What's new

More Warner B&W BD plans: Maltese Falcon, Marx Bros., Errol Flynn, Bette Davis, Bogart. (1 Viewer)

I KNOW! Marxes on VHS and DVD have always been so faded and worn; I can't wait to see them shine like Sunrise!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Apparently, Warner France have let it be known that they have a a release date of November, 2010 for both The Maltese Falcon and The Treasure of The Sierra Madre.

So excited, but can't believe its so late in the year... Hope there's dozens more classics to keep me busy for earlier on...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
With any release date past 4 months (especially unofficial ones) things are VERY subject to change. See: LOTR Trilogy, Ben-Hur, King Kong (1993), all in a flier stating an intended 2009 release.

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
See: LOTR Trilogy, Ben-Hur, King Kong (1993), all in a flier stating an intended 2009 release.
Add to that list Lawrence of Arabia included on the blu ray promotion video in 2006 (!) then slated for 2009 release...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
So far I've seen a nice amount of B&W Blus...

Criterion's The 400 Blows, Repulsion, The Third Man, and The Seventh Seal are all gorgeous. Same thing for Sony's Dr. Strangelove and Masters of Cinema's Sunrise. I see that between the 1080p format and the better compression systems allow for vastly superior reproduction than DVD. The Third Man and the Czech print of Sunrise look like they were printed onto silver. There's this wonderful texture to the image that I rarely see on DVD because it simply can't handle the range of grayscale.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as we're praising b&w BDs, I'll throw in some love for two exceptional discs from the BFI - Saturday Night & Sunday Morning and Winstanley.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Ben Cheshire /forum/thread/293867/more-warner-b-w-bd-plans-maltese-falcon-marx-bros-errol-flynn-bette-davis-bogart/30#post_3618032
Add to that list Lawrence of Arabia included on the blu ray promotion video in 2006 (!) then slated for 2009 release...
Different studio, this is about Warner Bros.
And I would rather have Sony working on the title when they feel the movie still needs work, than just bring it out because of the release date. And knowing Sony's pretty good track record, that's probably exactly what they're doing.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
George Feltenstein on the Dick Dinman show (it's part IV of a series on the Oz blu-ray release), http://media.usm.maine.edu/~wmpg/arc...C%20091120.mp3)
Some good info. The only "new" info I gleaned was:
- A Star Is Born in 2010
- A Streetcar Named Desire being prepped for 2011
- Determining how to release Ben Hur
- Musicals (Singin' in the Rain, The Band Wagon, Meet Me in St. Louis) are not coming out in 2010, but being prepped

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Is there any news or updates on any marx brothers titles coming to blu-ray.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JohnS /t/293867/more-warner-b-w-bd-plans-maltese-falcon-marx-bros-errol-flynn-bette-davis-bogart/30#post_3975458
Is there any news or updates on any marx brothers titles coming to blu-ray.

None that I'm aware of.

However, looking back on my "look at the 2-disc+ SE DVDs as a guide" post, the following have been released/announced in the last 3 years:

All the President's Men (1976)
Ben-Hur (1959)
Chariots of Fire (1981)
Citizen Kane (1941)
The Color Purple (1985)
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
Easter Parade (1948)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
Grand Prix (1966)
The Green Mile (1999)
Hamlet (1996)
King Kong (1933)
Malcolm X (1992)
The Maltese Falcon (1943)
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
The Mission (1986)
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
Network (1976)
New Jack City (1991)
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Space Jam (1996)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

Not bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks