What's new

Most Underrated Music Artist (2 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Aimee Mann
Jon Brion
Glen Phillips
Nickel Creek (Sean/Sara Watkins)

(coincidentally all four can be found playing at The Largo in West Hollywood!)

Neil Finn
David Mead
Steve Ward
Wayne

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
Dave Matthews Band, they always seem to get looked at as a college frat band. very talented group of guys in that band....they put on a great live show also. check out their dvd's Listener supported and Folsom Field.

Peace

d

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Alright...I am a strange bird I know and most will not share in my thoughts on this...but for me, these are the artist that have been the most overlooked and underrated:

1) Barbara Mandrell- To me, this woman will always be the pioneer of why country music is what it is today. Spanning the music scene from 1968 to the early 90’s, she brought into the genre the big show attitude and showed that it took more than simply standing behind a microphone to entertain people. Her music was all over the place, though she was never truly country, she was never truly pop. She made it her own. Barbara also brought white soul music into the country limelight by taking on songs that were normally recorded by men. She was also no stranger to controversy not only with the way she handled herself and her music, but also with the car accident she had September 11, 1984. Bouncing back amid much hatred due to miscommunication, she showed she had the staying power to withstand it all. With a style and grace that had only been seen in few women in country music, she left the business behind in 1997 to focus more on the world of acting. Suggested cuts: “If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don’t Want to Be Right,” “Till Your Gone,” “Rolling Stone,” “One of A Kind, A Pair of Fools,” and “Fooled By A Feeling.”

2) Pat Benatar-From hard-edged rocker to soft balladeer, this trained opera singer took the men’s world of Rock and Roll and gave it a women’s flair. She got tired of playing by the rules of the industry and basically took her music into her own direction. Though it didn’t pave the wave for great chart success, it did at a spark to her music that had never been known before and without a major label, released some of her best music to date. Her forthcoming release is entitled “GO” and it is supposed to be released in August of 2003. Suggested cuts: “Girl,” “Here’s My Heart,” “We Belong,” “Life Is Sweet (Strawberry Wine),” and every track of the 1988 release “Wide Awake In Dreamland.”

3) Martina McBride-I cannot help but see her and think of how humbling this woman is. Not only a great heart, but also a wonderful voice. Though she has only been a force in music for the past ten years, she is leaving a legacy already. Suggested cuts: “Independence Day,” “Concrete Angel,” “Where Would You Be,”basically anything on her greatest hits album!

4) Patsy Cline-This one woman has inspired so many of today’s artist in not on the country field, but music overall. Though her life and ultimately her career cut short in 1963 when she killed in a plane crash, there is no denying the legacy that this one person left. She had a talent in her singing that simply doesn’t happen that much in today’s music…you could feel the emotion. Patsy only sang what she knew about and you could tell that she had lived her music. She is neither country nor pop, she simply is her own genre. There will simply never be another Patsy. Suggested cuts: “Crazy,” “Sweet Dreams,” “Faded Love,” “You Belong To Me,” and “Your Cheatin’ Heart.”

5) Annie Lennox- Not a textbook beauty by any means, but this woman is pure and simply one of the most beautiful people on the planet. Such talent and voice is often missed by most of the general public, but the people that love adore and cherish Annie are truly inspired by her and her art. She also has the ability to take the most tragic of events and turn them into beauty and poetry. Her new album comes out tomorrow, “Bare,” on June 10, 2003. Suggested cuts: “Don’t Ask Me Why,” “Cold,” “Legend In My Living Room,” “Little Bird,” and the latest single “Pavement Cracks.”

6) Tina Turner-Good ol’ Ms. Bullock. With a life of poverty and struggle from childhood to adult, this one woman has symbolized many things all in one package: Talent, beauty, strength and pure raw sex appeal. Not much can be said about this woman than what you can find in any book on music or simply from one listen. The energy is next to nothing. Suggested cuts: “The Best,” “Rock Me Baby,” “Whatever You Want,” “A Fool In Love,” and “Love Thing.”

7) Cyndi Lauper- When she burst onto the scene in the early 80’s the critics said that she would be the one, verses Madonna, to have a long career. In many ways, she has succeeded in leaps and bounds. Again, like Pat Benatar, not being constraint to a major label has brought out the best in Cyndi and her music. Being a long-term supporter of the gay movement, she has endured herself to many a man or woman for her strength, courage and individuality. Suggested cuts: “Shine,” “Ballad of Cleo and Joe,” “I Drove All Night,” “I’m Going To Be Strong,” and the gay anthem, “True Colors.”

8) Dolly Parton-Alright, so she is known for those big breasts of hers, she is also known as one of the best singer songwriters to come out of any form of music. Long a supporter of gay’s, Dolly will always be known as that woman with the big boobs, the big hair and one of the biggest hearts that you will ever come across. Suggested cuts: “Light of A Clear Blue Morning,” “But You Know That I Love You,” “Mountain Angel,” “Old Flames Can’t Hold A Candle To You,” and of course the classic song “I Will Always Love You.”

9) Stevie Nicks- Like Pat Benatar, this woman simply rocks. First coming into the music world has the voice behind Fleetwood Mac, Stevie’s solo career has been nothing more than simply amazing. Being one of the best singer songwriters, the emotions conveyed in this woman’s work is astonishing. Also, having been through her share of troubles (most by her own doing) she doesn’t place the blames on others for the problems that she has had. Suggested cuts: “Planets of the Universe,” “Trouble In Shangri-la,” “Talk To Me,” “Leather and Lace,” and “Stand Back.”

10) Shirley Bassey-To most American’s, she is simply know as the lady that sung some of the best themes to the James Bond movie series. To our neighbor’s overseas, she is a consistent artist that continues to sell out venues like Wembley Stadium. Much like Patsy Cline, you can feel the power and emotion behind ever song that Shirley sings. Very classic and very dramatic and a voice like no one else. Suggested cuts: “My Life,” “Never Never Never,” “The Greatest Performance of My Life,” “Can You Read My Mind,” and “Goldfinger.” (There are also dance remixes available of many of her cuts.)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Angie Hart

Who is she, you ask? Well, that's how underappreciated she is!

Her voice hypnotizes me every time I hear it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, Jeff Beck was not ever underated in his time. Maybe he a little forgotten now?

Jon, that might be the best suggestion yet! Ry has been on so many great albums, not just his own, accross a variety of styles without ever getting particularly famous. He and Nils Lofgren are on Crazy Horse's self-titled album and it's dynamite. Ry done it all seemingly...:star: :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Gilbert - If he hadn't accidentally offed himself while "autoeroticizing" in 1996, he'd have won a boatload of Grammys by now. He made Sheryl Crow a zillion dollars and was the driving force behind the brilliant Toy Matinee album. Check out his solo albums "The Shaming of the True" and "Thud". If you like prog, pop, and everything in between, Gilbert's loss was the biggest since Hendrix.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious as to what you mean by underrated. I'm a hardcore Genesis and PG fan, but don't think they're underrated. Compared to who? They're rock legends.

TomCW

Second Unit
Evan S is right about Shawn Colvin... also very under rated but very good:

Kasey Chambers
The Be Good Tanyas
Tift Merritt
Kim Richey
Kelly Willis
Mark Selby
Patty Griffin

Tom

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lisa Gerard,While Dead Can Dance was fairly known,I don't think it was a media favourite.
Since then Lisa is doing solo[almost],and if it wasn't for films like Heat,Gladiator,and The Insider most people wouldn't know about her.

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, you will never see a more talented live act around, Bela, Victor, Futureman & Jeff all are incredible.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Is Dolly Varden an all trout band?
Yes, yes they are. :D

Run, do not walk, to http://www.dollyvarden.com ...

And, speaking of underrated: although Ryan Adams is the most famous ex-member of Whiskeytown, he is not necessarily the most talented. Check out either of Caitlin Cary's solo LPs or her EP. BTW, heard rumor of Whiskeytown reunion album/tour, at least 3 members involved (Adams, Cary, and her husband, who was the drummer I think).

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Fiona Apple - So glad to see others mention Fiona. While she did get best new artist with Tidal I didn't think When the Pawn got it's due credit (at least numbers wise, not that it is the most important thing, but I would hate for her to stop making records). New album coming out this fall! Who makes the decisions on what albums should be put out in high rez format? I would love to have Fiona's material in high rez! I'd buy a damn SACD player just for one of these albums.

Kelly Willis - I know it's a matter of taste, but I love Kelly's voice. She's actually playing a couple of dates in Texas next month with Bruce.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Kelly is really great and I have liked just about everything that she has done. The problem is...she doesn't fit into a catagory and that is what the business is all about. She is simply music that is good and doesn't need to pigeon holed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks