What's new

most brutal violence (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
I was trying to think of the most brutal scenes of torture/violence I can remember seeing in the movies. Some scenes that came to mind were. ( in no specific order)

1)The torture of the cop in resevior dogs

2)The killing of the family in Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer

4)The beating of the retarded villager in Platoon.

5)The torture/killing/rape of the village girl in Casualties of War.

6)A few of the scenes from Texas Chainsaw Massacre -dinner table scene etc...

what are some other that were memorable upsetting?

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Two scenes in Irreversible are hands down the most difficult I've ever watched.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, Irreversible is probably the worst I've seen for depiction and duration.

When I was younger I was super disturbed by the rape scene in the Accused, so much so that I have no interest in watching it as an adult.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Cannibal Holocaust has a few memorible scenes in it.

The turtle and the villager torturing the woman with a chunk of wood up her hoo-ha.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
THE PASSION isn't even in my Top 20. Matt mentioned CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, which is still banned all over the world. I doubt too many non-cult fans could sit through this one. You could also add EATEN ALIVE, JUNGLE HOLOCAUST, MAN FROM DEEP RIVER, MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD and CANNIBAL FEROX. All of these feature graphic rape scenes, real animals being killed and the director's cut of CANNIBAL GOD features a man taking advantage of an animal.

Even the most jaded gore fans have trouble with these films so I'd love to show them to a more mainstream crowd to see how they react. :D

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Here's a quote from a highly disturbing one, for me as a dumb little kid:

"Bend over that stump and SQUEAL like a pig!" :eek:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Here's my funny story about that movie:

Deliverance was one of my dad's favorite movies, so I saw it at a pretty early age but only on television. I had no idea what was really happening in that scene, believing the guy was just being humiliated by having to act like a pig. I don't know if my dad knew either but I doubt he was about to clarify it to his 10 year old son :)

Flash foward about 10 years and I'm telling my outdoors-lovin', Born Again Christian friend about the movie, still clueless about that scene because I hadn't watched it any other time except when it was on TV. He rents it the following weekend to watch with his Bible Study group...Surprise!!! :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Brief, and more suggestive than anything, but it definitely qualifies: The curb scene in American History X. Ugh.

--
H

chris winters

Second Unit
i find that the less graphic, but still violent scenes in "mainstream" movies are more upsetting then the more explicit ones from campy gore films. I remember the curb scene from American History X and the Private Ryan knifing scene as both being upsetting as well. I checked out Cannibal Holocaust on the web, and not sure what to make of it? Is it a blair witch rip off? Fictional production pretending to be authentic lost footage etc...Who has seen it?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Not so much blood and gore, but "Audition" makes me as squeamish as just about anything I've seen.

I can usually handle the opening sequence of "Irreversible", but I've never sat thru the entirety of the rape scene.

I'm a fan of this movie, and I don't consider it exploitational like "Cannibal Ferox" and such fare, but consider me thankful that I can forward to the next chapter!

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
Blair Witch is actually a ripoff of Cannibal Holocaust, not the other way around...CH is very, very disturbing indeed, but the "mondo" movies are, for me, the most difficult to watch...the most insane scenes of faked violence have litle effect on me (being a makeup artist occasionally in my spare time, I can appreciate the "artistry" that goes into creating a nice FX shot), but the real thing really gets to me...
if you want to see some of the most brutal, realistic FAKE violence ever, look no further than Flower of Flesh & Blood or The Devil's Experiment from the Guinea Pig Japanese series of films...very disturbing stuff...I have yet to see Aftermath, but also suspect it will rank up there too :)

chris winters

Second Unit
so do the cannibal movies have faked violence or real violence? How were they made? Laws would not permit the filming of real violence in the states, yet they looked like an american production? Im confused.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, the cannibal movies are sort of relics of a bygone era, that era being (in my opinion) the "golden Age" of horror/exploitation films, the late 70's/early 80's...it was a very different time for extreme movies in that they could actually be seen at a theater (grindhouse) or drive-in and generally didnt care one bit about their (usually bogus) R rating...the distributors would often slap a fake R rating on thier picture & put it out completely uncut (imagine the trouble they would get in in today's conservative climate!)
Often the animal violence in the cannibal movies was very, sadly real, & it was a pretty vile practice, & was used to make the human "murders" feel more realistic ( a load of B.S., but that's what went on :frowning: )...Cannibal Holocaust even used real "mondo" style-footage of people being executed to add verisimilitude (sp?)...besides that, no one has, to my satisfaction, convinced me that the infamous "girl on the pole" from the movie wasn't real for that matter, but I'm not gonna discuss it because it gets people too worked up :)
I would suggest you read a book called "Killing for Culture" if you want info about some of the most brutal films where real death/despair is combined with film making...it's one of the best books available about the genre
dont think that the trend of abusing animals for "art" is only something done overseas either (cannibal films are largely of Italian origin)...domestic US films have been guilty of this too (Southern Comfirt is the only example i can think of at the moment)...fortunately you dont see it much any more thanks to groups like the ASPCA & such...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
As Anthony said, this later exploitation period was full of all sorts of stuff that we would consider "getting away with". The real deaths to animals, underage girls in sexual situations/nudity and various other things. There are even legends about real humans being killed in some of these cannibal flicks, but I personally don't believe it. The director and FX guy from CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST had charges filed against them and could have gone to prison. They were accused that the effects in CH were real. It was said that real humans were killed so the FX guy had to go to court and show how he did the effects.

All of this stuff has gone away but these films still remain very popular and controversial. CH is banned in around 50+ countries and when they originally hit America, most of them had a lot of the violence cut out. Until recently the only way to see them were through bootlegs. Many Spanish productions from this era featured minors appearing nude and being sexually active (worse than PRETTY BABY) so I'm not sure how these are legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks