What's new

most disturbing scene or episode on tv . Spoilers abound (no reality/news please) (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Gotcha...now it makes sense. Yet another reason why censorship SUCKS!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
"Home" is so over-the-top creepy and wonderfully twisted. It is disturbing, but entertaining.

"That's My Dog" is torture.

I watch "Home" every once in a while. It's like a great, creepy horror flick.

I will never watch "That's My Dog" again. It wasn't even LIKE TV, and it never TRIED to be anything near entertaining. Pure, unadulterated torture. Scary, horrible stuff.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Anybody mention NYPD Blue deciding they needed to show us Dennis Franz's ass? My vote would be Janice/Ralphie. My friends still refer to it as "The Ralphie Treatment" when someone is getting a particularly hard time in sports, relationship, etc.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Ah, more censorship. I've never seen Franz's ass, nor Caruso's, nor Gosselaar's nor Schroder's or anyone else's (for that matter I didn't get to see Sharon Lawrence naked either, but hey it goes both ways). In some ways at least one could "argue" that the nudity in NYPD wasn't really integral to the story, unlike what happened to Aceveda in The Shield, even if I could sort-of figure it out from the context and from subsequent references.

Humph. I'm glad, though, that I've mostly watched Sopranos on DVD, rather than local TV.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Sadly, neither did we, since the much-touted "nudity" on Blue was greatly exaggerated. The side of a breast, the odd bare butt flash, a nude in sillohuette or a clearly nude character blocked by strategically placed props or other objects (my favorite was Connie's breasts being concealed by Theo's ears thanks to the placement of the camera when he accidentally walks in on her when she's about to get into the shower.)

Hmmm...

Amy Brenneman
Sharon Lawrence
Gail O'Grady
Justine Miceli
Kim Delaney
Andrea Thompson
Garcelle Beauvais
Charlotte Ross
Jacqueline Obradors

*sigh*

Talk about a show that should have been on HBO. :D

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

Joe

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I would have to say Buffys' "Dirty Girls" ep... Xander's blood curdling scream while Caleb is gouging out one of his eyes.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Ironically, one of the few episodes of X-Files that I ever saw all the way through was indeed "Home." Quite an impression that one leaves!

And my disturbing Buffy moment was the death of Tara.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"Home" is about an inbred family (the Peacocks) consisting of a woman and three sons (one of which is the father of the other two). The episode starts off with them burying a baby (massively deformed, even by Peacock standards) in a lot adjecent to their house. Soon afterwards some local kids are playing baseball in the lot and they find the dead baby. Mulder & Scully investigate, and since the many generations of Peacock inbreeding is unknown to them, they think that the Peacocks might be holding a woman captive.

The investigation by Mulder, Scully and the local police prompts the Peacock boys to break into the police captain's home and murder him and his wife in a particularly brutal and violent scene for a television show. When Mulder, Scully and the deputy raid the Peacock home they discover that it's full of deadly traps in case anyone tried to jeopardize their decades-long isolation from the real world.

The traps kill the deputy but Mulder & Scully make it inside, where they find mother Peacock, a quadruple-amputee strapped to a board under the bed. They learn that the Peacock parents were in a car accident years before and that the boys refused them medical treatment. All the generations of inbreeding had left the Peacocks unable to feel pain, which helped the mother survive the crash and subsequent stitching-up by her sons, though the father was killed instantly.

The episode ends with the two younger Peacock boys attacking Mulder & Scully. Mulder & Scully obviously prevail, though killing them is the only option since they can't feel pain, and mother Peacock and her oldest son escape. The episode ends with a coda of the two of them in the trunk of a car, the mother vowing to start a new family with her son and find a new home, though the episode was never sequelized on the show.

I personally think it's one of the best episodes of the show but I don't find it terribly disturbing. Even though inbreeding is obviously possible the episode still has a fantastic quality that gives it a "monster movie" vibe.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ok - I got a new winner, possibly the most disturbing thing I've seen in a long, LONG time (and keep in mind, this was in a FAMILY show)

Last weeks Doctor Who: Rise of the Cybermen had the bad guy kidnapping homeless people and turning them into Cybermen. As the captives are being marched off to the factory that'll convert them, they start screaming in agony. The bad guy overseeing the process says something like "Oh, the noise! Here, give me track 19" to a minion.

Track 19 is "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" which plays over a montage of evil looking devices doing their conversion work and long shots of factories belching out smoke, with a bed of muted screaming. As the last shot - the exterior of the factory - fades to black, there's one lone faint scream.

It's not graphic or gory - but holy crap! If that doesn’t send the kids scrambling behind the sofa, then NOTHING will. (and then of course the Cybermen go on to be completely bad ass at the end of the episode)

ThomasJames

Auditioning
From the old show St. Elsewhere

Mark Harmon's character picks up a woman in a bar while on vacation. Takes her back to his room for sex...........

she is sitting on top of him as he lies on his back....the music swells...she is gyrating in a sexy back and forth manner....he's eyes are closed as they pump up and down....she reaches it to her mouth...pulls out a piece of glass....and begins to slash his face to shreds........

Most powerful scene I have ever viewed on TV........

Lauren Dayap

Stunt Coordinator
The skin shedding scene in Supernatural

Episode where Buffy's mom died (talk about frrreaky)

The "Home" episode in X-Files

Sean screwing Kimber's inflatable doll in Nip/Tuck

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

I personally think that this is precisely what makes the episode so deeply disturbing and horrifying, on such a gut-wrenching emotional level...the mere fact that it IS possible.

In a show which routinely dealt with monsters, myths, ghouls, ghosts, and anything and everything supernatural...this was different. There was absolutely NOTHING supernatural about the Peacocks. In fact, they were purely natural, in the extreme...the ultimate extrapolation of human existence in isolation... Their only goals were survival and continuation of the tribe/clan, and their continued isolation from the rest of society...and they pursued each of those goals in the only way they knew how.

Human nature, in its absolute most primal, most feral form. THAT's what makes it so terrifying, at least to me.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My thoughts too Linda. I am as jaded as a guy gets. I work in an emegency room, and have for almost 25 years. "Home" still scares the HELL out of me! Of course i show it to everyone that has never seen it. :P

Cant wait to see the Cybermen here in the US again. I wonder how many people will think Dr Who ripped off the Borg?

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm a Medical Technologist (for 23 years), and I deal with, handle, and process anything and everything that comes out of (or off of) a human body...literally. Blood, guts, and gore don't faze me. Physical deformities, in and of themselves, don't faze me. Bodies without body parts...or body parts without the body...I see them every day.

This episode, though... The so-called "big picture"...knowing how everyting came to be as it's presented to the viewer...yeah...that scares the hell out me too.

I'd love for the next XF movie (if it ever actually gets off the ground) to be a stand-alone sequel to "Home"...a few years down the road...but only if they can match the quality and feel of the original episode. I'd be totally bummed out if they attempted it and screwed it up.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
wow =). people still give much love to XF =). nice. i think XF2 movie will be dealing with horror-type storyline, which has defined much of the show despite latter seasons.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the revelation that all three Peacock brothers were simultaneously the father of the dead baby at the beginning places the episode firmly in "fantasy" territory.

I'm not denying that it's a great episode, I'm a huge fan of the work Morgan & Wong did on the Ten Thirteen shows and I'd rank "Home" among their very best but I just can't find it all that disturbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks