What's new

"Mosquito" ringtone, can you hear it? (1 Viewer)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I moved my laptop onto a table (was lap/couch before) and when its on the table I can hear the tone. Only thing it did to my dog was make her ears go down. lol.

So those of you with laptops, make sure you are on a hard surface.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When I analyzed the file, it was fine, it's just that the 16K tone is very loud (off the charts). That's probably why you hear the clicking.

PhillJones

Second Unit
That sound is easier to hear bcause they just abruptly start and stop the waveform. This effectively puts a click at the beginning and end of the sound.

Try this one

mosquito

Also, if I turn the volume up too loud, I can hear low frequency distortion. As they used to say at school, 'Remember, you're only cheating yourself'.

Actually, in that mp3 file, the sound is 16kHz, not 17, which might be part of why so many people can hear it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Frequency Analysis:

From the MP3 that Garrett posted:

From the WAV that Phill posted:

You can see that the MP3 has a lot more lower frequencies that are louder than the ones in the WAV file. Perhaps this is due to the nature of the MP3 conversion?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I give up, what do I do to truly hear this "sound"?

Two systems I've tried play it back through Windows Media Player. Is Media Player modifying the output of the MP3 file? I'm not hearing anything even slightly related to what everyone else is hearing.

It sounds like a small sound bite from an old, scratched vinyl LP.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Stan, if you can't hear the sound, you can't hear the sound. The only thing you can do is lower the frequency to a point where you can start to hear the sound...

I lowered the frequencies on the files to help people hear the noise: WARNING: Listening to these too much will give you a headache! :)

-5 Semitones (sound is now in the 12K range)

-8 Semitones (sound is now in the 10K range)

-10 Semitones (sound is now in the 9K range)

p.s. I can now hear all three. If you still can't, I can go lower...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just listened to the sound PhillJones put up.

Came through loud and clear, no more annoying than the beep from a cheap alarm clock.

This is the supposed "secret" sound that us 30+ elders can't hear?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
OK Mark, for the first time I heard what people are talking about. All three MP3s were very annoying high pitched tones. With the -10 Semitones file I heard a low and high pitch tone together.

I don't know whether I can or can't hear the sound from the link the original poster provided. Like I mentioned above, I hear playback that sounds like an old scratched vinyl LP.

Don't mean to hog this thread, but the whole "hearing" thing fascinates me. A few years ago, a hard drive began to fail in computer at my last job. It was very intermittent, but it made this high pitched squeal that drove me crazy, yet none of the 40 or so co-workers in my area could hear it.

Listening to the on/off squeals, I was finally able to track it down, knew exactly which system it was coming from yet even the person using the computer couldn't hear it. A week or so later the hard drive croaked and the sound went away.

I'm just curious about this whole thing and would like to hear a true version of this "sound".

Can I really hear Mariah Carey's high notes and dog whistles? I don't know. Maybe this thread will tell me the truth.

PhillJones

Second Unit

You could try hooking you PC up to your main stereo, assuming it's a good one and generating the sound with audacity like I did or some freeware signal generator.

You may just have better than average hearing.

Tim L

Second Unit
whoa- that is pretty annoying- I can hear it fine- but still wouldn't want to use it.
Tim

Kevin T

Screenwriter
my fiance and i could hear both the mp3 and the wav files clearly. i'm 28 (29 in july) and she's 31. who says all those heavy metal concerts will ruin your hearing! now i can use this as justification to purchase even more expensive stereo equipment.

kevin t

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Actually, it's the other way around. The mosquito tone was created to scatter teenagers in public places. It was the teen-agers who discovered that they could use it as a ringtone. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_Ringtone for more info.

Alas, it doesn't work all that well as a ringtone either. A surprisingly high number of adults over forty (including myself) can hear many variants of the mosquito ringtone. In my case, it hurts my ears.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Neat. But I'd still love to get one of those things because I can't hear it. I could walk around with it blarring all day. :D

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Garrett's first post mentioned this. Talk about a thread going full circle. lol

Also, I'm 45 and knew the kids were using it for texting and not taking calls. I guess I'm just more hip. Just kidding.

On my Toshiba Satellite laptop, I couldn't hear the original tone. My wife, who is 41 and has much better hearing, could hear it fine. I put my ears right up to the speaker and could barely hear the tone.

Using this link I was able to hear the 18K, but not the 19K. I'm 32 using Altec Lansing computer speakers. I could hear the click of 19K, but not the tone. Very interesting.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
:D, I haven't looked at this thread in a while.

That's funny. It reminds me of those jokes on the Simpsons: "Cool, The army uses Hum-V's now!"

or "This is like Speed 2, but with a bus!"

:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks