What's new

Moronic Question (1 Viewer)

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all.
Does anyone have any experience conducting an on-screen operation (i.e. setting speaker levels) without a television? The receiver is an ELITE vsx99 from 95. No screen on the receiver itself.
If i took it to another room to setup, would it keep the levels after I unplug it and transport and plug it back in?

Now I feel dumb.
Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, most receivers will retain the settings for at least a few hours (and probably longer), but how exactly will you adjust the speaker levels in ANOTHER ROOM???

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I would just have to do a trial & error blind test.
Besides, I already know what the ideal settings should be.
Mains-small
Sub-yes etc.

thanks for the reply.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You said speaker "level" setting, which typically not done by trial an error. Level calibration involves doing actual measurements with an SPL meter and making real time adjustments, which is why I questioned the ability to make the adjustments to the receiver in a room other than the one where the system will be. Good luck. :)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Although it might be a bit of a pain to do, you might try this:

Take level measurements for all you speakers without adjusting anything and write them down.

Ok, let's say your left speaker measured 72db. When you take the receiver upstairs, raise the left channel up 3db. Repeat for all channels.

Now take you receiver and hook it back to your main system and take measurements again. If I'm right, you should be very close.

You may have to make a few trips upstairs, but it is certainly doable.

A better solution would be to borrow a small TV and hook it up to your receiver temporarly so you can see the onscreen menu while setting up your levels.

Hope something in here helped!

JimmyK

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
What is the "goal" when calibrating your system.
I am new to the whole SPL meter deal, so I have no clue on this.
Should I be shooting for 75dB all the way around?

Thanks. I think I will just bring a tv in my room. That makes more sense.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got the nerve unhook everything, and take it in here to adjust the levels.
What should I set the sub level at? 0dB? or +10 ?? or what
I've got the receiver crossover set at 100 Hz. My fronts are set to large (despite the accepted feeling about this) and the rears are let to small.

The mains are Klipsch RF3II and the surrounds ss-1.
Sub- SVS 2231 PCi.

Thanks for your input.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
What is the "goal" when calibrating your system.
By setting all speakers to the same level, you will hear soundtracks as intended and the soundfield will be more cohesive.

Using a meter to accomplish this is a must, IMO. I pretty near impossible to do it by ear (at least my ears!).

It's a pretty easy process and only takes a few minutes. The results are certainly more than worth it!

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks