What's new

Most Disappointing Transfer ? (1 Viewer)

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
The Longest Day
Spartacus
Escape From New York

Patton

I can't use the Tier ratings on AVSForum. Placing Django from Blue Underground as a 4.5 rating and BU continues to deliver impeccably good transfers with great depth, colors and the original grain preserved. It makes no sense.

I treasure titles like Bram Stokers Dracula and Last of the Mohicans. They look fantastic on a large screen.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
I watched Deliverance last night, which was pretty underwealming. The film was made in pretty harsh conditions, so maybe it just looks like that.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The transfer I'm *most* disappointed with is:

"Predator -- Ultimate Hunter's Edition"

As has been stated here on numerous occasions, it now looks like a Pixar production rather than "film". And this was FOX'S *second* attempt to bring it to Blu-ray!

Other disappointing transfers:

* "Short Circuit" --- One of my favorite "guilty pleasures". The DVD was non-anamorphic and the BD is 1080i. I guess we'll *never* get a great transfer for this wonderful SCI-FI/Comedy.

* "Die Hard" -- Looks like upconverted DVD. The audio portion of the disc is great though!

As for "The Sound Of Music": I was *very* happy with that package. It absolutely blows the 40th Anniversary DVD out of the water. Perhaps the person complaining about this movie has never seen the film in a theater? I have, and this Blu-ray does a *great* job of replicating that experience!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus * "Die Hard" -- Looks like upconverted DVD. The audio portion of the disc is great though!

If Die Hard looks like an upconverted dvd, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the actual dvd, because that really looked bad.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I'd put Die Hard With a Vengeance on the disappointing list. The other three were about what I would expect (Live Free being reference), but Vengeance had some EE left over from its DVD incarnations that distracted a bit.

The Godfather I & II, disappointing?! I have to wonder what your expectations were for those, not in terms of the age of the films, but in terms what they were trying to achieve with the cinematography. It had the feel of an old photo album from the period being brought to life. Is that what they were trying to achieve? Don't know for sure, but what is there fit the films and the period perfectly, and looked great on Blu-ray.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Folks,

Maybe y'all wanna wait for that 1-post, newbie to contribute more before taking his Godfather panning all that seriously.

_Man_

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool /forum/thread/312484/most-disappointing-transfer/30#post_3826295

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Die Hard with a Vengeance had always looked so terrible on home video that the Blu-ray seemed a mamoth improvement over previous incarnations, and I forgot to look carefully for flaws. For me, the first two on Blu-ray are not top notch in video quality but the last two fulfilled all of my expectations.

re: The Godfather. I always loved the first film. I tried to love the second one. When I saw the second one on blu-ray, I fell in love with it. The restoration actually made a difference in how I experienced the film and changed my views on it. That's what a faithful transfer CAN do.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I guess I'm so used to the lousy quality of the Die Hard dvds (particulairly 1 and With a Vengeance) that ANY transfer that looks remotely filmlike is considered a huge improvement.

GerardC

Agent
Die Hard on blu-ray stomps all over the Five Star dvd release. Way more detail and colour fidelity while the added resolution makes sure this movie finally has a pleasing movie like image in your home theater; on my calibrated full hd 1080p 46" plasma at least!

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
I remember being horrified at what Ocean's 13 looked like on Blu, but maybe that was just due to the DV cinematography. The reds look like a fuzzy 1988-era VHS tape!

Writer-dad

Grip
Real Name
Daniel MacDonald
Total Recall was my biggest disappointment, although maybe I had a defective disc: there were vertical lines running through the picture that looked like poor scaling or something. I gave it away the day after I bought it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Writer-dad

Total Recall was my biggest disappointment, although maybe I had a defective disc: there were vertical lines running through the picture that looked like poor scaling or something. I gave it away the day after I bought it.

If you're interested, the region-free (or region A/B) UK version is supposed to be better, but still has some issues it seems. I imported it at a decent price from Amazon UK some time ago, but haven't gotten around to watching it so far.

_Man_

Writer-dad

Grip
Real Name
Daniel MacDonald
Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping the Total Recall remake's release in 2012 will prompt a shiny new transfer of the original.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Aliiance's movie-only release of Blade. It doesn't look terrible, but it's hardly reference (BD-25) and it's cropped to 1.78:1, which is unforgivable. Hopefully Warner/New Line will get these movies out soon on BD.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr

Joe Dante's Gremlins. The BD just barely looks better than the DVD.

I am always flabbergasted by comments like this. Sure, the Gremlins BD may have the usual Warner filtering and mediocre encode but barely better than the DVD? Come on, have you actually compared them? There is no contest. Same with Die Hard.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Reading this thread makes it painfully clear why blu-ray will continue to have an uphill climb to gain widespread public acceptance. Most of the examples cited here (The Godfathers, Die Hards, Gremlins, most of MGM's output) are perfectly fine transfers - it's the original photography that people have an issue with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks