Supporting Actor
William Topley
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Nik Kershaw guilty pleasure of mine
Lyle Lovett
Shawn Colvin
William Ackerman
Kings X
Geez, I better stop, I could go on and on. I tend to like a lot of underrated musicians. There are some good suggestions in this thread that I'm gonna have to go check out now.
Phil

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis's version of "Angry All the Time" beats Tim and Faith's by a landslide, although I never fault anyone for covering Bruce's songs. And not only is Kelly a great singer, she's a babe too. ;)

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Kelly is extremely attractive. It certainly does make some of her songs work that much better. I ordered my ticket last night to the Dallas show and I'm really looking forward to it. I guess she's a busy mom now days and she doesn't tour much. I'm glad she's making it up to Dallas :) .

I didn't even know that Bruce was her husband the first show I went to of theirs. He had a pretty large following at that show himself. They make a great team! He may be a good one to add to the underrated artist list. These shows are a real treat if any of you are going to be in Texas next month.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Tori Amos (who's most recent work recaptures a lot of what I loved in the initial recordings.. but damnit, where is Under the Pink in SACD or DTS or anything?)
I think some of it has to do with the change in labels, but who knows.

I'll add beck to the list, I felt sea change was a lot better than some critics gave it credit for.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I would say:

Kasey Chambers
Badi Assad
Van Morrison (he has great albums that almost always overlooked and he keeps getting better)

Critically acclaimed but often overlooked by public:

Beck
Ryan Adams
Trey Anastasio

and numerous jazz artists who don't get their due like Clark Terry.

TomCW

Second Unit
Kasey Chambers... OH YEAH!
Saw her (and her dad Bill) live last week. They were great.
Bill opened and played a few from his new cd 'Sleeping With The Blues' and brother Nash joined them for one song.
If you ever get a chance to see Kasey and /or Bill live, don't miss them!
Tom

Greg.G

Stunt Coordinator
The definitely are rock legends, but unfortunately as separate identities. Very few people who have heard solo Gabriel or Collins-era Genesis have heard 'I Know What I Like(in your wardrobe)' or 'Supper's Ready.' It doesn't make it any easier that progressive rock has such a bad name especially in light of the fact that Genesis really wasn't a pompous, overblown act like most most of their contempories(ELP, KC, Yes, Tull).

I was pretty shocked when I first saw a belgian TV clip of Gabriel all skinny, long-haired, huge necklace-endowed, and playing the flute(?!?) simply b/c it was eons apart from the pop and world music I had always associated him with.

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
Bob Mould..his stuff with Husker Du, Sugar and his solo material...

his work with Husker Du paved the way for power pop/punk music....

Manus

Second Unit
PORCUPINE TREE !
Its one of life's major mysteries to me that this band aren't better rated. And for anyone just discovering them they have a rich and varied back catalogue to explore AND they're available on 3 Dvd-As ( In Absentia ,Deadwing and Stupid Dream ).

Steven Wilson , their main composer, also has another life's worth of music recorded on other projects , most notably Blackfield.

~M~

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Marillion.

I'm a bigger fan of the first five albums than much of their later material (which I still enjoy very much), but I'll never understand why their more recent efforts never became HUGE.

Songs like "Cover My Eyes," "Map of the World," and "Between You and Me" should have skyrocketed these most talented musicians to superstardom. Radiohead and Coldplay became gigantic (I don't like either band) while Marillion struggle to keep afloat (their most recent album "Marbles" was financed by fans).

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Butch Walker (both as a solo artist and with The Marvelous 3)
King's X
Faith No More

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

An interesting comparison. . .they took opposite turns at similar points in their careers. Radiohead got all experimental while Coldplay went in a more commercial direction. Both seem to have done OK though.

I'm hoping that Porcupine Tree will match their success -- they're not entirely different, but they're definitely better. :)

As for Marillion. . .don't bother trying to figure out why a good band hasn't met with more commercial success. You'll just drive yourself nuts. (Personally, I like Fish's solo work better than Hogarth-era Marillion, which is just OK for me.)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Personally, I like Fish's solo work better than Hogarth-era Marillion
I really love the "Vigil..." and "Internal Exile" albums (though the latter took some time to grow on me, largely thanks to the "sea" of "Official Bootlegs" Fish has released through the years). I like certain tracks off "Sunsets..." and "Suits," and I thought "Raingods with Zippos" had some interesting moments, but the man's lost me lately. I still haven't heard "Fellini Days" or "Field of Crows" (I need to rectify this situation for "completist's" sake).

After viewing Marillion's "Marbles on the Road" DVD a few months ago, I went back and "re-discovered" Hogarth-era Marillion. I used to HATE the "Afraid of Sunlight" album, but "King" and the title track are nothing short of brillliant.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Here's my list:

Joshua Radin
Cary Brothers
These two are starting to gain success thanks to Zach Braff and Scrubs

Peter Frampton - the man may once have been the biggest thing in the world but he's not so much anymore. I saw him live on Monday night and he was amazing, still one of the best guitar players around.

The Shins - Still fairly overlooked

that's all i can think of right now...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Actually, I haven't heard either of those albums either. Didn't even know about 'em! (I've been a bit out of the loop.) But Sunsets On Empire is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant (its tour was one of the best live shows I've ever been to, and the live DVD is excellent).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks