
, is in Frank Capra's Broadway Bill when Bill, a long-shot race horse, is running the climactic race, just after he crosses the finish line, his heart bursts and he drops dead on the track. It is a REALLY bittersweet ending to an early Capra comedy-drama.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Okay, last one, I promise. In S.O.B., when Richard Mulligan is shot to death trying to steal back his movie from the studio. I love that film!

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
I do agree that Simba finding his father dead got me chocked up while watching it.

Mickey's death
in Rocky 3 was bad.

Apollo Creed'd death in
Rocky 4 is so bad for me that I still have trouble watching it to this day.

Gage's death
in Pet Sematary still gets me.[/spoiler]

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Well, in Revenge of the Sith:

Padme's death really stayed with me because, for one thing I really didn't think it would happen (considering what Leia says in ROTJ), and two, because it was at the hands of Anakin himself.

That sticks with me emotionally. For sheer brutality, in House of 1000 Corpses, where Bill is turned into "fish boy."
That was just damn weird.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
The Abyss. Still one of the most intense scenes I've ever encountered.

Does that count? Since...you know...

she ends up living.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Don McKellar's 1998 film Last Night does not show a death, but information about a death is revealed so innocently that when I realized what had happened, it was that much more devestating.

Have to mention American Beauty, of course.

Here's an odd one: I watched The Life Aquatic with a group of people, some of whom dozed off during the film (granted the film has that effect on some people). When they awoke and asked me how a particular character died, I couldn't remember. I think that the scene was so chilling that by the end credits I'd already begun repressing it. Of course there are psychologists who don't believe repression is a real mechanism, but they are mistaken.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, use spoiler tags if you're going to mention a specific character's death. Don't assume everybody that reads this thread has seen all of these films. Thank you for your consideration.

Crawdaddy

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Several posts in here have nothing but the spoiler tag. How is someone supposed to know what movie they're deciding to spoil or not spoil for themselves?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
2001 A Space Odyssey
HAl 9000

Ikiru
Kanji Watanabe

Blade Runner
Roy Batty

Twin Peaks
Laura Palmer

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What you are reading might have been a spoiler for a movie you want to see. But you wouldn't know until you highlight the box (and are spoiled) because I didn't ID the movie before the box.

Of course you may say I didn't have to highlight the unidentified spoiler box but what's the point of your post then if no one reads it?

Big pet peeve of mine, 'cause it makes no logical sense what so ever. Yet people do it all the time

--
H

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
The first one that comes to mind is the first victim in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I could not sleep that night!!! The sound of his death sent chills down my spine.

Another memorable one was in Glory when the 54th "faced" the Confederates inside the fort. It was a school field trip and everyone in my class came out of the theater in silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks