What's new

Most Insane Tweaks Thread (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Substantiate, please. I haven't heard anything, including explainations of the differences, that would support your claims, just claims.

RobWil

Supporting Actor

I know....all amps the same, all cables the same, everything the same, same, same. Chu is just no fun at all :frowning:

ArthurJ

Second Unit
This post is pretty damn presumptuous of you Chu; I agree that some of the aforementioned tweaks are out to lunch but you listed numerous products that are proven to work through valuable diagrammatic measurement and engineering. The “BEAK” is one “tweak” that is time-honored and accepted by the likes of John Atkinson. You are more than likely oblivious to what the Beak Pod can actually do for your speakers measured frequency response. The high frequency difference when using the “Beak” is measurable and quite apparent. The tweeter generally has better linearity in the 15K Hz to 20K Hz range (by as much as 1.5dB). Therefore, better staging and imaging occurs in the crucial crossover point. The 1 to 2.5 dB dip can be alleviated by as much as 1.5 dB. Outcome, better harmony between woofer and tweeter, resulting in enhanced speed, impact, and transients. Now I’m not saying all beaks that are marketed to be placed atop your speaker are the same. The Beak is specially engineered and milled in a prescribed form which controls resonance and emanation. These distortions occur within a strict range; the beak channels common distortion and moves it through its cavity to the discharge point on top.

I would also reassess your finishing thoughts on the subsequent products, maybe do some research, or rather put some time and thought into your unsophisticated insular posts as to why you think they are voodoo. Please provide reference to back up your claims.

ISOLATION (Transport Isolation, Speaker Isolation, Component Isolation)
CABLES (Interconnects, Speaker, Termination, “POWER CORDS”)
CONDITIONERS – VERY dependent on application
BREAK IN –Do you believe in breaking in your car?

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Individuals who define there self-worth through there system are insecure with themselves, Individuals who judge and disparage others for purchasing products (tweaks) and implementing them are usually insecure with there system.

You don’t see my system signatured at the bottom of my posts.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Totem speakers use lock mitred jointing on all there speakers, this increases rigidity within the cabinet structure. They take this one step further by veneering the internal cabinet as well. They use borosilicate damping (expensive; sound waves dissipate a lot faster) instead of foam/polyfill, the cabinets by themselves are some of the most dense I have seen, they employ angles cross braces to break up standing waves and to take the cabinets rigidity to that extra level of refinement.

“However, while the modes are visible, they are still relatively low in level; I suspect that the ridges of delayed energy in this plot are actually due to the behavior of the air enclosed in the cabinet.”

The sand fill-able chamber at the bottom of the FOREST is actually used to re-enforce bottom end when not being filled with sand or lead-shot. The following magazines have reviews where the beak was reported to make significant changes to the sound of the speaker when being placed atop.

ULTRA HIGH FIDELITY
ABSOLUTE SOUND
THE MAGAZINE OF MUSIC AND SOUND
THE AUDIOPHILE VOICE

The beaks can be used on any loudspeaker.

Lastly, FYI I do own a pair of Totem Acoustic Forests. If you have the chance, listen to a pair, if they have the beaks in the showroom get the dealer to do a double blind test.

Chu, where are you located and what are you using for speakers?

I will consider sending you a pair of beaks to "try".

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Chu,

It has been a while since I've visited this forum, but I always look forward to your posts, especially in the Tweaking section. The information and critical thought you contribute here are a great service.

--Nathan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
What is it about us that after we buy a product, we look at everything that's written by the advertising and marketing groups and not only swallow it hook, line, and sinker, but we ask for more? Suddenly our objectivity is lost and rather than reading between the lines as to what is really being said, or not said as the case may be, we take the most favorable view consistent with our purchasing decision. Then, to assuage any concerns we might have, we seek out other happy users and reviews that support our buying decisions, often recommending what we have so that others may see the light that we have seen.

I don't direct this at you per se, Arthur, but at all of us. I've got nothing against Totem and my suggesting that you own them was nothing more than a wild guess. Well maybe not so wild :D Perversely perhaps, because I've got personal as well as familial involvement in the advertising and marketing area, I've got the 'Good Angel' side that looks to bring clarification and a critical eye as to what is said and written.

Let's look at some of your statements, which have been culled from a number of sources, and examine them.

Totem speakers use lock mitred jointing on all there speakers, this increases rigidity within the cabinet structure.
OK. Compared to what? They don't say.

They take this one step further by veneering the internal cabinet as well.
Yes that is one step. So? Well one thing it does is that it will increase the mass, assuming the veneer has appreciable weight which will have an effect on controlling the vibrations. It will also change the frequency distribution somewhat.

They use borosilicate damping (expensive; sound waves dissipate a lot faster) instead of foam/polyfill, the cabinets by themselves are some of the most dense I have seen, they employ angles cross braces to break up standing waves and to take the cabinets rigidity to that extra level of refinement.
So they use fiberglass. That works in much the same way as wool, felt, and a host of other materials do by changing what happens inside the box from adiabatic to isothermal mechanism. Not 100% mind you, but in effect what happens is that the enclosure appears larger than it really is. You're not going to eliminate standing waves no matter if the structure is a cube, sphere or whatever. The vibrations may be hard to analyze, but they exist since nothing you put in that speaker is going to 100% absorb all the energy. Just ain't gonna happen.

As far as the rigidity goes, again one needs to refer to the Stereophile link provided above. The reviewer noted that,
Thanks, but if you've got a 23 yo female housekeeper working without a visa and with questionable morals, that'd be more appreciated. She can sit on the speakers in the official maid outfit.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I was reading about cabinet design, and it is said that a cylinder has the least modes, but the driver has to be mounted on the CURVE of the cylinder, not on either end. Second best - sphere. Third best of all - basic rectangular shape; that's why it is still the most widely used.

Norh's "hamhock" speakers (that's what they look like to me) went a long way to reducing internal standing waves, as well as density. The marble ones were just crazy; now THAT'S dense.

Cabinet resonance is actually desirable to some extent, though it should not intrude on the sound. A cabinet does not need to be completely "dead" to sound good.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I haven't been on this forum in a while but it seems nothing has changed. Chu is still posting his own arrogant dribble on this forum.
:thumbsdown:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I thought that was particularly witty on my part. BTW, the word is drivel and not dribble.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Since personal attacks are not allowed on this forum, I will just say that I find Chu to be anything but arrogant, after all it is not arrogance when you can back up your position with scientific fact and reasoned analysis. What this says about those making the accusation of arrogance? Well, I'll just refer back to my first statement about personal attacks and leave it at that.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm not offended by it. Things get a lot more personal in a bar discussing things that matter like what were the Washington Wizards thinking when they hired Michael Jordan?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I know. I just love the fact that the replies to your posts frequently boil down to simple accusations of "arrogance", yet almost never contain a rebuttal on analytical or scientific grounds.

As someone once said "Righteous indignation is the last bastion of defense for a failure."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks