What's new

Most Episodes with no Season Set DVD Releases (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
France and the English audio tracks were included (At least for the later seasons that didn't see release here... not sure what the situation is for the earlier seasons that did make their way out over here but I imagine the situation is the same). The thread isn't about shows that don't yet have their entire run out that ran for many episodes, but shows that ran for many episodes that have yet to see a single season be released on DVD. So the Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction have seen season releases and wouldn't qualify and My Three Sons has seen its first two seasons released with butchered audio, albeit split across two volumes per season. And I believe Ironside has season releases as does Quincy M.E. Sad to see all the fine classics from the 50's on that list that are still absent of any sort of proper release for even a single season. But at least progress is being made like with Dennis the Menace being out in its entirety since this thread was started, Timeless bringing shows out, Dobie Gillis from Shout Factory that was announced a few days ago (I'm not a fan, but an awful lot of people are around here so I was happy to hear it), the progress being made in preparing Ozzie & Harriet for long overdo season releases with nice transfers, the pending release of season sets for Sea Hunt, etc.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A good show that falls just short of the 100 episode cutoff is Hennessey which checks in at 3 seasons and 96 episodes.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Ron1973 said:
Any particular country in Europe? I would be interested in that!
read about the dvd section. it is france where all 5 seasons have been done. it will be here, eventually. we just tend to be greedier than most countries. i think the studios are learning their lesson, though. it has not been productive for them to put out a less than stellar set, first. with amazon, one can find out fairly quickly from the feedback, what the release was like. the edited ones never do well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_to_Heaven

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jimmyjet said:
read about the dvd section. it is france where all 5 seasons have been done. it will be here, eventually. we just tend to be greedier than most countries. i think the studios are learning their lesson, though. it has not been productive for them to put out a less than stellar set, first. with amazon, one can find out fairly quickly from the feedback, what the release was like. the edited ones never do well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_to_Heaven
I'm beginning to see that European countries tend to value our product more than we do. I've never invested in DVD's from any place other than domestic companies but I have bought tons of CD's from Bear Family, a label in Germany that specializes in hard-to-find American stuff and some not-so-hard-to-find. I've invested in their complete recording box sets of Johnny Horton, Jimmie Rodgers and Jim Reeves as well as a friend who gave me their complete output on Hank Snow.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron1973 said:
I'm beginning to see that European countries tend to value our product more than we do. I've never invested in DVD's from any place other than domestic companies but I have bought tons of CD's from Bear Family, a label in Germany that specializes in hard-to-find American stuff and some not-so-hard-to-find. I've invested in their complete recording box sets of Johnny Horton, Jimmie Rodgers and Jim Reeves as well as a friend who gave me their complete output on Hank Snow.
Highway to Heaven was Mentioned, but let's not forget ALF, where Lionsgate gave the usual lame "only Syndication masters were good enough!" excuse, yet just a few years later, WB in Germany released the complete series with all but three episodes in original broadcast form. And then there are shows like NYPD Blue, The Tick (animated), and Ironside that have been finished up in R2 or R4, but never made it past the midpoint of their runs in the US. And then, shows like LA Law that are getting full releases in Europe without a single season planned for the US. It would be great if there were a Bear Family for TV in the UK that could get abandoned or unreleased shows in the US released in R2.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Ron1973 said:
i have over 100 of bear family box sets. it is the one piece of music that i am keeping - most i buy, rip, and sell.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmyjet said:
i have over 100 of bear family box sets. it is the one piece of music that i am keeping - most i buy, rip, and sell.
I have quite a few of their individual releases (Jimmie Logsdon, Leroy Van Dyke, Narvel Felts, Gene Pitney/George Jones duets and more). I know when I buy something from them it's going to be good. Other than that, I generally wait for things to hit the bargain rack. The Hank Snow sets were the only one I didn't buy. A friend at church asked me if I was a fan and a few weeks later I had one MP3 disk of all the Hank Snow sets, 1004 songs!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
many people have resorted to keeping mp3s as their only source. i do create mp3s for my ipod and portable listening. however, i am ripping to wavpack with exact audio, as i want my permanent copy of the music to be "complete". now that terrabyte drives are somewhat inexpensive, we can really store all of our cd rips on these drives. one never knows what might happen in the future, and i dont want my only copy of the music to already be truncated. i have all the hank snow sets (i think 5), but i dont think i have listened to any of his yet. of all the people i have listened to, my very favorite country person is hank's "canadian cousin", wilf carter. those are about the only 2 old time country stars from canada, of which i am aware. wilf carter dates all the way back to jimmie rodgers and the carter family (not related). wilf was born in 1904. hank in 1914.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmyjet said:
many people have resorted to keeping mp3s as their only source. i do create mp3s for my ipod and portable listening. however, i am ripping to wavpack with exact audio, as i want my permanent copy of the music to be "complete". now that terrabyte drives are somewhat inexpensive, we can really store all of our cd rips on these drives. one never knows what might happen in the future, and i dont want my only copy of the music to already be truncated. i have all the hank snow sets (i think 5), but i dont think i have listened to any of his yet. of all the people i have listened to, my very favorite country person is hank's "canadian cousin", wilf carter. those are about the only 2 old time country stars from canada, of which i am aware. wilf carter dates all the way back to jimmie rodgers and the carter family (not related). wilf was born in 1904. hank in 1914.
I don't guess I'm familiar with Wilf but he does sound worth checking out. I intend on eventually investing in the Bear set of the Carter Family, too. I love some Wildwood Flower!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
wilf carter is very unique. the first boxset of 8cds is called cowboy something or other. it is not that good, because it is not that rich, musically. they did not really capture his voice all that well and there is not a lot of music to back it up. they originally put out a single, called dynamite trail. then they followed it with a 4 cd boxset - i think prairie something or other. anyways, this is his prime stuff. that single and the boxset combined is complete, for that time frame. it is odd that they simply did not just release a 5 cd box set. his later stuff is good, but his voice is not as good by then. i think he sang in 6 decades. his melodies have a very sing-song effect, sorta like polka. they just have a happy sound to them. and he is the best yodeler i have ever heard. there are all sorts of youtube videos of him. and if you listen to quite a few, i dont think it will be hard to detect when his voice was at its prime (probably 10-20 year time frame).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Interesting that it's mostly 1950's black and white shows that are passed over.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Richard V said:
A good show that falls just short of the 100 episode cutoff is Hennessey which checks in at 3 seasons and 96 episodes.
What a fabulous show that was. It's a shame that it's almost totally forgotten.

I saw a really bad print of one episode on YouTube a year or so ago, and while it looked and sounded horrible, it reminded me of what a charming show HENNESSEY was. That video was gone the next time I checked, but I'm thankful I at least got to see that while it was there.

Harry

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
I put a little list together of shows with 100 or more episodes that have not be released on DVD without any complete season sets. No best ofs. No "TV favorites". Only U.S. releases. At least one complete season released. For obvious reasons I didn't include game shows, talk shows, soaps, variety shows, series done mostly live, etc.Lassie - 587Death Valley Days - 532Ozzie and Harriet - 435G.E. Theatre - 293Burns and Allen - 291 (including 1st 2 live seasons)Dragnet (1950s Version) - 276Fireside Theatre - 268Jack Benny - 256 (also includes live episodes)Life of Riley (Bendix) - 217The Millionaire - 20777 Sunset Strip - 205The Lineup (a/k/a San Francisco Beat) - 201Love That Bob - 173LA Law - 171
Empty Nest - 170Adventures of Rin Tin Tin - 164Step By Step - 160Bachelor Father - 157December Bride - 157
Cold Case - 156Lawman - 156Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshall - 156Ben Casey - 153Trapper John M.D. - 151Chicago Hope - 141Judging Amy - 138Hawaiian Eye - 134The Defenders - 132Our Miss Brooks - 130Four Star Playhouse - 129Sisters - 127The Gale Storm Show (a/k/a Oh Susannah) - 126My Little Margie - 126The Steve Harvey Show - 123Yes Dear - 122
Batman - 120I Led 3 Lives - 117Whirlybirds - 117The Wonder Years - 115Head of the Class - 114Lou Grant - 114One on One - 113Wild Bill Hickok - 113Grace Under Fire - 112Amen - 111The Hogan Family - 110The Parkers - 110Kit Carson - 104The People's Choice - 104Private Secretary - 104The Farmer's Daughter - 101Unhappily Ever After - 100
The list has gotten smaller. Still a lot of 50s shows on there, most owned by CBS. They don't seem to be very interested in doing anything with them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Neil Brock said:
The list has gotten smaller. Still a lot of 50s shows on there, most owned by CBS. They don't seem to be very interested in doing anything with them.
Unfortunately this is true. I think we really have hit the wall in terms of b/w releases. Sure, we will see a scattered few here and there, but I think the glory days of multiple 50's releases per month are long gone.

Gary "once CBS finishes up Rawhide and the b/w Gunsmokes, I'm not sure they'll release anything else of that vintage" O. :(

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Gary OS said:
Unfortunately this is true. I think we really have hit the wall in terms of b/w releases. Sure, we will see a scattered few here and there, but I think the glory days of multiple 50's releases per month are long gone.

Gary "once CBS finishes up Rawhide and the b/w Gunsmokes, I'm not sure they'll release anything else of that vintage" O. :(
I agree. CBS 's reluctance to release less popular vintage shows coupled with
Timeless 's apparent move away from the old shows means we'll be fortunate to get an occasional release . Not sure, what's up with TGG direct. Will Ripcord be their last ZIV relaease?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Updating the list:Lassie - 587 (Classic Media)Death Valley Days - 532 (Independent)Ozzie and Harriet - 435 (Independent)G.E. Theatre - 293 (Universal)Burns and Allen - 291 (including 1st 2 live seasons) (Sony)Dragnet (1950s Version) - 276 (Universal)Fireside Theatre - 268 ???Jack Benny - 256 (also includes live episodes) (Universal)Life of Riley (Bendix) - 217 (Fox)The Millionaire - 207 (CBS)77 Sunset Strip - 205 (Warner)The Lineup (a/k/a San Francisco Beat) - 201 (CBS)Love That Bob - 173 (Universal)Empty Nest - 170 (Disney)Adventures of Rin Tin Tin - 164 (Sony?)Step By Step - 160 (Warner)Bachelor Father - 157 (Universal)December Bride - 157 (CBS)Lawman - 156 (Warner)Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshall - 156 (CBS)Cold Case - 156 (Warner)Ben Casey - 153 (CBS)Trapper John M.D. - 151 (Fox)Chicago Hope - 141 (Fox)Judging Amy - 138 (Fox?)Hawaiian Eye - 134 (Warner)The Defenders - 132 (CBS)Our Miss Brooks - 130 (CBS)Four Star Playhouse - 129 ???Sisters - 127 (Warner)The Gale Storm Show (a/k/a Oh Susannah) - 126 (Granada)My Little Margie - 126 (PD)The Steve Harvey Show - 123 (Sony)Yes Dear - 122 (CBS)I Led 3 Lives - 117 (MGM)Whirlybirds - 117 (CBS)Head of the Class - 114 (Warner)Lou Grant - 114 (Fox)One on One - 113 (CBS)Wild Bill Hickok - 113 (Sony)Grace Under Fire - 112 (Carsey-Werner)Amen - 111 (Universal)The Hogan Family - 110 (Warner)The Parkers - 110 ???Kit Carson - 104 (Universal)The People's Choice - 104 (CBS)Private Secretary - 104 (Fox)The Farmer's Daughter - 101 (Sony)Unhappily Ever After - 100 (Disney)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
An impressive list of successful shows that deserve to be available on DVD. Let's hope a small or larger company sees the potential there. You have to wonder though - how do shows like Man with A Camera ,or Dangerous Assignment (both of which I bought and have enjoyed) get releases on DVD but not shows like December Bride or Dragnet?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wonder If Life With Lucy from Spelling productions 1986 will ever get a release? The show was canceled before all the episodes aired. I wonder if CBS has the rights since they have Dynasty.

The Colbys I think will be out next year but has yet to see a release.

I would spring for Life With Lucy even though I never finished The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy which the first two seasons I never even opened and bought just the Liz Taylor season.

I would love to dump those first two seasons of Here' Lucy. The other show I retired to my basement was Tales of the God Monkey after all the scandal. I only watched a few episodes but want to dump that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks