What's new

Most cost efficient multi switch for my Directv system?? (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please describe what you are trying to accomplish. There are many different multi-switches for many different applications.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you are only using one tuner in one of your DirecTivos, you need a 2x4 (or 3x4) switch. Try the first switch on this page. Just ignore the OTA input.
-Robert

Robert Ma

Second Unit
On this topic, how come they can't do 1 input / 2 output splitting? You thing they could if they go from 2 in / 4 out.

I just ordered my DirecTivo unit and have to pick up a dual-lnb and run another cable....

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, can I use this cheap 25 dollar multi switch in my setup?

2 18" dishes and the OTA antenna all going into the multi-switch. Then just the one out from the multi-switch to my receiver and I'm good to go?

thanks alot guys!

Jim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

It has to do with the 13 volt or 18 volt signals that are sent to the LNB to properly tune in the right/left polarized frequencies (even/odd channels). On the other hand, you can use a splitter if you buy about $300 worth of LNB stackers/de-stackers.

Jim,

If you are using the two 18" dishes in place of the eliptical dish, then the cheap switch won't work. Scoll down to the 5x4 or 5x8, that's what you need.

-Robert

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh ok. thanks so much for all your help Richard!! Would have taken me months to do this without all your knowledge and help.

thanks again,

Jim

Real Name
Michael Martin
Robert Ma, I believe a 1 in-2 out splitter won't work since the splitter has to use both lines to switch back and forth.

You seem to have my same tastes when it comes to $$ over absolute peak performance as I do. Not that you don't have a nice system, but that you look for the best possible deal when buying equipment. I got my 50" Toshiba for $600 from some friends at a local finance store that repo'd a brand new unit when the customer would not make their payments.

On another note, I have a Yammy rv-1000 and it turns off when I have the volume turned up(not extremely loud) and there is a crash or something loud happens onscreen. I have NHT superones, superzeros and supercenter hooked up and connections are solid. Do you think this would be fixed and adding an outboard amp?? I'm scared to drop the money if that's not the fix.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Michael,

It sounds like your "Yammy" is going into protection mode. I'll bet it was designed to drive 8 Ohm speakers and you NHT's are 4 Ohm or the have some impedence dips based on frequency. Try some different speakers and see what happens.

-Robert

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Michael,

I agree with Robert_J. And if thats the problem an external amp for 4 ohm speakers would be the fix.

Bob

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Uh oh. I just ordered an Onkyo 898 with NHT sc-1 for center and super zeroes for the other 6 channels.. will I have this problem?

Robert, as always.. you are the man!

thanks,

Jim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not familiar with NHT speakers but you still may have an impedence dip that your receiver can't handle. Impedence isn't a flat line across the frequency spectrum, there are peaks and dips.

Post this question in the Home Theater Hardware section. There's a lot more traffic and maybe someone will have the same speakers/receiver combination.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks