What's new

Moulin Rouge (1952) (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite films is coming out on DVD on June 15th from MGM, John Huston's Moulin Rouge. I think this is one of the most beautifully shot color films of all time and I'm hoping that the DVD gives it justice.

Charles H

Screenwriter
On June 15, DVD Planet is also releasing MASQUERADE in the same catalog bundle. Does anyone know if it is the Cliff Robertson (1965) one or the Rob Lowe (1988) one?

MOULIN ROUGE (1952) has always been problematic on video (VHS and Laserdisc). There is an interesting discussion of it by DP Oswald Morris in the John Huston documentary on disc 2 of THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I'm wondered about that too since MGM owns them both, but I have a feeling that it's the Rob Lowe film.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a big John Huston fan, so yes, I'm happy to hear that this film is coming out. Where did you hear? I check the Bits and DVDFile daily and haven't seen this. Is there another, up-to-date source? Or, perhaps you're the most up-to-date one here! Which is why I check HTF, too. :)

Now, tell me that The Asphalt Jungle is coming out on DVD and I'll cry with joy!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
It's up for pre-order over at DVD Empire but no special features are listed.

And Charles, the Maquerade being released is the Rob Lowe film.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting that DVDFile lists Moulin Rouge as "Full Screen Only" as if it's lacking a widescreen version. I do believe that, like the African Queen, it's supposed to be full screen. Am I mistaken?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
That's correct Fredric. Cinemascope didn't appear until a year later (1953).

DVD file should change its wording, they might cause people to avoid buying the DVD.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
John Huston's 1952 film Moulin Rouge starring Jose Ferrer streets June 15th.

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope that MGM has taken the time to properly restore this film. I would be a shame if they just took an old video master and slapped it on this DVD. Considering MGM, however, the results could be shaky...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Is it just me or is that cover art evocative of Moulin Rouge '01?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks