What's new

Movable Ceiling-Mounted Projector? (1 Viewer)

DanThomas

Agent
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but I thought I'd try here first. Feel free to direct me elsewhere if this isn't the right place.

I want to ceiling-mount my new InFocus 4805 projector. But I want to have it on some sort of track so I can move it closer to the screen, and further away, whenever I want to. The reason I want to do this is because I want to have a smaller picture for SD daily viewing, and a larger picture when I watch movies, so it feels "special" to watch movies.

Here's what I have in mind:

Since I have to manually adjust the zoom and focus on the projector, I want to have the projector be about seven feet or so above my head (I'll figure out exactly how high I can reach comfortably).

I'm thinking I can hang the projector mount from a track of some kind. Perhaps something like the kind of track that sliding closet doors hang from. So the mount would be a platform of some kind, with, say, four arms that go up to the track and have wheels on them. I can slide the mount forward and backwards by hand.

I may have to vary the angle of the tracks at the two different stopping points, so I don't have to mess with the angle of the projector. I'll probably have to adjust the Keystone a little, but that's no biggie.

Anyone ever done this? Anyone have any ideas of the best way to do this? All suggestions will be appreciated!!

-Dan

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
What size picture are you going for? What are the biggest and smallest sizes? That would help.

Also, 7 feet from the ground puts the image pretty close to the floor. Make sure you measure that off as well.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
One of the 'secrets' that some installers I know use (in permenant, commercial settings,) is to use a unistrut 'grid.'

Two mount cross-path, and allow the projector to be slid side to side for proper centering, and the other two run along-path, to allow for a fine-tuning image size with fixed focal-length lens.

Conceptually, you could do the same, but with a much longer set of 'rails.' Cabling, however, will be awkward - you'll need a way to keep the cables from drooping down into people's faces.

Leo

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Use a garage door opener. It could be mounted higher and you would have a remote :D

DanThomas

Agent
I have to laugh -- someone else said that to me also. I'm picturing a Tim Taylor-type disaster. :eek:

-Dan

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
The zoom feature doesn't hold enough difference in size for you?

I set my PJ back as far as the screen will allow at maximum zoom and then the zoom ring allows me to get a smaller more detailed picture when needed. No need to move the PJ.

DanThomas

Agent
Well, I don't have long enough cables to put the projector at the distance I want, so I'm not sure if the zoom has enough difference or not. The cables should arrive today or tomorrow.

I do have an idea of how to mount it and have it be movable. If I decide to build it, I'll post some pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks