What's new

"Mosquito" ringtone, can you hear it? (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Some company or another creates a 17KHz tone which is supposed to repel teenagers (so they stop hanging-out in front of the 7-11). Older people don't hear as well so most people over 20 can't hear it.

Annoying teenagers then take said tone and use it for a cellphone ringtone, so parents, teachers, and adults in general can't hear it.

Heres the tone played twice: http://www.jamster.co.uk/storage/vie...c_Sound_16.mp3

I'm 27 and I can only hear it if my computer speakers are ALL the way up, and I'm within 3 feet of the speakers. I guess CDs 20,000Hz ceiling limit would be lost on me, eh? (saying nothing of SACD's 40KHz limit).

PS: Its really annoying if you can hear it.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm 28 and i can hear it just fine.

unless they can speak at this frequency as well, i'd say the adults would hear something from the phone call.

CJ

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I'm 29 and I can hear it just fine. Annoyingly so, in fact.

As Christ says (hee), a "silent" ringtone is worthless for stealth purposes, if you're gonna take the call.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm 34 and I THINK I heard it. I heard it twice, once near the very beginning of that file, and once again about 4/5ths of the way through. Very high pitched, and VERY annoying, the first time was more annoying though.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Mid-30's and I can hear it. Doesn't bother me, but we have a summer intern at the office who goes crazy every time someone plays it. Maybe if it's played long enough his head will explode like in Scanners. :laugh:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
24 and I could hear it just fine. Really loud and annoy too, even with my computer speakers as low as they go before mute.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was talking to someone about this and they brought up a good point...Why don't the kids just use 'vibrate' mode?

But (as was mentioned) the 'teen only' sound is moot if you have to answer the call to begin with.

I'm almost 36 and I heard the tone. My laptop speakers are hardly on and I'm playing music through iTunes and I still heard the sound.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1) It is being used for texting.
2) Most "vibrate" modes are loud enough, especially if the phone is in contact with a hard object, that they may as well be rings.
3) In a large classroom or lecture hall it is perfectly possible to have a discrete phone conversation (or chat with a nieghbor) without being heard by the teacher. Heck, with an ear-bud it would be hard for the teacher to tell you weren't talking to the guy at the next desk, which tends to be less of an issue for instructors, especially at the college level. It is not possible to have your phone ring without calling attention to yourself.

4) A big reason for cell phone bans is that the rings themselves are disruptive. This does solve that problem.

5) What sound? I've played that thing four times with the speakers turned all the way up and I hear nothing. Of course, I'm older than rest of you. :)

Regards,

Joe

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
36 and I had no trouble hearing it. I even turned my speakers down to the point they were almost off and I still heard it. It certainly is annoying.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Wow. I can hear it just fine, and I'm in my upper 40s.

Of course, my deficiencies in other areas more than make up for my good hearing.

How many rock concerts can these whippersnappers attend before they can't hear this ringtone anymore?

They do still have rock concerts, right?

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

Hopefully that's my problem because I don't hear anything but the clicks. Just turned 38 and probably went to a few too many rock concerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks