What's new

most disturbing scene or episode on tv . Spoilers abound (no reality/news please) (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Not necessarily.

Actually, there is a condition known as polyspermia (in which more than one sperm penetrates one egg) which sometimes (rather infrequently) occurs naturally, but is very common when dealing with in vitro fertilization. The most common abnormality is a triploid (three pronuclei - one from the female egg, the other two from two separate male spermatozoa), but malformations containing 4 or 5 pronuclei (one from the egg, all others from separate sperm) are sometimes encountered. There is even a specific medical procedure which is often necessary for IVF patients when polyspermia occurs. This procedure attempts to remove the extra male pronuclei and thus increase the chances for a viable zygote (since most polyspermic zygotes aren't viable, or would lead to extremely gross abnormalities if nurtured to maturity, due to the extra sets of chromosomes in the mix).

It would indeed be a rare occurence, but such a triple fertilization (timing would be a major factor, of course), and even the subsequent live delivery of such a grossly abnormal infant, are technically possible. Not likely, but possible.

In IVF, a polyspermic zygote would either undergo the technique I referred to above, or else just not be used. A malformed or abnormal (abnormal meaning "other than just being polyspermic") polyspermic zygote would definitely be abandoned. In the Peacocks' case, however, such a malformed zygote/embryo could indeed develop naturally (without medical detection or intervention), and perhaps even be born alive, although it would almost certainly die very soon thereafter.

Nature can sometimes be very cruel, and very terrifying.

KieranO'C

Agent
For me recently was the second-last episode of Season Two of Rescue Me. First we get a really vicious scene of domestic abuse involving the lesbians, and then, when we thought that nothing could top that, BAM they kill Denis Leary's kid with a drunk driver. Very depressing.

Jeff'Reys

Auditioning
I usually prefer to see light material and reading thru some of the posts in this tread makes me glad I missed many mentioned here, altho I was un/lucky enough to see the HOME episode of X-F that's been heavily discussed.

My contribution would be seeing Leland Palmer viciously kill Madeleine on Twin Peaks. That was the first and by far the most gruesome thing I've ever seen on TV and I've seen every episode of OZ. What makes that scene particularly terrible is the fact that Leland's her uncle, he murdered his daughter, and had had incestuous sex with Maddy's cousin, Laura, and her friend (Rhonda?) and he may have whored out his daughter as well, the details are sketchy after all these years.

Sick & twisted.

DaleC

Agent
"Home" stuck with me a VERY long time. Other XF eps that disturbed me were "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," (Peter Boyle was phenomenal) and "The Field Where I Died," which leaves me feeling heavy and depressed every time I watch it. They're all brilliant episodes which everyone should watch.

The Shield has provided quite a few, like the end of the pilot episode, or the infamous "Stove Incident," where me, my wife and our friend were ALL squirming on the couch shouting, "OH MY GOD! WHAT THE ___ IS HE DOING????" And what really seals it is how the stove element is STUCK to his face!

I watch the new Battlestar Galactica and find a couple of those episodes disturbing:

"Scar" -- Disturbing for the fact that it shows how everyone is dealing with the loss of the pilots, and all the negative effects it has. By the end of the episode, when Starbuck starts listing off the names of pilots lost, we were almost in tears... this is my favourite episode by far.

"Flesh and Bone" -- Starbucks interrogation of the Cylon prisoner disturbs me every time I see it. Why? Because he LOOKS human and ACTS human. The torture makes me squirm, but not her because she knows he is NOT human. It's a disturbing subject, and not without relevance to todays headlines.

Another shocker: ER, where Romano loses his arm. It's just the shock value where I went WOAH! I Can't believe they showed that!!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The final episode of Law & Order this season took me by surprise. First because it started out almost identically to the next to last episode of L&O:CI, but then they kill off Alex Borgia in a brutal and sadistic way. I thinks she has been my favorite ADA since Claire Kincaid (who they also offed).

The only thing they can do to make me happy is bring one of the foxes over from the apparently cancelled Conviction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks