What's new

most overpriced but popular speakers? (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I think Polk is definitely overpriced as they have well over a 50% mark up,(& yes I own Polks)
Phil you better get a patten on that thing I can just see Emerson trying to steal your idea......
{ Emerson the Bose of the future }:laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to agree with Tyson here! Pick a price point, any price point. Now pick a quality speaker kit and a commercial speaker that fit that price point. The kit will wipe the floor with the commercial unit.

Brian

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Geez Brian,
I clicked on your link...A little self promotion going on around here me thinks;)
Anybody bad mouthing Polks is going to get an ass whoppin...Me and Ron P. will come by your house and abuse your pets!
I mean it!
I'm serious damnit! :angry:

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Frank,
I have a set of Polk's in the bedroom. I'm thinking about badmouthing them if you will stand behind your promise of abusing one of my pets. It's in the back yard and gets more attention from my wife than I get. :angry:
POLK SUCKS;)
Just kidding, but is the offer still on the table for the pet abuse.
damn dog eats better than I do

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Frank,
No self promotion at all. I've been building speakers from kits (and my own sub designs) for 3 years now and I firmly believe you can pick a price point and beat a commercial speaker with a similarly priced kit. Most kit speakers are geared towards people that can build their own cabinets. If you can, there's little reason to buy commerical speakers any more unless you have something that you're just in love with.
I'm mostly only providing cabinets for GR Research kits at this time, but I'm also doing custom subwoofer designs and finishes.
BTW, I'm not too familiar with Polk but I'd take them over the Boston Acoustics speakers I've heard! :)
Brian

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Actually I'm not allowed in Virginia anymore....
You guy's have some strange laws out there!

Brian,
Just having a little fun at your expense, no offense intended. There are some great kits out there that do sound pretty good.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Let me think a minute....
100 pounds of Jello,
Girls locker room,

It was in Virginia alright!

Well maybe her name was Virginia,

Either way my wife says I'll violate parole.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
BTW, I'm not too familiar with Polk but I'd take them over the Boston Acoustics speakers I've heard!
Brian,

I absolutely agreed until heard the vr-m series (like the one suggested). They are head and shoulders above anything else BA has done (of course, they cost more, too).

Matt Freeman

Auditioning
Im gonna go with Klipsch. I got their multimedia dream system (ProMedia 5.1 w/ DD-5.1) for about 3 days and hated it. The decoder they sent me must have been broken, and while the sub was killa, the sats all sounded rather bright and tinny. That and there was no way to hook up a computer (the intended source for the speakers) and the decoder at the same time without going out and buying more splitters. Parents have a Klipsch sub and it works well most times, but it will cut out occationaly. So yeah...

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I built the Proac Response 2.5 clone for around $800.00, which even includes cherry veneer. The commercial Proac Response 2.5 costs around $4500.00. It has been proven that the clone measures the same as the real thing. Man do I feel good.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Hehehe... My first reaction was "Wilson Audio".
I guess that depends on how you define "popular." I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd, cuz I'd love to hear a pair of WAMMs in a home. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't pay around a quarter mil for a pair of speakers, but I'd sure like to listen to them on someone else's dime(s).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
when i finally got to hear the def techs, i wasn't impressed either. one package seemd to cost the same as B&W 604's next to them, and the B&Ws were much more interesting to listen to.
the def techs i heard, on the other hand, seemed purely functional.
nothing i've heard in a store in the $1000-$2000 range has made me feel that there was a huge gulf between any of the brands. some imaged a little better with music (but still not as well as i was hoping to hear) and everything seemed perfectly functional for HT.
not bad, but just...unimpressive.

if i'm going to spend $1500-$2000, i want to be impressed,
not just satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks